Possible HD 6870 X2 (x2) Upgrade

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Deleted member 213629, Jun 30, 2012.

1. I got an HD 6870 X2 for about $150, my question is: Is it worth selling my two 470s with aftermarket silent coolers for about $350 and using the profits to add another HD 6870 X2? They're selling on newegg atm for about $200, so I figure this way I'd be getting more raw gpu perf. (4 gpus) and it wouldn't really cost me anything since I'd basically be swaping in a sense. I do some gaming as well as a lot of content creation/3d rendering... I wasn't planning on upgrading but seeing how all this does is cost me time and not really money (since id be making up for the cost by selling my current cards?) I figured it couldn't hurt right? Your thoughts ppl...

also: AMD doesn't have a CUDA equivalent as I understand it... that said are 4 w/o cuda still better than 2 w/th cuda in that sense?

edit: Can/Would the 1GB ram allocated to each 6870 gpu limit me somehow? So far I've never had an issue with my current setup and each 470s not much more per gpu...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah the 1GB can limit in games like BF3 that use a lot of vram, not sure about applications tho.

Crossfire is plagued with bugs, tbh you're better off selling all 3 cards and going for something like this;
    [​IMG]

ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 Now: $419.99

Any reason u want to upgrade....are u not happy with the performance atm?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  3. Performance is good atm, well more than good, I just figured if I could swap em without having to spend much since I've got a few ppl on craigslist willing to buy the 470s for what 2 6870 x2s would cost that it would be worth the trouble? I dunno... from your response I'm gathering crossfire isn't so good...

4. [​IMG]

really? I thought in win 7 it 'shares' the ram or something? seems to be alright in that review I think the res there is 1920x1080 or something, I mean how bad could the crossfire drivers be... I'm just looking more at the price/perf ratio ... of having quad 6870 for the price of two 470s, Im assuming it'd perform better... I wanted to ask though incase there's some kind of well known outstanding issue *always been more of an nvidia guy not to bright when it comes to ATI tech*
    I've read comments about VRAM being an issue, but all reviews I've read seem to point to the contrary...
    found this too...

GTX 670:
    [​IMG]

HD 6870 X2:
    [​IMG]

5. prophet^

prophet^ Member

GPU:
    gainward gtx 970 SLI
    i used to own 6870x2 + 6870, can't say much about anything other than bf3 though but the scaling in bf3 was average with 3 cards, going down to 2 cards didn't make much difference.

also if you want to play bf3 in ultra you're better off getting a faster singel card with more ram, the 1gb on 6870 won't last you long and you'll end up getting bad fps drops etc trying to play with ultra textures and AA etc even if you have 4 gpus

6. damn...
    ...damn....

ok ... man that blows, but thanks! :) I appreciate the response!

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Sure, the fps results for BF3 may be acceptable, but benchmarks don't show stuttering which occurs when the card runs out of vram

Check out the BF3 thread in gaming section - you'll see many posts from owners of cards with 1GB or less vram describing how they can't run with settings on high, due to lag/stuttering that occurs.

Regarding multigpu's I suggest reading the stickied ATI driver threads.

The number of complaints related to Crossfire is endless.....like CF not working in-game, flickering, stuck clocks, only one gpu working, etc etc...check it out for yourself.

I'm not trying to put you off, just giving you the full story....:)

EDIT-
    Windows7 doesn't share ram btw unless the mobo has an IGP.....I know it says shared graphics memory amount or some crap under System Properties, but this is in theory only.

Discrete graphics cards do not share system memory

8. prophet^

prophet^ Member

GPU:
    gainward gtx 970 SLI
  9. :/ I'm glad I asked...thanks you two :) looks like I'll be going with a GTX 670...

10. prophet^

prophet^ Member

GPU:
    gainward gtx 970 SLI
    im really happy with the 670, slightly oc'd (+88 core) gives me enough performance to play bf3 in ultra with 2xAA in 1080p and not drop under 50ish fps unless i get blown up by tank etc which is fine for me as im dead then anyway.

only other game i've played so far is diablo 3 which runs average for me, i get quite a lot of stuttering compared to my radeon 7950

11. odd i run diablo 3 maxed out no issues 60 fps constant... hopefully it's just something that will improve with newer drivers for the 6xx series... but it's clear to me that I'm btr off just selling both 470s buying that 670, and adding another some time down the road ...

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well the 7970 is another option, tho it might be more expensive....the other thing is the 7xxx series seem to have a lot of instability issues - BSOD's and black screens/lockups etc...

