Possible Radeon RX Vega 3DMark Time Spy Benchmark Result

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 30, 2017.

1. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    You're making a positive judgement about a card that hasn't been reviewed yet, and then you imply I'm the one who's being simplistic in my thinking... :wanker:

Go back and look at the post I was quoting, and then consider my comment in context. AMD over the last few generations, has only been able to offer similar performance for a little less money. They have not managed to offer a card with significantly greater performance-per-dollar when compared against products of the same class from Nvidia. A big part of that seems to be that they're always playing catch-up to the standard that Nvidia has already set, and Nvidia always seems ready to counter within weeks.

Based on that, I think it would be unreasonable for anyone to expect AMD is going to have a product that is capable of significantly out-performing Nvidia's. It seems much more likely they will have cards that offer similar levels of performance at lower prices, and Nvidia will respond by dropping price on their existing line.

We're talking about GPUs. Their market value is measured largely in benchmarks. Any review of a GPU is ultimately there to offer context and additional information, but the numbers tell most of the story. Heat, power draw, price, relative performance, overclockability, and noise - those are the standards by which we judge gaming GPUs. And relative performance is the most important of those factors. Frame rates largely determine how much the manufacturer can charge for their card.

How many games do you have that will run on a modern generation AMD card, but not on a modern generation Nvidia card?

I don't know a single person who looks only at frame rate charts, nor did I suggest anyone should. But frame rate charts are certainly one of the most important factors when considering buying a card. Would you make a purchasing decision without looking at frame rate benchmarks?

I read just fine, and the reviews tell the same story consistently for the last few years - AMD at their best manages to offer cards that are close to the performance of Nvidia's, often for a little bit cheaper price. Nvidia then responds by adjusting price, or releasing an additional product that nullifies any price-to-performance advantage AMD might have had. We saw this with the 290x, we saw it with the Fury and Fury X, and again with the RX 480.

2. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Don't forget that Vega is a new design from the ground up pretty much.
    Going by commentary in a video OnnA linked in another thread there is potential for some decent hope of some interesting clock speeds:

https://youtu.be/m5EFbIhslKU?t=707

The guy there summarizes that perhaps consumer Vega will have a base clock of 1,600MHz and a higher boost clock possibly heading up towards 1,800MHz.

I'd be pretty happy if they achieve that :)

3. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I'm fairly sceptical about that. I have seen it on a few sites, but without a link to the score. Also if this was indeed true, one would think AMD would be shouting this from the rooftops as they have a true Titan XP competitor. Especially with it being this close to launch.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    That's more like it.

This is it folks:nerd:

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

Jesus.. has there ever been a single fake news not swallowed by you bro :p

6. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT Black Ed
    lol totally faked

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    FuryX had similar faked leak and it was inline as well by final release, maybe 100-300points +/-.

PS like my fake news how I "predicted" ADM Ryzen prices, 1800x 500-550€ and you lol'd saying I would drive AMD backrupt, right. :p

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day!

You are driving AMD to bankruptcy.
    Always talking smack about Nvidia, but readily giving them moneys.
    While giving AMD only a lip-service, and never buying anything from them.

9. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Thanks to Noisiv in another thread, the link to the Timespy is here:

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/1544741

So it is legit or a spoofid run but interesting to say the least.

10. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I actually think AMD priced the Ryzen 7 a bit too low - frankly, they could have priced them $100 higher and they would still be a great value. A higher price might have also prevented reviewers from comparing it to Intel CPUs within the same range (like the 7700K) and the negative press that followed.

As for the supposed Vega benchmarks, I think we should wait for the real ones. I will say this though: although I expect Vega to be competitive, I don't expect it to beat the 1080 ti. I only hope that they can release a product that has enough performance (and a good price) to steal significant market share away from Nvidia. A best case scenario is what they did with Ryzen - deliver similar performance for half the price. This would be a win in my books and a clear buy from me (it could replace the 1060 that I'm using as a second GPU).

11. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Geez, i haven't heard that saying for many a year.

12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    And it's exactly the same as Fury X 1200/550. So it's not the real score
    Vega will get or they actually improved upon nothing or just went back to Fiji?

But since we know they improved upon many many things. It should be higher even at the same clock speed.

13. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I would say it is genuine, but just an early engineering sample.

14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Most likely. ES among other things.

15. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    8 GB of VRAM. No fury has more than 4 GB unless it was the Nano Dual Pro but then it should score way higher than that! :D

16. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Maybe Vega is just another Fury with more ram and better efficiency including newer technologies. Perhaps they decided to leave any means getting to the top like Ryzen, they can't move the Queen Intel so they admit they can't move any other Queen (see Nvidia for GPU crown) :nerd: That's life anyway.

17. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    That is not what I meant but yes. I meant it's the exact same score as Fury would get at those clocks. That is all.

I do believe Vega can challenge nvidia just like Ryzen could challenge intel especially when it was 16t vs 16t situation and that is all that matters.