Possible to change PCI-E speed via BIOS or software?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Sneakers, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Right I just gotten an Asus Sabtertooth mobo, and everything about the board is to my liking except one dealbreaking thing. It is an isane OCer and has good temps :)

The problem for me is that the two top "main" PCI-E buses are just too close together for my graphicscard ( two 465 GTXs from gainward with a custom cooling design ).

I mean I can't run these babys in SLI on this mobo ever due to the small space between top and bottom card, talking 1 milimeter here = no go. Temps on bottom card idling 36, top card idling 66 I mean lol thats a no go anywhere.

The specs for the mobo are found here, and I'm woundering if the bottom black PCI-E is electrically an x16 slot ( don't care if its 1.1 or 2.0 don't think one of these cards comes close to saturating it ). I know it says in the desc the pci-e runs at x16/x16/x4, but is this even with only one card in, or is it only when the top two slots are taken?

I'm not sure how these boards function without the dedicated northbridge like on the 775 platform. On my 780i mobo for example I can run SLI in any of the 3 pci-e slots and if only 2 cards are in the system then I will get x16 bus rates from any slot. If there are 3 cards in one slot will drop to x8 and two will remain x16.

What do you think is this something that this Sabtertooth mobo might be able to do or is it just hardware limited to x16/x16/x4 and can never do x16/x4/x16?

Why the board designers make multigpu mobos with pci-e's that tight together is a mystery to me I mean sure you can run it if you want temps at 90 all the time and fan on 100% all the time...

Should be obvious by now to have a plan layout where if you have 3x pci-e on the board then the "main" ones should be 1 and 3 since that gives more breathing space for the gpus.

What do you guys think, could this mobo be tinkered with to somehow allow for a pci-e config of x16/x4/x16 instead of x16/x16/x4 ? ( with pci-e slots 1 2 3 ).

Cheers

2. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Right, I had to change things around can't run two graphics cards like this :)

I googled around for info regarding that 3rd PCI_E bus and by all info it says it is a x16 1.1 bus but that runs at 4x, some people claim it to run at 16x but with 1.1 compatibility.

I changed spots of the gpus and gpu-z reports somewhat conflicting info. On one hand it says the gpus support x16 1.1 ( almost as if that was available else I would expect it to read as the 1st gpu and support x16 2.0 ) on the other hand it says the card is currently running at x4 1.1 wich is gonna saturate this 465 alot.

I mean asus are idiots if they hardware locked that BUS to x4, makes no sense at all. I can understand that they don't give full x16 3 way SLI capabilties on this board but there should be an option to run the obviously capable PCI-E x16 slot as 1.1 @ x16 and not only x4 when you have only two gpus in the system.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  3. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    You'r right, I droped ASUS Formula III for Gigabyte 790FXT UD5 for the same reason. I cannot understand how stupid are some engineers to design such a wonderful mobo and not to have at least 2 free slots between 2 PCI-E. All high end card are dual slot these days and who buy such a board and a high end GPU has great chances to want a SLi or CrossfireX system.:3eyes:

I would not buy that board, you may have huge issues in Sli, microstuttering, not performing as it should be...

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    With 2 PCI-Express 2.x slots and 1 PCI-Express 1.x slot, it would be hardwired as an x4 slot. In order for the 3rd PCI-Express slot to share bandwidth with the other 2 slots, they would all 3 have to be PCI Express 2.x slots as the bandwidth limitations are different between the 1.x and 2.x specs.

Also, using a 1,3,5 layout for PCI Express slots would be identical to the current layout used on that board of 2,4,6. In either case, you only have 1 slot separating them.

Current layout

PCIe 1.x x1 (slot1)
    PCIe 2.0xx16 (slot2)
    PCI (slot3)
    PCIe 2.x x16 (slot4)
    PCIe 1.x x1 (slot5)
    PCIe 1.x x4 (slot6)

Your idea (roughly)

PCIe 2.0xx16 (slot1)
    PCI (slot2)
    PCIe 2.x x16 (slot3)
    PCIe 1.x x1 (slot4)
    PCIe 1.x x4 (slot5)
    PCIe 1.x x1 (slot6)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

5. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce

Not sure what you mean here.

My point was that it would been nice if they had made it so you could run the board as:

pci-e 2.0 x16 @ x16
    pci-e 2.0 x16 @ x16
    pci-e 1.1 x16 @ x4

or

pci-e 2.0 x16 @ x16
    pci-e 2.0 x16 @ x4
    pci-e 1.1 x16 @ x16

But as you say all 3 slots have to be of 2.0 standard to share bandwidth wich is making this board useless as it is.

There must be a way to make this sodding pci-e 16x @ x4 to run as a true x16s lot there just has to be I mean why on earth did they not put in a PCI-E 2.0 x4 slot instead then so that they could share the bandwidth?

Board OCs great, looks great, run extremly cool and then they f it all up by doing this to it :wanker:

6. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Damn this board to be honest, I'm at 4.6 ghz on the Xeon now at only 1.368 volts lol this board OCs like a god and yet I have to get rid of it, sigh. :wanker:

It has no vdroop at all its insane how good it is to OC on once maximum power porfiles and LLC is turned on, its scary guys. Why did ASUS ruin this board with this retarded x4 slot. :bang:

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    What's a GTX830? If your making up a new card by adding two 465s together you would have GTX930.

8. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    thats the core and memory speed mater :)

Lol gtx 830 haha :banana:

Grr, damn this board..really looking bad can't find anything about any mods, software or hardware to change this r-tard pci-e x16 @ x4. Bet someone at the asus design team are going "I told you guys we shouldn't have put them so close together" :)

Man I don't wanna return this board now after running ibt stable at 4.6 :bang:

/edit

It has amazing voltage regulation this board, I mean no vdroop at all its rock solid lol. My 775 board drooped like 35 mV if not more.