Possible? If so, how? FX5900->Quadro / 6800->Quadro

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by DarknessGFX, Feb 25, 2006.

1. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Some quick questions:

Will this card here work?
    Can I use two cards in SLi?
    Can I use one modded 6800GT and one 7950GT together in one machine?
    Will the mod work with any Quadro driver or did the newer driver disable this mod?

2. mtosic

mtosic New Member

I have one question, does Autocad 2008 use pro caps of Quadro, in other words, how can i test difference between my 6800gt and modded quadro 4000fx. I'm asking this because i've opened a little more complex 3d drawing in autocad, and i'm not impressed with zoom and rotation speed. I don't know how it was before cause that's my mothers computer (she's an architect, i've done the mod ;).

I've done the following:
    1. modded to quadro with rivatuner (tested with SpecviewPerf 7.1, increases are pretty fine ;)
    2. replaced strings in nv4_disp.inf and oem*.inf (6800 Series with Quadro 4000FX) so now WinXP shows Quadro FX 4000 instead of Nvidia 6800 Series GPU
    3. expanded nvwsapps.xml cause of profiles.

P.S. will there be a powerdraft for Autocad 2008?

3. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    If it's NV40/45/48 based, than it will work. If it's an overclocked mislabeled NV41/42 card, than it wont work.
    You can do that only if you are willing to Quadropatch the BIOS. RivaTuner's NVStrap will mod only the primary card, the secondary will not be modded.
    You can, but you can forget about SLI. The cards will work as two completely separate display cards.
    It will work with any Quadro driver. NVIDIA has not find a way to disable modding without affecting the customers who bought a real Quadro FX4000 card .

4. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Unless you use Powerdraft or switch the main display renderer to OpenGL/D3D, AutoCAD will not use 3D hardware acceleration at all (it uses Heidi software 3D driver by default)

Only NVIDIA can provide you with an answer of availability of Powerdraft for ACAD 2008.

5. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Thanks for the reply, I have one more question, would the mod work with WinXP64?

6. mtosic

mtosic New Member

This is what Performance Log Tuner says:

Performance Tuner Results Log
    Version: 17.1.0.1
    Date of Last Tune: 9.5.2007

Machine Configuration
    ---------------------
    Processor Speed : 1.9 GHz
    RAM : 2046 MB

3D Device
    ---------
    Name : NVIDIA Quadro FX 4000
    Manufacturer : NVIDIA
    Chip set : Quadro FX 4000
    Memory : 256.0 MB
    Driver : 6.14.0010.9136

Your machine contains a certified 3D Device with a driver version that is certified.

Current application driver: wopengl9.hdi

Current Effect Status:
    ----------------------
    Geometry acceleration: Available and on
    Smooth line display: Available and on
    Gooch shader: Available and using hardware
    Full-shadow display: Available and on
    Texture compression: Available and on

Available application drivers and effect support:
    -------------------------------------------------
    Software driver
    Effect support:

Geometry acceleration: Not available
    Smooth line display: Not available
    Gooch shader: Software emulation only
    Full-shadow display: Not available
    Texture compression: Not available

OpenGL driver: Certified
    Effect support:

Geometry acceleration: Available
    Smooth line display: Available
    Gooch shader: Available
    Full-shadow display: Available
    Texture compression: Available

Direct3D driver: Certified
    Effect support:

Geometry acceleration: Available
    Smooth line display: Not available
    Gooch shader: Available
    Full-shadow display: Available
    Texture compression: Available

Am i using hardware acceleration when it says: Available and on, or just when it says: Available and using hardware

7. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sorry, I stopped using AutoCAD ages ago (the last i am familiar with is Release 14).
    Someone else will have to answer that for you.
    My gut tells me OpenGL acceleration is enabled, since the active driver is wopengl.hdi

8. clokkevi

clokkevi Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    Yes, you are using OpenGL hardware acceleration
    It says "Available and using hardware" only for the Gooch-shader,
    because that is the only effect which is possible to emulate with the software driver.
    So while the other effects;
    Geometry acceleration,
    Smooth line display,
    Full-shadow display
    and
    Texture compression
    are only
    "Available and on" or "Available and off" for hardware
    and
    "Not Available" for software..

