Powercolor AGP HD 3850

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Paladinchan, Jan 16, 2008.

1. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    this thingy is kicking a** seriously.. the memory overclocks so easily

cant wait to get mine.

2. Rodiac

Rodiac Member

GPU:
    HIS HD 3850 256mb GDDR3
    Ye I though it was too low, thanks for the answers.

3. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    It's just a Newegg mistake. If you look at the model number (POWERCOLOR AG3850 512MD3-P) it matches the model number for the 3850 on Powercolor's Site.

http://www.powercolor.com/Global/products_features.asp?ProductID=1730

Yeah, saw the driver listing on Powercolor's Site for 3850/3870 AGP earlier in the week but didn't bother mentioning it as there has been absolutely zero info about a HD 3870 AGP card. Not even a rumor.

4. Gump

Gump Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Radeon HD 6850
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2008

5. Berdyne Hardroc

Berdyne Hardroc Member

GPU:
    Sapphire hd3850 512MB AGP
    question for HG..................

Is Gogoboy a reincarnation of the infamous Guruboy????
    just curious, :).

6. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    It is just the chip specs.
    Well if they bring out a PCI version to crossfire it with, i'm in.
    Actually if someone brings out a 2 slot AGP board, im in again, it would be expensive though cos it needs extra chips and ram caches on the MB so not many were made and they are too old.

7. Rodiac

Rodiac Member

GPU:
    HIS HD 3850 256mb GDDR3
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  8. another-user

another-user Member

GPU:
    x1950xt
    amperage is way too weak on the 12v rails. for 2 12v rails, you want something like 22a min. on each rail.

9. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  10. Rodiac

Rodiac Member

GPU:
    HIS HD 3850 256mb GDDR3
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2008

11. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
  12. PHOENIXZERO

PHOENIXZERO Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 2600XT 512MB AGP
    What about this PSU?

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256032

It's only 400W but it has 18amps on both 12v rails.

Also, how much would my comp bottleneck this card? Would I be better off with a 2600XT and the horrors of its driver support? My CPU is only a 2.6Ghz P4c and I have 2GB RAM. Even with the bottleneck would it be worth the improvement over the 2600XT or do you guys think my CPU's limitations would negate most of the 3850's advantage?

I haven't been here in so long I can't remember if I already have that listed.

EDIT: Well, looks like it's there... Wow, my first post. o_O I signed up here a long time ago, must have just lurked.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  13. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    Not sure.
    If it is hyper threaded and you overclock it you will be ok, might not even need to depending on what you want to do.

EDIT:
    Over the 6600 you will get...
    About a 3 fold improvement on 3d mark.
    You will be able to play games at higher settings.
    In older games your framerate may actually drop over the 6600! But you can play them on highest settings without much framerate drop on top of that. I suspect the CPU is making up for something it does not have to. They might fix this up a bit in coming drivers.
    I do not think the drivers let the CPU flood, but yes it will run at half the speed of what it could... not bad for old crappy CPU's like ours though.

14. PHOENIXZERO

PHOENIXZERO Member

GPU:
    Well, with my monitor I'd be limited to 1280x1024. As for over clocking, I think the best I could do is 2.8 due to my gimped BIOs which even if I successfully flashed to the P4G800-V's bios I still wouldn't have voltage or FSB access. I tried doing it via CPUCool and I put it up to 2.8GHz which seemed fine but then I tried 3GHz and shortly after screwed up. A lack of voltage issue maybe? I know it wasn't heat related because my CPU was either below 30C or barely over it oh and yeah my CPU is a P4 with Hyper Threading.

15. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    Don't do that, you need to lock the AGP/PCI BUS or you will corrupt hard disks. A little bit might be OK if you format the drive (low level format it). It was not voltage it was the vid card or the disk controller shutting your pc off or crapping out.

16. PHOENIXZERO

PHOENIXZERO Member

GPU:
    Yeah, I have no intentions on trying to OC my CPU that way again.

17. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    I will underclock mine tonight and tell you what happens to the 3850 performance.

Even 2.8 is very risky as you would be running the buses at
    35.9/71.79

34.5/69 is about the recommended upper limit, better off getting a newer cpu off ebay for $20 though

18. PHOENIXZERO

PHOENIXZERO Member

GPU:
    Alright, thanks. :) I probably should have looked around more a couple days ago and inquired about this beforehand. I have a delivery to refuse tomorrow because I ordered a sub-par EVGA 7600GT with 512MB DDR2 RAM and PSU which I read really bad things about after taking the positive rating on NewEgg at face value and ordering... Then did a little more research and despite the uneasiness with the driver issues, I ordered a 512MB GDDR3 2600XT (256MB version is deactivated) and the PSU located at the link I posted earlier on the suggestions of others and before I could cancel it NewEgg shipped it. So yeah, it'll be a big help finding out just how great the bottlenecking will be with this CPU and if the $100+ cost increase would be worth it.

I want to get a new card before all the manufactures finally discontinue making AGP cards or continue the apparent trend of substituting GDDR3 with DDR.

19. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    Someone will no doubt make another one even better next year. The one you got overclocks OK and should be fine to make a PVR out of later if you get bored with it all.

20. PHOENIXZERO

PHOENIXZERO Member

GPU:
    Uhh, wha?? Sorry, you've lost me, maybe because I've been up so long, maybe not.... I dunno, what overclocks OK? My video card? One of the two I've already ordered due to moving to fast? :p I thought I had an idea where you were going with the PVR suggestion but then I don't know if I do... I've been almost completely out of this for almost three years....

I'm sure new AGP modded cards will come out since it's still hanging on but it seems like they'll be in very limited supply and obviously more expensive and lead to their dumbing down the RAM like they're seemingly starting to do now.

Anyway, let me know what comes of that test if you do it, I'll greatly appreciate it. :) I was looking at a CPU benchmarking site which I know isn't usually a good source of real world performance. But seeing how my CPU scored over a AMD 2500+ CPU which was used in a article on Tomshardware.com regarding older single core CPUs with new AGP cards. It's a year old and uses the X1950 but it and the first part I thought were at least a little interesting and is why I started to question getting the HD3850 over the 2600XT.

Part One:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/10/agp-platform-analysis/

Part Two:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/02/01/agp-platform-analysis/index.html

I think it's time I got some sleep.... I gotta get this sorted before that second shipment arrives Thursday.