1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Bricked Gtx 970, Help needed.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by A M D BugBear, Jan 13, 2019 at 3:41 AM.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    Hello, been awhile since I lasted posted on this site.

Yes, I been using the Max Unleashed bios for my gtx 970's.

I have some 970's laying around.

One I had for awhile, that one had the bios already flashed, Then I tried to flash the Max Unleashed bios that I had on to this other gigabyte gtx 970 with NVIDIA NVFlash, Certificate Checks Bypassed v5.287.

This is the one I used to flash the other card, all went well, BUT, the other card I tried to flash now has a black screen.

The monitor picks ups the gpu but screen goes black. I put the card in the second pci-e slot and used gpu-z and here what it says:

On the good working one, everything comes up except for like fillrate,bus width and bandwidth, this is showing up like this because I recently un-installed the drivers BUT the 2nd gpu, this bios, memory size and the shader says Unknown, the other gpu don't have this problem.

Also, I tried using this card as the main card and tried to start system, on my mobo, it says code 62 and it just stays there unless I push power off.

Under nvflash

I tried to install the graphic drivers while this card is on the 2nd pci-e slot and its a no go, system reset itself.

Upon further inspection, while on nvflash, I did --list, both gpu's says geforce gtx 970.

While still under nvflash, I tried flashing again with NVIDIA NVFlash, Certificate Checks Bypassed v5.287, and I get an error:

Command id:1000000E command: NV_Ucode_CMD_Command_W Failed
    Command Status:NV_Ucode_CMD_STS_NEW
    Error: NV_UCODE_ERR_CODE_CMD_VBIOS_VERIFY_BIOS_SIG_FAIL

Command id:000E Command: NV_UCODE_CMD_COMMAND_W FAILED
    Command Status:NV_UCODE_CMD_STS_NONE
    Error: NV_UCODE_ERR_CODE_CMD_VBIOS_VERIFY_BIOS_SIG_FAIL

Then it tries to store updated firmware image, everything seems to go through after the failed attempt.

I also Looked under device manager while no drivers are installed, there is 2 microsoft basic display adapter, the good working one has no exclamation mark on it but the one that has problem has an exclamation mark on it.

The card however was working perfectly under stock bios.

I also did further inspection of the card, taking the heatsink off to see any pcb damages, there was no burn resistors, caps,etc, I even took the backplate off, all looks good, no unusual smell or anything.

Most interesting of all is this, the gpu, while feeling the heat with your hand, it seems it barely seems to get warm at all, while on the good working gpu, you can feel the heat kicking in and more pronounced.

I think the card still works but it seems I can't flash it at all.

I also tried to use the latest nvflash and see if I can revert it back to stock, it manages to flash with no visible errors and yet I still get black screen and mobo hangs at code 62.

If anyone could help, many thanks.

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 XC Ultra
    Are you using nvflash on a flash drive bootable to DOS? If not, try that.

3. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    I tried making a usb dos with a program called hpusbdisk and its dos files.

I tried using nvflash and dos refuses to run. I also tried doing through safe mode with cmd feature, still same above mentioned error.

4. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    Excuse me, I meant the nvflash refuses to run within dos.

5. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    Ok just to give everyone heads up here.

I am also asking advice from overlockers .net(the one I got the bios from).

One person said that he only modifies his own bios to the same exact parameters as the max unleashed ones because their might be a chance the flash may or may not go through or etc.

He did say this:

When flashing Maxwell you're better off modding your own BIOS than flashing another due to variations in the BIOS and PCB design.

So what I did is I had a stock bios backed up, I used the maxwell bios editor II, I had to bios profiles side by side, the stock one and the modified one, I made the same exact changes to the stock bios from the modified one, once it was all done, I saved it and flashed it, I still got the same errors as I mentioned eariler on this post but something interesting happens this time.

This time the bios comes up under gpuz instead of unknown, same goes for memory,shaders.

So I reset the system, Checked gpuz, now all three says unknown. I flashed the bios again, now everything shows up on gpuz.

From here I installed the nvidia drivers, I checked device manager, both gpu's says geforce gtx 970.

Hooked up the sli bridge, reset the system, while loading into windows, guess what happens next, Black Screen, it hanged for a bit and then the system reset itself naturally.

I tried putting that card in the first slot and nothing in the 2nd slot, loaded up the system, Monitor tries to get signal but turns completely black and my asus code still the same as I mentioned before, 62.

Furthermore, I checked the heat on the card with my hands again, I quickly felt the vrm heatsink area, backplate around the gpu area, barely warm.

Far as flashing into bios, the only real thing to do now is use the floppy drive, I have one years ago but trashed it because it was never been used really, could have used it now, but in the condition of this card that's in now, my expected results would be the same as above mentioned.

6. Dagda

Dagda Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti/rtx 2070
    weird i never had any bios flashing issues with my previous gtx 980, and i was doing the same as you, (backing up my own bios then modifing with the values of max unleashed bios), but of course my gpu was a giganbyte gaming g1, same as unleashed modded bios, so all the settings just fitted normally.

If you have a different card than the gigabyte not all the values will be the same, so you probably need to try other bios settings that match you own like these https://www.overclock.net/forum/71-...980-firmware-zoson-s-h2o-air-custom-bios.html.

7. Scerate

Scerate Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    Well what you can do are 3 things, at least what i would do

1) find a spare usb stick and make a dos bootable stick out of it, RUFUS should do the trick cause you can make a freedos stick out of it
    2) i'm gonna give you a link to my old 980ti nvflash maybe that works, i had somewhat of a similar issue like you with a Quadro FX 2800M for a P150HM - LINK just use the nvflash from in there
    3) hardcore method, first locate the vbios chip on your card, then program it directly with a programmer, i used the skypro + 1.8v adapter (my vbios chip required it) + a very good clip (essential due to the pin quality so to speak to keep contact) + some wire cables. I used these method back then when i modded my 1070 vbios on my P775DM3-G from stock 110W to 200W and yes everything still works just faster.

8. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS

Thats the thing, I can't get dos work worth doo doo on my 32gb sansa cruze stick, something about cynlider head is less then etc,etc,etc.

Not only that, I tried loading nvflash after dos was loaded, and it says: does not work with this program.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 at 11:34 PM