Post your AV set up?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by hallryu, May 3, 2009.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970 STRIX
    Well it's good to know about the LG sets, as while i'm holding off for OLED to drop i know my brother is on the lookout for a decent value new TV.

Not sure the part about no true UHD discs so far, since i was looking at two (X:Men Apocalypse and Batman v Superman) on my lunchbreak.

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Well BvS was filmed with cameras that max out at 3.2k resolution so again not a real 4K movie and X-men one of the cameras used was in fact capable of 6k and the movie was mastered in 4K interestingly the high speed scenes were film wit was 4K as well. So I stand corrected I did not realize that this movie was a true UHD.

In the case of BvS even if it was mastered in 4K if the source footage is sub 4K the quality can still suffer though it will look better that FHD.

3. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970 STRIX
    Some scenes in BvS were filmed with a 3.2k camera, the majority of it wasn't and was much higher than 4k, likely going as high as "12k"
    Obviously not on the UHD master though.

There are loads of them on that realorfake4k site, not as many as there should be mind, but it's not really a concern to me as it's entirely likely that some upscaled 3k movies look better than native 4k due to how they were filmed.

Kinda similar to the fact a well recorded piece of music on mp3 would sound better than a poor recorded 192/24bit flac file.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This is very true. Honestly BvS was a hate it or love it kind of movie cinematography wise. I personally loved it.

Was really hoping The Martian was true 4K was going to buy a UHD player just for that but alas it was not.

* too your edit.

35mm and 70mm are both technically beyond 4k resolution however what they use to transfer film to digital is now the weak link. Didn't realize they used such a diverse range of cameras in the filming of that movie hell everything from a GoPro hero 4 to a 35mm film camera that was released in 1995.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

5. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970 STRIX
    Yeah, Synder's movies are always something people love or hate when it comes to cinematography.
    I saw that about The Martian, alot of movies were filmed around 2k or so when they first moved to digital, not ideal now though.

That's possible, but without knowing we just have to trust our eyes instead.
    Assuming you saw the same imdb list as i did when it came to BvS, think that's the most i've yet to see :wanker:

When it comes to a new TV for me, moving to OLED and HDR is so much more important than resolution when it comes to image quality, especially with special effects heavy movies.