Power Surges :(

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by vTune, Jun 22, 2014.

1. vTune

vTune Guest

GPU:
    780 GHz 3GB (will oc soon
    Hey guys,
    I have had my current setup for about 2 months now. So far I have had great success with it, but since yesterday the first major problem began.
    While i was testing my modifications in Watch Dogs, the PC would shut down after about 1 minute of gameplay.
    Yesterday this happened to me twice, today again just now. I have been modding the game the last 3 days and only yesterday did these problems start. They don't occur every time i am in the game, but they never happen outside the game.
    When the PC boots again it says something about Asus Power Surge Protection...
    I checked HWMonitor and all voltage seem to be just fine.
    The PSU is a Corsair RM-850.

Do any of you have an idea what the problem could be? PSU seems rather unlikely since Corsair is a high quality brand. The GPU, 780 GHz Edition is not OCed at this time, and no overvoltages were done.

Any tips are much appreciated :)

-vTune

2. WolfPT

WolfPT Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 GAMING X
    Try lowering your cpu oc and/or disable your mods.

3. vTune

vTune Guest

GPU:
    I actually have it on only 4.3 at the moment to cut down on heat output and more importantly noise.
    It does appear as though my mods might be the reason...
    I am wondering if I should disable the Asus protection. Some users have reported that it is hypersensitive and the shut down is a preventive measure to avoid overheating.
    I'll run the game again with the same mod. if it happens again, I guess I can blame my mod ^^

4. vTune

vTune Guest

GPU:
    UPDATE: after several more crashes even in Idle and the PC refusing to even boot after a couple times, I decided to exchange the PSU for my old HX1000. Now the cables are all colorful and the management looks terrible, but at least the PC is running again. No power surges as of yet, but I am still skeptical. Fingers crossed :)

5. Supersourav99

Supersourav99 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 270X 4G GDDR5
    Dude Disable the asus anti surge in the bios settings ! The anti surge is sensors are too sensitive. They even output small changes in voltages as a surge !
    I solved mine ! Its time for you. It's pretty useless!

6. vTune

vTune Guest

GPU:
    Idk, i dont think asus would develop a tool that is useless ^^
    Also, if my PC doesn't even boot anymore, it can hardly be related to the ASUS protection

7. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    AI Suite comes to mind

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    It could have been a faulty Power Supply since you switched Power Supplies and the problem seemed to have gone away.

9. vTune

vTune Guest

GPU:
    it was in fact the PSU. The week is almost over and I haven't had any crashes since. The Voltages are fluctuating a little more than with the new PSU, but everything is stable. Gonna RMA the RM :(

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The RM series is bad anyway, get an Evga super nova to replace it.

11. vTune

vTune Guest

GPU:
    If I RMA it, I will get a new one, not my money back ;)

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You're perfectly entitled to do what you want. I'm just letting you know that the RM-850 is one of the worst power supplies Corsair makes (and on the market right now).

13. vTune

vTune Guest

GPU:
    so what do you suggest? RMA it, sell it for 80% and spend 200 more on an AX PSU?