Possibly broke my HDD, need final advice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 0rpheus, Jul 16, 2014.

1. 0rpheus

0rpheus Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte nV 9800GT 512MB
    Hi

Yesterday I had a little incident with my HDD but it got solved with the help of the awesome people of this forum. But the fact that I couldn't get my old HDD to work kept bugging me.

So today I set out to connect both my current and the old HDD at the same time and maybe recover some files from the old HDD. I have the old regular ATA type setup so I disconnected the optical drive that was the "master" and connected the HDDs so that my current one was "master" and the old one was "slave".

But my PC didn't recognize the "slave" HDD and I fiddled around with them quite a lot, to no avail. Then I noticed that the old HDD's jumper wasn't set to "cable select" so I set it to the correct position. But while doing this I bumped into my current HDD that was lying on the side of my case (I had the case itself lying on its side so it was easier to swap the HDDs) and the HDD tilted a bit and took a small fall from one part of the case to a lower part, the fall was only a few millimeters but the clank was quite audible. After that my PC didn't recognize my current HDD, even after setting it back up like it was before (optical drive as "master" and HDD as "slave"). I made a CMOS reset, even twice but it didn't help.

I'm pretty sure I broke my HDD with that stupid bump but I thought I'd ask here before completely giving up. Is there still something I might be able to do?

EDIT: My PC recognizes the old HDD when set to the "master" position

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  2. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Have you tried HDD as master and optical as slave? What brand is the HDD? HDD's are very random , i had an old 40gb maxtor that suffered alot of bumps and was still workig well but had others that died from a small bump just like you described.

From the sound of it its broken. But before coming to that conclusion juggle a bit with the jumper, even try plugging the HDD alone,without the optical drive, with master jumper and without jumper. See if it works then.

3. 0rpheus

0rpheus Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte nV 9800GT 512MB
    I've tried every possible combination I can think of but the HDD doesn't get detected in BIOS. The HDD is a 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.

Looks like that's it then I guess, gotta find a new HDD. Well, you can't call a regular ATA HDD "new" anymore I guess :D

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  4. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    You could install windows on your old hdd if you havent already and then try using some software to try and salvage your main hdd, although if its not detected in bios i don't think it will get detected by the software. Can't think of any solution right now. Wait for more responses i guess:)

5. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I had mine somehow lose its partition table last month. Someone suggested booting linux from a CD. I haven't tried yet because there's nothing really all that vital. Maybe if you have good luck I'll try.

You should also try sticking the windows cd in there and see if it'll repair it if you haven't already.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    BIOS doesn`t care about partitions when it is trying to recognize drive.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Take the HDD to your local computer service.

The HDD of my work computer broke down and the service people were able to salvage 99 % of the information on it even if the PC wouldn't even recognize the drive anymore.

They have special software for doing that, they can "mirror" the contents of your HDD to another drive or even USB flashdisk.

Sure, you still need to get a new drive but at least you wouldn't lose all data on the broken drive.

PS: the new hard drive for my work PC with the mirrored content was usable out-of-the-box. Windows booted normally again as if nothing had ever happened.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  8. 0rpheus

0rpheus Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte nV 9800GT 512MB
    Thanks for all the replies. It's obvious now that I need to get a new HDD but luckily I found that my mobo also has several SATA ports, so finding a new HDD won't be difficult at all. Btw AsiJu thanks for the tip, I'll see what they can do in the service shop.

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    ^ np, hope you get it sorted ;)