Possible Fix for Cat 8.12 Problems

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Infinity7_00, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
    I installed the 8.12 tonight the usual way and it completed and then wanted me to reboot like usual and when it rebooted and came up to Windows (Vista 32-bit SP1) the screen was very very dimly lit but everything else seemed fine. I'm using a Samsung 40" LCD TV 1080P. Going throught the settings I could not find a reason to explain it and rebooting did not help. On a hunch I tried installing the drivers again on top of themselves while I was booted up in Windows (not in Safe Mode or in Standard VGA). Suddenly as the driver was installing on top of itself all of the normal screen brightness came back and everything looks fine even after a reboot. Both GPU's appear to be fine on the Sapphire 4870x2 card.

My conclusion? The drivers did not completely install the first time and because I installed them a second time on top of themselves it fixed the issue and installed some file or something that didn't install properly the first time. The way the screen was appearing to me as I did that gives me the impression that the conclusion is correct. I hope this fix helps some of you out there.

2. kapo

kapo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
    I had the dim screen too but as soon as I opened ccc it automatically went back to my normal brightness for some reason. These drivers are very buggy. I'll try installing it over itself later tonight and see if that gets the other gpu to work but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

3. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    I still have a 4870 card and am interested to hear what people have found out about the 8.12 drivers. this is all very intriguing to me, having to install twice, install over the top of 8.11. Seems like you have to do everything except a sacrifice to the gods lol. I'll be installing my old 4870 into another system soon and if there's any problems I will follow threads here for a possible solution.

Anyway good luck.

4. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Nothing should keep a person from making their proper sacrifices to their Gods, but installing drivers definitely shouldn't have anything to do with that!

The 8.12 drivers are the best set yet in
    These drivers are far from buggy (for me at least) - in fact, I've struggled since everyone jumped from nVidia to ATi this last round, to understand why everyone is having driver issues all of a sudden when a lot of these things didn't happen so much in the past. See, I've *always* been an ATi user, I'm a fan of them and what they stand for, so I've only bought their produces exclusively for many, many years now (Since like '95 or something - and even when they weren't even close to as good as the green side I stuck by them), and I've seen people come and go back and forth to the red side, and with every influx of people come these problems.

So, I'm starting to think that it's previous nVidia users that aren't fully understanding the ATi driver sets and the CCC that this happens most to (I'd be happy to be wrong, but I've seen this for years...doesn't mean that I'm right by any means though!)

For as long as CCC has been being developed, you're supposed to install the Catalyst Drivers on top of the previous sets. There's no need to uninstall anything, and there's no need to clear out old registry settings for old drivers. - Just download and install the newest version when it comes out.

Now then, I'm not saying that ATi's drivers are always perfect and people just don't have issues - I've read tonz of posts of people that have their problems with the CCC or the drivers themselves.

When in doubt, or if a driver gets borked on install (which can happen occasionally to *any* driver) - then it's best to uninstall them via Add/Remove Programs (XP) or Programs and Features (Vista), then run DriverCleaner Pro (found here at Guru3D), reboot and cancel the Windows automagic driver install, and then install the newest drivers.

Hope that helps to shed some light on ATi's drivers...

Psychlone

5. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    i love this driver so far,every driver I've installed since I've brought my card as been better and better.
    wasn't looking for a miracle like some people.
    all i did was uninstall the 8.12rc3 restart,delete the old driver from the ati folder and install 8.12....saw increase across the board in everything so far...............

6. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    ^ I was going to mention (but forgot) that I had the 8.12 Beta drivers installed as well (over the top of the official 8.11, which was over top of the 8.11 Beta 1, which was over the top of the 8.11 Beta 2, which was over the top of the 8.10, and so on). I always just install right over the top of them, like I always have - and experienced no problems.
    In fact, if there were any remnants of old drivers or registry settings (which ATi says they all get written over during the new version installs) - I would have stuff from when I first installed Vista on this machine...seems like 8.2's or something, and before that, it would have been back into the early 7 series drivers.

To paraphrase, I NEVER uninstall the old driver sets before installing the new ones, and have never experienced anything negative because of this. ATi says that all the previous driver files are overwritten by the newer ones, and that all the old registry entries are all overwritten by the new registry entires during the time of the new driver install, so the Catalyst Install Manager is actually doing the uninstalling (in effect) for you.

Psychlone

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  7. amdking

amdking Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 460 768MB OC'd
    One thing you have to remember though, windows doesnt always function as it should, as we all very well know =).
    Sometimes when installing new drivers, things dont get overwritten properly due to either windows registry security permissions going bonkers on the driver settings or system files with the drivers have odd copy over and delete issues....Or something in windows is messed up to the point where its auto system file protection kicks in and fights with ati's installer the whole way, getting a mixed set of drivers files or for whatever reasons...that endlessly go on with windows.

I generally have luck with installing over the previous driver as well, but sometimes I have horrible luck and it requires me going and getting DH cleaner pro, running that and running it again and then taking out whatever keys it found but will not get rid of because of the ATI driver nature in registry to put only system permission access to the keys...and I have to go override those permissions and then manually delete the keys....all crazy stuff like that.

Then and finally THEN the new drivers will install nicely.
    So, sometimes its easy and sometimes its hard...in the end its about how windows and the ati installer get along and what messes up and what doesnt =)

8. kalispimenta

kalispimenta Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @680X1030MHZ
  9. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080TI Duke
    The P5E bios, 1102, don't think that would fix the code 43 problem. Anyone test it?

10. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Dim screen is a common problem. Generally goes away when either opening CCC or launching a 3D app. Doesn't require a reinstall.

11. Bojcha

Bojcha Active Member

GPU:
    many
    i agree but not 100%

m8 check your folder in registry where ATi driver stores your 2D driver ;)

must be a more then a 20 "folder-drivers" [number depends how much times you instaled Ati driver on your system.]

12. pekka

pekka Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX580twin frozr PE
    Hello everyone

one thing i noticed was if using a drivercleaner kind of app and the intalling new ATI drivers went bananas on me so i only use the built in uninstaller that is included with ATI drivers.

I have also seen many having problmes after using a drivercleaner application, so try either and see what works best.

about intalling on top of drivers does this include modded drivers like tweakforce dna and such?

now i await the 9.1 beta´s wich i guess will come sometime in Dec?

and the i guess the real 9.1´s come mid january

merry Xmas

13. TDurden

TDurden Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    It seems the device manager error 43 problem is connected with using more than 4GB of RAM.
    For now a temporary fix seems to be limiting RAM usage to below 4GB. This can be done in msconfig -> boot -> advanced options -> maximum memory
    If you tried the above or have 4GB of RAM and it still does not work, you need to disable Memory Remapping feature in BIOS.

Im gonna try the new ASUS BIOS 1102:
    It seems their English is even worse then mine:)

Edit: Negative. Asus BIOS update did not help. Error 43 still here.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008