But yeah like you said, a single card is a whole lot less hassle. :)

13. prophet^

prophet^ Member

GPU:
    gainward gtx 970 SLI
    yeah im guessing it's just driver related as the game runs fine, fps wise, without vsync. it's just not playable without vsync in d3 for me

14. GotNoRice

GotNoRice Active Member

GPU:
    2080 RTX
    When you go to the section where people post about problems, you are going to find people posting about problems. People rarely post just to say everything is working great. Just the same, you can go to the Nvidia section and see plenty of problems on that side also.

There really isn't anything to be afraid of when it comes to crossfire. I've been using a quad GPU setup for years now and it has been an excellent experience.

I wouldn't say that 1GB is necessarily limiting unless you just blindly max out AA in all the games you play. Keep the AA settings reasonable, and use the edge-detect AA filter which uses stream processors for AA calculations, taking some of the burden off the VRam.

The 6870x2 for $200 on newegg is an amazing deal IMO. That's almost half the price of what it should be given the performance you get from it.

15. prophet^

prophet^ Member

GPU:
    gainward gtx 970 SLI

the biggest problem i'd say with crossfire is the lack of support/scaling etc, only game i tried so far that scales close to 100% with 2 cards is bf3 (xfire and sli), many other titles have scaled poorly or not had support for it at all. end of the day i guess it depends what you do, but you're better off getting a card with 2gb or more ram today if you play games like bf3 even if you go with 2 cards in the end

and to clarify why i use bf3 as example is that it's the game i've had the best multicard experience with and played the most :)

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    uhm do not do crossfire, you will be disappointed. im not even sure you can do 4 way 6870s anyways. just get a single GTX 670

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    This isn't about ATI vs Nvidia, this is about 1 card vs 2, and people don't simply post problems in the driver threads - they post their results, which for CF users are mostly bad.
    There are plenty of positive comments from single gpu users.....

1GB vram is very restrictive for a CF setup...
    Not much point of running dual/quad GPU's if (as in your example) the graphics settings need to be reduced due to lack of vram - you may as well be using one card....

Sure it is, but there are no 6870X2's available on newegg, the only one listed is out of stock.....

18. GotNoRice

GotNoRice Active Member

GPU:
    2080 RTX
    Like which games? I've run a quad-GPU setup since 2009 and that whole time the only game that had any issues at all was GTA4, which only used 2 GPUs.

People throw out blanket statements about crossfire having problems but fail to substantiate that with any actual information. That leaves me to wonder if you are talking about problems that actually exist or simply repeating commonly held assumptions.

Most people don't really understand exactly how cards scale in Crossfire or SLI. The most common mistake I see people making is adding a 2nd card to a system and expecting their FPS to double and both GPUs to be at 100% utilization, etc. The best Crossfire scaling situations tend to be those where you were GPU limited with one card, and are still GPU limited with 2+ cards. If adding a 2nd card just causes your CPU to become the bottleneck, then your resulting lack of performance increase isn't a result of bad crossfire scaling, it's a result of your CPU becoming the bottleneck... But people don't make that connection.

Well people being "not sure" when it comes to many aspects of crossfire is pretty common... You absolutely can do Quad Crossfire with 2x 6870x2, or Triple crossfire with a 6870 and a 6870x2.

There are also considerably more single-GPU users. I wasn't trying to make this about AMD vs Nvidia, but even award winning products have people complaining about problems in relevant support forums.

Because all settings aren't created equal and every setting doesn't place an equivalent burden on the VRam. In many cases all you have to do is just not go crazy with the AA to mitigate the VRam issue, and as I said previously, other things such as using the edge-detect AA filter also help. My performance in games such as BF3 is fantastic despite only having 1GB VRam.

It was in-stock as of earlier this morning. Amazing deals don't last forever.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^I think you're just looking for an argument and I'm not going to bite.

20. prophet^

prophet^ Member

GPU:
    gainward gtx 970 SLI
    everquest 2, rift, guild wars 2, bf3 scaled poorly with 3 gpu's, tribes beta didn't even start with 6870x2 when i tried it, diablo 3 scaling was bad when i tried it and suffered from pretty bad stuttering. then again there are as many games it works well in, really depends what you play imo and how sensetive you are to microstuttering

i've run 6870x2+6870, 6870x2 and gtx560ti sli, microstuttering is quite noticeable once you go back to singel card

also when im talking about bad scaling i don't mean games that are cpu limited