Power outage did something to my pc.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by IceVip, Aug 7, 2014.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Absolutely if someone ask for evidence to back up a claim it is customary to provide your own proof as well.

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    What the fudge? Who is we exactly? Do you have multiple personality disorder? And I wasn't talking about immediate damage, nor spot heating. A processor run at 212F will fail much faster than one run at 100F. This is just common sense. Excessive heat damages substrates and increases the rate of electron migration.

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Nah mate, he's clearly correct. We're all running a bunch of fans and/or water loops for no reason.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I dunnno about you guys but I like the sound of fans spinning.... I find it calming. The more spinning fans, the better. I visit my local airport regularly just to listen to the helicopters spin up.... The rotors are just like giant fans.... Just sayin....

5. westom

westom Active Member

GPU:
    nvidia /unknown / unknown
    Let's put numbers to that theory. Ideal power for any computer is when AC voltage drops so low that incandescent bulbs dim to 40% intensity. If insufficient power existed, light bulbs would be dimmer.

Meanwhile, if power drops that low, computers (like all electronics) simply power off. A system exists in all computers to do just that.

If 'dirty' power was problematic, then 'dirtiest' power from a UPS in battery backup mode would also create a crash. If 'dirtiest' power from a UPS (ie 200 volt square waves with a spike up to 270 volts) causes computer problems, then that computer probably has a defective power supply.

Above numbers should put many computer assemblers into another tizzy.

OP does have symptoms of an intermittent hardware issue. To say more requires facts using hardware diagnostics such as selective heating, diagnostic software, or numbers from a digital meter. Of course observation over many months may also report something useful.

Also useful might be information in the system 'event' logs. One would think computer assemblers would have suggested same. I waited. They posted nasty denials rather than something so helpful.

Provided are numbers that suggest neither insufficient power nor 'dirty' power would explain those symptoms. Of course, I have a variac to test for insufficient power. Since such testing is standard for new electronics designs. I do not know how the OP might test for same.

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Mind letting me know what you smoke? Or do you just snort it?

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Gotta be acid. Back in the day I talked total nonsense when on it.

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The good old white powder and green never did this to me. You're right, gotta be acid or shrooms.

9. westom

westom Active Member

GPU:
    That is a lame insult. I know you can do better than that.

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You're right, you know I can do better than that. You're pushing for it because that's what you do, you're a troll. We've all known this for a very long time. The problem is... you're not worth more! So be happy with what you get. We all know what you are mate, there's no hiding it.

11. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Hmm.. Now that someone mentioned the heat diagnostic tools, i've one that
    is usually on but i don't look at it because everything is always fine in there
    I can't really tell if its normal or somewhat but i on the CPU temp, i got 61C
    all the time, it does not move(that's not the core temp) and i remember i had
    it at around 45-50C before.. I guess its prolly because of high room temp.

12. westom

westom Active Member

GPU:
    So you are not here to assist the OP. You are here to satisfy an ego. Well that explains so much wild speculation without technical grasp and numbers.

So how dim can incandescent bulbs dim before a computer must power off? Tizzy will follow. Try to be a little more creative this time.

13. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The OP has been assisted, you came into the mix with a lot of random information that was not pertinent to him. Not only that but you dismissed exact information relating to his issue, and then tried to passive-aggressively assault anyone pointing it out.

As for the rest of your post, snort or smoke? Or do you inject?

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    How are you helping the op talking about light bulbs?

15. westom

westom Active Member

GPU:
    That is only core temperature of transistors inside a CPU. Completely different from temperatures of other transistors throughout the entire system.

First, that ten degree core temperature increase implies your room is maybe 20 degrees F warmer (assuming computer is doing similar work). So are all other ICs (transistors) also in a room that much warmer? Did a failure occur during this warmer temperature?

Second, CPU temperature really is irrelevant to the intermittent. Since a crash due to an intermittent transsistor inside the CPU would mean a complete computer crash. You had (what appears to be) a peripheral defect - involving other transistors whose air temperature is still unknown.

61 degrees C inside a CPU is not same as air temperature outside all ICs. Temperature outside an IC at maybe 40 degrees C may cause intermittent and defective transistors in that other IC to temporarily become a hard failure. Then the defect is easiest to locate.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014

16. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You're drunk, go home.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Eh, I haven't even started drinking yet!!! lol

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Wall of text. Saying nothing. Wow.

Edit: yo dude, you say component damage due to power loss is a myth. Do you have any proof of this?

19. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    And full of shxx too.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    blah blah blah is all I see when you guys quote him.