1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post Your Hi-Fi Equipment Here (Something a little different!)

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Deckard79, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Coolchris

Coolchris Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 512mb GForce 8800GT
    Similar setup apart from my reciever is the Onkyo 605..luverly amp.
    The Tannoys need a little tweaking here and there, but once set up, they certainly can give you a bit of oomph!

2. Brian the King

Brian the King Maha Guru

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon HD 5470
    New pics for the stereo, and an upgrade on the cans! :grin:

Stereo
    Headphone

3. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    How do you like those RS2's?? I've tried RS1 - Dude... Those cans rock :banana:

4. Brian the King

Brian the King Maha Guru

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon HD 5470
    Absolutely love them! :roll:

5. Deckard79

Deckard79 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT passive
    Wow, Grado RS2.... that's some serious stuff!

6. Deckard79

Deckard79 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT passive
    My Stuff!

Not quite on a par with Brian the King's rig, but I still love the sound... that's also hooked up to my X-Fi Prelude. The PS3 is used to pick up my PC's media library as well, so can watch any video files through the TV. Those Acoustic Energy speakers replaced the Mordaunt short 902i Avants... big improvement!

The amp is a Cambridge Audio Azur 540A, and those speaker stands are SoundStyle. My Mordaunt sub is nicely hidden away beneath a coffee table :)

Wish I had some Grado RS2s, but my SR80s will make do... :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  7. Brian the King

Brian the King Maha Guru

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon HD 5470
    ahah thank you man, I appreciate the complements. That is a tight little setup you have yourself, and nice selection with Mordaunt Short. I've always liked that brand.

8. Deckard79

Deckard79 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT passive
    Of equal importance to me, with the PC in very close proximity, is keeping ambient sound to an absolute minimum. I'm lucky that my flat is on a quiet cul de sac, so anything I do hear comes from electrical equipment in the room...

My PC consists of a Silverstone TJ05 tower case (insides filled with acoustic dampening foam), two Seagate Barracuda SATA drives both in acoustic enclosures, an Antec Phantom PSU (fanless running), an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 CPU cooler (fan switched off, cooling a brand new Wolfdale 8200 Intel Core Duo chip), an ATi Radeon 3850 Pro cooled by a passive AC heatsink.

The only fan in operation is a SilenX 12cm rated at 9db(a) full speed. This has been reduced to 600RPM by a Zalman fan speed controller.

Result - complete silence, and a better environment for your hifi and music to strut its stuff!

9. Brian the King

Brian the King Maha Guru

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon HD 5470
    That is awesome you have things going that quietly. I'll use my headphones on the computer occasionally for games, but unfortunately my pc is fairly loud. Most of the listening to music gets done in my room.

I am lucky enough to live in a cul de sac as well, it's nice not having your listening ruined by traffic when the windows are open for nice weather :)

10. Deckard79

Deckard79 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT passive
    It's actually really easy to build a silent pc these days - the current generation of cpus consume very low amounts of power (especially when idle) so don't need much cooling... still, keeping the pc in a different room is equally effective!

Indeed, nothing beats being able to throw open the windows and enjoy some Afternoon in Stereo under a sunbeam :cool:

11. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Those AE speakers look great! How do they compare to the MS speakers?

I absolutely love my MS stuff, but of course it's such a subjective...subject.

Been hugely impressed by my Cambridge Audio A5 -...really good amp for the money. My gainclone has got a lot to live up to...

I bet that's a great system to have.

12. Deckard79

Deckard79 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT passive
    The Acoustic Energy AESprit 300 are very different animals to the Short 902i... they have a great deal more power and have improved frequency handling. The Short 902s have a very spritely mid-range but lack a little in the bass department, so I initially had the sub taking on far more of the lower frequencies. With the AE speakers, you can leave all except the very lowest stuff to the sub and give them the rest... immediate improvements in bass, definitely higher detail overall, though it does take a time to get used to the fact that there's less mid-range emphasis than with the Shorts...

Highly recommend them!

13. Deckard79

Deckard79 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT passive
    The dude who just won my Short 902i speakers on ebay... his name is.... wait for it.... Nicholas Drake!

14. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  15. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX260 core 216 soon
    I've got an Auzentech X-Plostion with LM4562 OPAMPS

Creative Gigaworks 500 Surround.

Shure E2c's, wanna get some Super.fi 5 pros.... Wish there would be a sale....

Does anyone else prefer the feel of IEMs as to cans? Just curious, I'll never buy anything else that isn't an IEM...

16. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Wow, nice to see someone using electrostatics :D

Nice gear :)

17. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    Just about to order my Little-Dot MK III Tube Amplifier. I'll get pics as soon as it arrives next week (hopefully).

Specifications Here

18. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256 525/1400
  19. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

LOL ^ :thumbup:

5.1 config

10x 1" tweeter
    16x 5.25" woofer
    5x 8" subwoofer
    2x 10" main subwoofer

20. Deckard79

Deckard79 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT passive
    Some new equipment for a bit of audiophile drooling ;)

http://vmphoto.photobox.co.uk/album/7731664

Have to say, I utterly adore the Linn amp. The mid range has so much detail and realism, it just blows me away.

Grado SR325i phones are also lovely, although they do irritate me slightly! The headband just doesn't fit my head - If I lie down to listen to something they continually slip due to the weight.

The AE AELITE 2 Speakers are my newest addition, replacing some older Acoustic Energy speakers. Love them to bits - very elegant at low volume but enough power to blow the ceiling clean off!