Power Supply for Upcoming RTX3080Ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by hamltnblue, Aug 10, 2020.

1. hamltnblue

hamltnblue Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Hello
    I read a couple of articles suggesting that the upcoming RTX 3080ti will utilize a new 12 pin pcie power connector.
    Is there a power supply currently on the market that offers this connector?
    Thanks
    Jim

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Nobody can truly foresee the tech industry future.
    Question like this always pop up before something is released, everyone can give their opinion, but in the end everyone can safely assume, nobody really knows.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  3. hamltnblue

hamltnblue Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I guess Nvidia will probably come out with some type of adapter plug that will combine some a couple of other connectors.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    this plug will only be used on OEM prebuilts where they aren't required to stick with standards specified by ATX and PCIE SIG.

5. Seems more likely & yes for sake of market integration the chances of a complementary adapter if the rumor is true are high

EDIT: aaand what I just wrote wound't work at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2020
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    my problem with the adapter theory is that you would need atleast 3 8+8 cables to provide the 600w the connector is intended to provide, and nvidia themselves won't support the use of the daisy chained connector on high current graphics cards.

7. Hmm could they provide an alternative cable that could connect to what we're already using? Not an adapter but change the arrangement if you follow my meaning?

EDIT: 600W... hmm so we can go... two 8pins to one 12 pin and how is that a problem? We already are using two 8 pins to provide cards that recc 600W as it is? It's not as if in reality they end up drawing that much anyway. Doesn't the 2080 TI recommend a 600W PSU for instance? Thing draws what like... under 300?

I'm not challenging just honestly asking here

@Astyanax The lightbulb just turned on for me. My goodness if that’s the reality I hope they just go three 8-pins.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    [​IMG]

"3 +12 volt lines x 2.08 amps each = 75 watts.

However, The 6 pin PCI-e power connector is actually capable of handling more than 75 watts.

3 +12 volt wires x 4.16 amps each = 150 watts maximum wattage."

on 16 AWG, the safest draw on 8+8 is 8.32a per 12v wire.

This connector wants 9.5a per pin, on 6x+12v pins

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  9. Sheesh. Toms is claiming it was submitted to PCI-SIG already. Would have imagined that PSU oems would have leaked something by now. Either way, if that's the case then it will mean compliance & hopefully DIY solutions. So... yeah that doesn't exist in current day structure. Seems like a big leap to be taking in one gen. I'm going to just halt all further speculation and wait.

credits -

10. JIMMY THE SNAKE

JIMMY THE SNAKE Guest

GPU:
    zotac rtx 280 ti
    hi jim. no if I were you I would hang fire and get a 4080ti in 2 years time and you will still not need a new power supply even for a rtx 4080ti hope thats helps you. o my name is also jim good luck

11. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    Nvidia isn't the only one looking to change power configs, look what Intel is doing

12. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    Looks like a major PITA...all those wires.
    Motherboard manufacturers will hold you over a barrel and quite literally shake the money right out of your pocket for that conversion feature.
    Oh!...and good luck getting the power supply makers to lower prices despite giving less features.
    Modern companies don't think in this manner.
    They're quite content to 'chunnel' you...as in screw you from both ends to meet in the center.
    It is good for a laugh though.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    mezball likes this.
  13. hamltnblue

hamltnblue Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Thanks
    I would have expected any new power supplies to be on the shelves by now if the articles were true.
    Looks like we don't have much waiting to find out.