1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post Your Hi-Fi Equipment Here (Something a little different!)

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Deckard79, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Deckard79

Deckard79 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT passive
    Hi folks,

We're all discussing sound cards, but there's little conversation on here regarding Hi-Fi/PC audio equipment (the other topics of this forum), so...

Feel free to discuss your pride & joy here!

I'll get the ball rolling - currently have everything hooked up to a Cambridge Audio Azur 540A with Mordaunt-Short 902i stereo speakers and a Mordaunt Short 308 Avant sub. Getting a little bored of the 902i's as they seem a little lacking in depth....

2. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    im currently busy making my research to get some good gear. atm, im making do with a philips htib set, but im not really happy with it.

3. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I am using a Philips SBC HD1505U Receiver with DSP (Dolby Headphone 1-3) with a Senn HD650 Headphones. Receiver is connected to soundcard via Coax. Audio sounds awesome.

4. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Old Radeon (not gamer)
    Denon AVR484 (rather old unit)
    Connected via 6 analog inputs to an LM4562 modded Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1.
    Speakers I forget the model but they're JBL's with an Infinity PS-10 subwoofer.
    For headphone usage I have a pair of Grado SR-80s.

All this streams HD content off a 2.0TB HTPC. :)

Remote control is with an HP iPAQ over my WiFi network so it basically acts as an RF remote. :cool:

Click below URL for image of said setup :)
    My Setup

5. Deckard79

Deckard79 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT passive
    Grado SR-80s - Ditto! Fantastic setup, and couldn't help but notice the rather retro N64 bottom right!

6. Audiophile426

Audiophile426 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 7900 GT EXTREME 565/755
    I gots a rather complicated system, here it goes. Out of my Xfi it goes to a pioneer VXS-D812 through an optical cable. The front two channels come out of the pioneer at line level and go into my old school NAD 7250 PowerEnvelope (this thing is rated at 50 watts headspace. but if u think that sounds low, ur foolish. It comparess to somethin like 200watts continuous and like 550 max. Point being it kicks the holy living sh** out of all modern surround sound recievers that cost less than like 4 grand) Out of that i have my front speakers connected. They are Altec Lansing 301 Floor standing speakers with 10in carbon fiber subs (Oh right giggedy giggedy). Ahh the back speakers are cheap yamaha bookshelfs but who needs good back speakers all the important stuff comes out of the front. I used to run an Onkyo sub when i was only using the pioneer amp cause it didnt have enough a** form my Altecs. Once i added the NAD there was no need for a sub and it sounded better. I also have all sorts of other sources going into the pioneer including XM.

7. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    My computer runs with the following sound system with soundblaster x-fi.

1. receiver is sony STR-G500 it's 7.1 with 700watts I think
    2. 6 Insignia bookself speakers the 6inch speaker version
    3. Sony 12 inch sub with 250watt amp standalone

4. Can really piss my neighbors off if I turn it up lol and my closest neighbor is about 2 acres away from me :)

8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    I have a Yamaha GX-900 mini component system it has a minidisk recorder(lol what a waste now and i still have a minidisk walkman), its quite old about 8yrs i think.
    The system is hooked up on to Bose 201 speakers... the sound is great, very rich experience with that stereo everywhere trick. They're also an older model, but after 10years of using, they still sound like they where new
    :)

9. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    My PC:
    LM4562 Auzentech X-Meridian
    Sennheiser HD600s (no external headphone amp)

Home Theatre PC:
    Bluegears b-Enspirer
    Logitech Z-5500s

10. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Old Radeon (not gamer)
    Thanks for the compliments. That N64 is there for one game...and one game only. Goldeneye 007 multiplayer :D

11. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX580 8GB
    Sony STR-DE325 Dolby pro logic receiver (got it 1999)with 5 speakers. Works well as any cheap Dolby digital bull**** =)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  12. Deckard79

Deckard79 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT passive
  13. Allegiance