..the Gooch-shader can be
    "Available and using hardware" or "Available and off" for hardware,
    and
    "Available and using software emulation" or "Available and off" for software.

BTW, I do not have Autocad or Inventor installed now,
    so I do not know if these are the exact names of the choices,
    but I believe this is the general idea, at least...

9. mtosic

mtosic New Member

Thank you very much for the info.

10. zangtumtum

zangtumtum New Member

GPU:
    6800Ultra@QuadroFX4000
    hi at all...my bench with specviewperf 7.1 with right setting(1280,sync off....) on pentium 945 overcloked.
    The board is an leadtek 6800 Ultra on PCI-E normal freq.

Geforce 6800 Ultra PCI-E@Quadro FX 4000

Run All Summary

---------- SUM_RESULTS\3DSMAX\SUMMARY.TXT
    3dsmax-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 44.24

---------- SUM_RESULTS\DRV\SUMMARY.TXT
    drv-09 Weighted Geometric Mean = 270.3

---------- SUM_RESULTS\DX\SUMMARY.TXT
    dx-08 Weighted Geometric Mean = 180.1

---------- SUM_RESULTS\LIGHT\SUMMARY.TXT
    light-06 Weighted Geometric Mean = 47.24

---------- SUM_RESULTS\PROE\SUMMARY.TXT
    proe-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 63.80

---------- SUM_RESULTS\UGS\SUMMARY.TXT
    ugs-03 Weighted Geometric Mean = 76.5

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007

11. pedrolito

pedrolito Member

GPU:
    POV 6800GT @Ultra+ @Quadro FX4000
    I am currently downloading Specviewperf10, once it's finished, I'll post the benchmark results of my modded 6800GT baby :D

@mtosic: are you using an AGP card? How does it show Quadro in autocad? I have a modded PCIexpress card, and it still appears as Geforce 6800GT under autocad.

By the way, I have never been able to install powerdraft, the installer just didn't work: when it asked me to choose which version of powerdraft to install in a choice-list, well... the choice list was empty.

12. terrablader

terrablader Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870,HD2900XT,HD4350
    d/l 7.1 thats the one everyone is posting with

13. pedrolito

pedrolito Member

GPU:
    POV 6800GT @Ultra+ @Quadro FX4000
    The problem is that you have no idea how well your hardware performs on actual CAD software using 7.1

Spec9 was already hammering my CG. By the way the download failed, it is so slooooow....

14. fosi

fosi Member

GPU:
    asus v9900 fx5800
    Hi all... im having troubles softmodding my agp8x nv30 "geforce 5800 > quadro fx1000" using this way! does anyone had issues on this??

what im doing:

downloaded the Aliasstudio 2008 certified 91.36_forceware_quadro_winxp2k_english_whql.exe

installed the drivers

installed the rivatuner v2.02

started rivatuner

hit INSTALL in the rivatuner>main>lowlevelsyssettings>nvstrap driver>
    ( Noticed that the "Unlock professional capabilities" was in grey and didnt let me choose it ) < strange

checked the ON "Use ROM straps for PCI programming"

rivatuner>main>lowlevelsyssettings>nvstrap driver>graphics adapter id.>custom>0309 NVIDIA quadro FX 1000

hit APPLY

closed rivatuner

10º rebooted

11º after the reboot! it seemed to me that everything went well! "display properties" was showing Nvidia FX 1000!

12º started Aliasstudio 2008

13º started moddeling something! a few seconds later! the display freezes, it doesnt letme reboots! so i reset the cpu.

14º after the reset. i started 3ds max 8, started moddeling something! and a few seconds later.... it freezes again!!!! :(

does anyone knows what is wrong? i used to softmod my fx5800 with the older 45.28 drivers mod. but Aliasstudio isnt compatible with that driver anymore :( can someone please help?

15. aninjaturtle

aninjaturtle New Member

I was reading through this thread and I saw some with no experience with Cinema 4d suggesting that there was no reason to apply this mod and that you would get the same results. Time for me to post some results.

I'm currently running windows vista 64 and cinema 4d 64 bit edition.

