Post if you had DirectX Probz with 41.xx+ Dets

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by SoulKlekta, Mar 8, 2003.

1. SoulKlekta

SoulKlekta Active Member

GPU:
    GF6600+ PCI-X 256MbDDR
    It seems that a lot of people are having DirectX problems with Detonators releases 41.xx to 43.00.

I'm just curious as to what range of problems and more specificly,what problems affect what Detonator release.

Please post with

1.A brief description of the problem you had/have.

2.What Detonator release and Graphics card the problem occured with.

3.If you fixed it,how.

2. TOKbt6

TOKbt6 Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 580 GTX
    I had dx9 and det 42.86 on a Gainward Ti 4600 and everything ran ok , I updated my drivers to det 43.00 and now most of my games won't work . I ran dxdiag and got the following message

DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 7 test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 5 (GetDeviceCaps): HRESULT = 0x8876086a (3D not available) Direct3D 9 test results: All tests were successful.

Any ideas ?

3. SoulKlekta

SoulKlekta Active Member

GPU:
    GF6600+ PCI-X 256MbDDR
    That sounds exactly the same fault I was recieving.

It resulted in my GF4 claiming to not support D3D,also when I ran DXDIAG,on the 'Display' tab,there was no way I could get the D3D tests to work.Again,insisting it didn't support D3D.

I eventually sussed the situation by setting all my CoolBits.reg changes to a default setting and went through them 1 by 1 testing DXDIAG everyfew changes,as soon as the prob was apparent again I changed the setting I had just made before the test and all was well.

This actually happened with Det v.30.82/41.09/and 42.30, and a GF4 Ti4200/DirectX 9.
    I'm still not 100% but,I think it may be something to do with one of the AGP settings.

4. darkhunter

darkhunter Guest

I got the nVidia 41.09 drivers, and have some problems with DirectX AGP Texture Acceleration but this is coz my mobo, I have to update the BIOS :( .

BTW Are there newer drivers that 41.09 for Windows XP?

5. foffo spearjig

foffo spearjig Member

GPU:
    Inno3D 7950GT
    I'be been having probs with D3D games for months now, regardless of driver version.
    My card is an MSI GF Ti 4600, most D3Dgames CTD randomly, some give me BSODs, however I have got a partial fix that has increased stability. Go to:

http://pcbuyersguide.com/hardware/motherboards/VIA-Problems.html

Oops, not there, here:

http://www.reactorcritical.com/download.shtml#2300

Scroll to the 'common' heading and download the d3d8.dll file.
    Then overwrite the existing dll in the system32 folder.
    ( obviously keep a copy of the original, I also searched for other instances of the file and overwrote those too )

This hasn't completely solved the CTDs but it happens much less frequently and I have been able to play Unreal2 and my old copy of Black and White (!) for the first time on my new PC! I'm using the 30.82s as these seem to be the most stable and I save games very often

HTH

foffo

PS Have just run dxdiag and it throws up a warning saying that d3d8.dll is an old file and I should re-install DirectX, but all DirectX tests are fine! Think I'll stick with it for a while.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2003
  6. SoulKlekta

SoulKlekta Active Member

GPU:
    GF6600+ PCI-X 256MbDDR
    Yes foffo,I recall having good results with the Det v.30.82_comp,I installed this version to overcome the refresh-rate problem a lot of us were having.This release cured the problem without any drawbacks allowing me to run my GL & D3D apps without the refresh-rate being stuck at 60Hz in all reolutions.

What date has your d3d8.dll file?,and what version of DirectX are you using?

I now use v.42.30 which,as I stated above I did encounter a problem claiming that my h/ware couldn't support D3D!?!?!.

My cure was to set all the variables back to default and go through em 1 by 1 till I found the culprit which is/was related to the AGP Fast-Write tickbox and/or the AGP Texture Memory setting.If I set it to anything above 63Mb the problem represents itself.

Btw,I checked the d3d8.dll you mentioned and I have one in C:\WINDOWS\system32 and one in C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache both dated 29/08/2002.

My brief sys specs are AMD T-Bird 1400@1552
    AsusA7A266DDR mobo
    512Mb PC2100
    GF4 Ti4200 128MbDDR x8AGP-v3.0
    Detonator Version: 42.30
    DirectX: v8.1b (I had DirectX 9.0 installed but haven't bothered to reinstall it after I got the D3D situation sorted out)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2003
  7. foffo spearjig

foffo spearjig Member

GPU:
    Inno3D 7950GT
    Hi SoulKlekta,

I have Dx9 installed, don't know how or whether to uninstall it as nothing I have uses it anyway! I assume programs that use Dx8 still use the d3d8 files anyway?

Original d3d8.dll was version number 5.3.0.900 not sure of the date, sorry.
    The new one is Vers. 5.1.2600.44 and is actually available from:

http://www.reactorcritical.com/download.shtml#2300

(NOT the link to a VIA mobo' whinge page that I posted earlier! 'tho if like me you have one of these wretched things it makes depressing reading)

looking at the vers. numbers it appears that the 'new' one that works better is actually older!

That refresh rate thing has never been an issue for me, my monitor only goes up to 60Hz as it is! If I'd have known that I would've bought a 21" CRT instead. Anyway these variables you messed around with, forgive my ignorance but where exactly are they?

cheers,

foffo

8. SoulKlekta

SoulKlekta Active Member

GPU:
    GF6600+ PCI-X 256MbDDR
    The most recent Detonator driver at http://www.nvidia.com/ is the 41.09 release darkhunter but if you go have a looksee at http://download.guru3d.com/ apart from various utilities and benchmark suites there is one of the largest and most upto date compilations of Detonators we could ever need.
    I know the archives have v12.41 and I may be wrong & stand to be corrected but I'm sure there are older versions too.

foffo spearjig,I just checked my version of D3D8.DLL and it's ver.5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920),it certainly appears to be an older version than 5.1.2600.44.
    Was ver.5.3.0.900 installed with DirectX 9??,My pc has been formatted and a clean install of XP Pro+SP1 done since I had DirectX 9 installed,as you say,there isn't much to support it at the moment anyhow,my gfx card doesn't support it either,only 8.1.I have 8.1b installed.

The D3D & OpenGL variables on 'Display Properties\Settings\Advanced' accessed by a right-click on the desktop.
    I have the newer CoolBits.reg patch for Dets v4x.xx+,it enables an AGP tab with various adjustments for Enable/Disable Fast-Write/SideBand Addressing also a Clock Frequency Tab containing a couple of 'sliders' to increase/decrease your gfx card core & memory speeds.Just the ticket for O/C'ing your card.

TOKbt6 your problem sounds pretty damn close to the one I had m8!,tell me does your card refuse to support D3D at all and only operate in OpenGL?,in DXDIAG I could run the DirectDraw tests fine but just didn't want to know about Test D3D.

This is the error it threw at me :
    Direct3D test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x887602eb (error code)

....very similiar to your own error message isn't it huh?