Power Source !!!!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kamijaza, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Kamijaza

Kamijaza Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts 640
    Hi, I dont know if a Power Supply is hardware but my mge vigor 400 watt power supply already failed on me after 2 months of usage.
    Im ready to throw down some cash on a good power supply and wanted an experts opinion on what a VERY RELIABLE, long lasting, heady duty, power supply is.
    I was looking at the Ultra ULT31562 X-Connect 500W ATX Power Supply w/2 80mm Fans for $80.00. Is this good? Is it better than an Antec psu? please help. I need a PSU that will keep up and last forever with my 2 hardrives, the video card, ect. and all my overclocking.

Thank you.

and and in the near future I will also be using the PSU into the migration of a whole new setup. Ya know, the asus a8n, athlon 64, ect.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2005
  2. reflex

reflex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 725/1800/2000
    www.newegg.com - look around for a 550W, becuase if you want it to last you "forever" and dont want to pay 300bucks then 550W is the way to go. BTW, antec is better :)

3. wattage doesn't matter as much as the amps on the rails. you'll be fine with anything at least 400w. basically you can tell the quality of a psu by it's price. around $60.00-80.00 you've got a winner.

4. Ehecu

Ehecu Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5750
    I don't much care for Ultra... Go for an Antec, Enermax, PC P&C, FSP Group, or OCZ supply. The minimum you should look for is 400w, and I'd go ahead and set a max of 500w, because all of the above are very reliable manufacturers and have very powerful, stable rails.

If you like the modular cables of the Ultra X-Connect units, you may want to take a look at the OCZ Modstream 450w or the Antec NeoPower 480w.

5. Kamijaza

Kamijaza Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts 640
    wow, thanks Ehecu :)

6. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
  7. Kaitoe

Kaitoe Guest

GPU:
    N/A
  8. Trance

Trance Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY Geforce 7900GS
    My 350watt aOpen PSU has 39 amps on the 12v rail, pretty decent for a 40 dollar psu eh?

9. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    A whole 39A for all of the blink of an eye..

Obviously rated for peak rather than continuous. Your unit can maintain that for no more than a few seconds, and even then it's insanely high. Maybe temp has something to do with it, not sure.

10. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    The price puts them out of reach to most.. except you and me it seems.

11. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 9300M GS
    AFAIK, OCZ powerstreams also have a 5 year warranty... (or was it 3? :S) :p

12. Kamijaza

Kamijaza Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts 640
  13. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    The front panel on the TrueControl gives you the ability to fine tune your rails. This isn't really a selling point though given the limited degree of adjustment on that unit. The ability to adjust rails is useful if for example your vdimm is sourced from your 3.3v rail and you want to run over 3.1v. You increase the resistance and the vdimm increases accordingly.

The NeoPower is okayish. Fine for a normal user yes. It lacks the -5v rail which is needed for the OCZ DDR booster in particular. I think it's also needed for one or two mobos but I can't remember.

14. Kamijaza

Kamijaza Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts 640
    Wow, thanks.

Well I want to make sure I get a very good PSU now, that in the future will perform well, in a setup like this:

asusA8N sli delux, 2 videocards sli, my current memory, skt 939 something, 2 harddrives, 2 rom drives, ect, many case fans, overclocking ect.

whats a good psu you recommend?

thx

15. Ehecu

Ehecu Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5750
    If you're going SLi you'll need a specially designed PSU with two PCI-E connectors. Xoxide has a fairly large (comparatively speaking o' course) selection of 'em - http://xoxide.com/sli.html

16. Dont_shootme182

Dont_shootme182 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 295
    I have a Enermax 600W PSU with 2x PCIe connectors and it runs great on my sys with 4 HDs, 2 DVD drives, and about 7 fans... I would look for that because SLi requires alot of power.

17. Kamijaza

Kamijaza Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts 640
    ok ok thanks :)