[​IMG]

Notice that it does not recognize the driver.

[​IMG]

This is what an image looks like without the quadro mod.

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like with the quadro mod. The enhanced gl options are not available without this mod and i'm not sure which consumer cards actually in fact offer those settings if any. Anyways, I hope you realize how much of a benefit having the enhanced gl is.

O, yea it also repaired a screen flickering problem I was having with vista dealing with my msi 6800gt.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007

16. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You will get the same image as the "quadro" one if you use Windows XP instead of Vista even if you use a plain GeForce. Vista sucks for OpenGL.

17. aninjaturtle

aninjaturtle New Member

How so? I switched to vista because I knew I would have to eventually...

18. clokkevi

clokkevi Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    The problem is that Microsoft develops the DirectX API,
    so in their eyes, OpenGL is a competing API that they would rather see ditched.
    Also, since OpenGL is cross-platform, it lets people run Linux instead of Windows.

When Windows 2000 and Windows XP were developed, the then-super-mighty SGI still had the main share of high-end graphic applications
    - they made top-performance graphic systems using RISC-based CPUs from MIPS, which were running on their IRIX platform, and..
    ..using the OpenGL graphic API.

Because OpenGL had good support on Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP,
    the graphic application vendors ported their stuff to PC/Windows platform because it was cheaper.
    So it was good for Microsoft to have good support for OpenGL at that time.

But now SGI is a "new" company, they don't make graphic systems anymore, instead they make general computing servers with Intel Xeon CPUs.

So Microsoft now find it wiser to make Vista have much better support for DirectX than OpenGL.
    The worse OpenGL performs on Vista, the more vendors will ditch it in favor of the new DirectX 10.

In Vista, the user interface itself has become DirectX 10, whereas it has always been GDI in the older Windows versions.

So, as AlecRyben wrote..: "Vista sucks for OpenGL" :(

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/page7.html
    http://www.google.com/search?q=vista+openGL+sucks
    http://www.google.com/search?q=vista+openGL+issue
    http://www.google.com/search?q=vista+openGL+performance

I will - eventually - install Windows Vista as a secondary OS to Windows XP in a dual-boot system, when I get a DirectX 10 graphic card like the Nvidia GeForce 8x00.
    And then I will boot to Vista whenever I want to play a new DirectX 10 game
    - or use a graphic program like 3ds max 10 or 11 which have nice DirectX 10 features
    (or maybe even, has *only* support for Vista / DirectX..)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  19. aninjaturtle

aninjaturtle New Member

Ok, I'm not too saavy with the intracies of graphics cards. I just want enhanced opengl at a bargain price. And I figured I'd give a go at switching to vista cuz I had a computer powerful enough to chew it up. From what you are saying would I see large gains in 3d modeling in windows 64 bit vs vista 64 bit? As in handling larger scenes without acting choppy? Or would the difference be negliable?

Moreover, I have a second msi card could I really handle some heavy stuff I decided to put that in?

BTW, I learned how to use 3dmax and rhino first-- I truly hate both of those programs after learning cinema 4d. 3dmax because it can't handle nurbs modeling and rhino because it can't handle nurbs modeling as well as cinema 4d ;) Plus vray will be out for cinema 4d so 3dmax seems just silly and not user friendly at this point. Autodesk makes terrible products.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  20. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The difference will be substantial in all applications that use OpenGL instead of D3D.
    I don't really understand this question - are you asking if the modeling of "heavy stuff" will be faster if you put a second card in the system?
    I would have to say no. SLI may help a bit, but the difference is not really as big as it is in the gaming since geometry performance cannot be as easily split up to two cards as the rasterization performance.
    You are just not experienced enough - Rhino has much better handling of higher order surfaces than Cinema4D and Vray works much better with Rhino especially when it comes to rendering NURBS surfaces directly (without tesselating them first into polygon meshes). You are falling into the same old trap - instead of becoming good in one software platform first, you are jumping to other platforms early in the process of learning while thinking "everything will be better once I find the best software".
    It doesn't really work that way in real life. For example, there are a lot of experienced pros in the business that can easily switch software platforms and still succeed in producing equally stunning results equally fast each and every time. ;)