1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post Your Hi-Fi Equipment Here (Something a little different!)

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Deckard79, Feb 13, 2008.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    What I want is not a crossover for a speaker box.

2. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    The only reason an active crossover could be considered less good than a passive one is because you need to have more amplifiers.

Literally everything (and I mean everything) is better using an active setup. Power handling, damping, crossover point doesn't move as stuff heats up, efficiency...

You can also tailor the amps to what they're doing. A lovely 20W class A is a great option if it's only running an efficient tweeter above 3k...

Also you don't have to buy a bunch of expensive and inevitably crap inductors ;)

It'd be one thing if you could just use resistors and caps, but inductors just suck. They're expensive, fragile, the most non-ideal, susceptible to outside noise, huge...the list goes on.

I'd strongly consider going active with your project. It could work out cheaper than a mega complex passive network anyway - and you can re-use it for another project later if you choose...

3. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Got my Schiit Lyr amp today. It's my first amp so I was curious to hear if it was better than the Essence ST's integrated amp for my HD650.

Indeed there's a big difference, the HD650 is coming alive like never before with much more energy and impact in the sound.

Currently I'm running 1x2134 and 2x2277 Burr Brown op-amps in the Essence ST, nice boomy tubey sound.

[​IMG]
    The cable on the HD650 is a Kimber cable that makes the sound sharper/punchier.

The Lyr came with a nice quality 1/8" to RCA cable, unfortunately I need RCA to RCA to connect to the ST's line-out so I'm using a cheap 1/8" to RCA adapter with the included cable.

- I wonder if SQ will be better with a high quality RCA to RCA cable?

[​IMG]

Nice orange glowing tubes :) So far I'm happy with the amp, sounds fantastic with the HD650 and it's good to know it's future proof with it's 6W in case I eventually decide to upgrade to another headphone like the HE-6.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011