Possible ideas for future Afterburner functionality upgrades

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by Unwinder, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nuno_p

nuno_p Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX660TI PE\OC
    Unwinder the new gpu-z is out and now we can monitor the grahics memory usage on AMD graphics card.

Will the msi afterburner have memory monitoring for AMD graphics card?

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Didn't know that AMD drivers finally provided interface for this greatly demanded feature. Thanks for informing, I'll check it out and surely add support for it in Afterburner if it really became possible.

3. nuno_p

nuno_p Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX660TI PE\OC
    I was very suprised too. :)

4. Blitz6804

Blitz6804 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1020/1502
    Nice! I have always wondered why it wasn't there...

Interestingly, I am on 11.6, and GPUz can still read it. They must have silently snuck it in a while ago.

5. Unwinder

Talked to my good friend Wizzard and did some research myself. Unfortunately GPU-Z implementation was provided to him by some third party under strict NDA, so we couldn't even discuss any technical implementation details.
    But it looks like it is not AMD's merit, the implementation is not AMD specific, it looks like GPU-Z uses the same newly discovered "hole" for accessling Vista driver model performance counters just like recently released ProcessExplorer 15.
    I'm actively analyzing this hole now. And gladly, I'm not under NDA so once I get it working, the implementation will also get into hands of all friendly developers and get into other products like Everest, ATT and so on.

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Glad to hear that, look forward to seeing support in all the major products.

7. Unwinder

Done. Got access to "hole" working on my primary rig. The PC is NVIDIA GPU based so I can compare OS videomemory usage performance counter with native NVIDIA videomemory usage reported via NVAPI. The results for both paths are close. NVAPI reports a few MB more in use than performance counters accessed throgh the "hole", but considering that delta between the results remains fixed under the load I'd say that performance counter results are pretty accurate and can be just a few MB off (probably minus some additional driver caches seen to NVAPI but invisible to the counter).
    Will test it on AMD soon (but see no reasons why it wouldn't work, becasue implementation is vendor independent) and report the results.

P.S. The path is specific to Vista/W7 driver model, so it won't work under XP for sure. However, I could get it working under W7 only, but not under Vista (ProcessExplorer and GPU-Z gave the same result, i.e. no videomemory usage monitoring).

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Alexey Nicolaychuk aka "the sly fox" lol :)
    good news for those wanting support for that function.

9. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Great news :)

10. Blitz6804

Blitz6804 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1020/1502
    There are tons of us with ATi cards that would be willing to test the 'hole' on our end. ;)

Thanks again for all your hard work! :D

11. Unwinder

More good news on videomemory monitoring:

I finished investigating why neither ProcessExplorer nor GPU-Z reported videomemory usage data under Vista. Undocumented D3DKMTQueryStatistics fuction, which they use to access internal OS VRAM usage statistics is indeed the same for Vista and W7, however its data format is completely different. Both tools seem to be reading and interpreting W7 format only. I'm having good progress with decrypting Vista specific data layout, so I'm almost 100% certain that Afterburner will support videomemory usage monitoring under both Vista and W7 on AMD cards. It is also technically possible to use DirectDraw path similar to old good RivaTuner VMEM monitoring plugins for XP, so maybe I'll add separate path for XP in future as well.

12. nuno_p

nuno_p Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX660TI PE\OC
    More great news.

You Unwinder are the man. :D

13. 01101

01101 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Ati HD6990 4GB
    Ha, very nice work man. I have the Sapphire HD6990, would that work with this card as well?

14. Unwinder

Latest progress on videomemory monitoring:

Vista path is working. XP path (via old good RivaTuner vidmem plugin technology) is done too. We'll test it privately a bit then release new beta.

15. nuno_p

nuno_p Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX660TI PE\OC
    Good to hear that. :)

Keep up the good work Unwinder. ;)

16. bnmbnm

bnmbnm New Member

GPU:
    Asus EAH6850
    possible to add vreg temp to monitor?

17. loop29

loop29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Good day,

I see you´re still up and running getting funtionality into your app others doesn´t seem to be able to implement in their software. :thumbup:
    And having a lot of fun with it actually, good work on the OS video memory readout.

I´m pretty much aware that others have requested plugin functionality before and I want to add my support for this functionality. I do understand that implementations have to be reviewed by MSI and have to be found necessary for Afterburner afterall. Here are my suggestions:

1. Make 3rd party plugins available in Afterburner, for example support for CPU temperature is what I think most users are looking for. Would make other applications unnecessary. I don´t have high hopes for that since I know that RT has this functionality and you already stated it is mainly domain of RT, but since this is now out of the picture anyways I thought it would suit AB nicely.

2. Total Power Accumulation of the GPU in Watts:
    I´m aware that this is dependant on hardware making such parameters available to software. I think it´s a nice idea especially for overclockers to keep track of total power requirements.

All the best

18. Unwinder

Greetings, Falk!

Really nice to see old good names here ;) During this vacation I was brainstorming different ideas of future MSI Afterburner improvements. Monitoring plugins support (probably even native RivaTuner monitoring plugins support) was the primary idea. However, no promises on it right now, I have not even discussed it yet with MSI.

19. z7x

z7x Member

GPU:
    HD7990 6GB
    That!

And that!

20. Unwinder

Nope. VRMs are not sensor type class devices, they are not intended for frequent software polling and doing so MAY cause compatibility and system stability issues. VRM temeperature monitoring will be only available for triple temperature series custom MSI cards, having dedicated sensor connected to VRM and able to read temperature without accessin VRM itself.
    However, if we add plugins support - you can create your own plugins to get any temeprature you wish under your own responsibility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.