Allegiance Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
    Denon AVR-2808 A/V Reciever (HDMI 1.3 :) )
    Definitive Technology SM450 (Fronts)
    B&W 601 S2 (Centre)
    Energy EPS-150 (Sub)

14. MarkyG

MarkyG Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
  15. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256 525/1400
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaaubY4MQus

For those too lazy to click..
    Just my small studio comprising of JBLs and a DIY sub.
    The driver is an RL-P18 from soundsplinter in a 25 cu ft box tuned to 11hz. Strong output to 5hz.
    Reciever is a JVC RXDP-20.
    JBL E50s for fronts, EC35 center, P52OWS sides, JBL HLS-820s for rears.
    Vestax PDX-2000 MKII pro turntable next to a Denon DN-X500 and a Denon DN-S5000 off to the right.
    The Speakers on the left at the beginning are 2-ways, each housing 2x 21" (18Sound 21LW1400s) and a 4" horn tweeter. I use them along with my 18". One tower is down 3db at 18hz in room.

Overall, a fairly good setup. I will hopefully be upgrading to 4x 18"s for more output below 10hz after I've taken care of other things.

16. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Nothing special really, slowly moving over to DIY stuff though :)

Cambridge Audio A5 (mid-60W LM3886T Gainclone awaiting completion)
    Mordaunt Short 902 Signatures (the deep cabinet ones...they don't make them any more or I'd buy a second pair)
    Going to buy some Grado SR80s or Alessandro MS1s to go with the JLH Class A headphone amp that's half finished.

My future plans include a more powerful amp, and some larger DIY speakers...maybe a nice pair of MTMs or nice standmount speakers, running of a 4 channel amp with a Class A tweeter amp and something large and MOSFET driven for midrange duties, running through an electronic crossover.

Maybe a hornloaded sub too...hmm ;)

Unfortunately it's all been shipped off to my parents house as I simply don't have the space for it all here. Instead I'm using Creative T20s...not really in the same league but they do the job. V happy with them - they may find their way into my future setup as rear surrounds :)

17. Deckard79

Deckard79 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT passive
    Yeah, I've heard a lot of people comment on the T20s by Creative... surprisingly strong for £50 2.0s. Might pick some up myself as some little desk-sitters next to the monitor...

Got a cute little pair of Eltax Wave speakers sitting around unused, and have considered a few times grabbing a headphone amp, hooking that to the XFi Prelude and to my Waves, and using the Waves as PC speakers. No idea if it would work well though...

18. Joshua

Joshua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX260 Core 216
    Currently usin' an HK AVR745, with 4x Polk RTi12's (Fronts and rears), 1 Polk CSi5 (Center), 1 Polk PSW404 sub for the tight base, and 1 Velodyne DD-12 for those deep moments.

I actually had to build this sucker a piece at a time; took about 4 or 5 months, even with my discounts (I was working for Fry's electronics during the time when I bought the RTi's). Let me just say that the markup on speakers is ridiculous. My discount entitled me to get the RTi's for 10% above cost, and I ended up payin' about 40-45% of retail for them. Tempts me to pick up a cashier job there for the discount. lol

As far as headphones, I use a set of Sony MDR-NC20's for my computer desk (Speakers there are Creative i-Trigue L3800's). For my iPod, it's my Shure e3c's all the way; however I do have a cheap $30 pair of Creative ear buds that are probably the best cheap earbuds I've ever owned. I bust those out at the gym due to the movement. I've found the shielding on the e3c's to not be the best during a lot of movement. I get alotta ticks in the line when it's hit. Not like static, but like morse code (like I can actually hear the hit).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  19. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    It's insane. There are numerous companies that use components which are also supplied to the DIY market.

In a $2000 speaker, you can buy the drivers for $200 if you want. Ridiculous.

20. Deckard79

Deckard79 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9600GT passive
    But then of course, you also need the numerous skills required to turn that all into a good-sounding set of speakers....