1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible virus on windows 10 need some help PLEASE.

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by nz3777, Nov 6, 2017.

1. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Howdy fellow gurus either my kid or wife got some kind of nasty virus on our main machine and I cannot pin-point what the possible problem is, I am not too familar with windows 10 options ect, this is whats going on exactly.....

When you 1st log-on none of the desktop icons come-up anymore, I have to manualy alt+cntrl+delete and deactivate about 3-4 programs running in task-manager in order for them to come-up.

1)Com surrogate- Wtf is this exactly?
    2)CTF loader?
    3) I have 82 windows processes going on why?

When I click on system manager app a window opens then closes in like 2 seconds! I cannot access any of my settings what the hell is this? Only way to do it is through task manager.Oh and it also says I am running windows 32 bit what the hell is this? I have 64-bit and have no clue how to switch over lol.Any help is greatly appricated. Nick

2. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG STRIX 1070
    Download and install Malwarebytes, and go into safe mode and try to do a full system scan. CTF Loader, don't worry about it, everybody has this loading in Windows.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/
    Download "For Home"

3. insp1re

insp1re Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 4GB
  4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Do not touch COM surrogate and CTF loader, these are system processes.

You can use Autoruns utility
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

Create "temp" folder in C: drive. Download archive there and extract. There is console version of utility - autorunsc.exe. Run elevated command prompt, and execute:
    Code:
    cd c:\temp
    autorunsc.exe -a lts -m -u -vrs -vt > scan_results.txt

First command is just navigation to the folder with exe-file. Second command will scan autostart entries (progs, scheduled tasks and services) except for Microsoft ones, and will check them against VirusTotal database, and will save the result in text file. You can paste the content of this text file here.

386SX and nz3777 like this.
  6. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I'd rather backup essential files and do clean install. Make sure virus doesn't get into back up, use google drive, etc...

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    You should also check for consistency of system files:
    1. Scan the image to check for corruption. This operation will take several minutes. For example, at a command prompt, type the following command:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

2. Check the image to see whether any corruption has been detected. For example, at a command prompt, type:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    When you use the /CheckHealth argument, the DISM tool will report whether the image is healthy, repairable, or non-repairable. If the image is non-repairable, you should discard the image and start again. If the image is repairable, you can use the /RestoreHealth argument to repair the image.

1. Use the /RestoreHealth argument to repair the image:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth