Portugal Opens 11-MW Solar Power Plant

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

See this is the future .. and every SimCity gamer will agree with me here : Portugal is doing its part to invest in renewable energy with the dedication of a new 11-megawatt MW solar plant. The plant...

More...

2. eue

eue Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti SC+
    small poor country giving example to the great ones...

3. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Poor? lol they get some of the biggest EU grants ever!

Besides, if every country had weather like Portugal they'd be far more likely to do something similar.

4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Portugal is be-u-ti-ful and smart.

morbias that brings up the house in nj usa that had to remove the solar panels because the neighbers did not like them.
    you could barely see them even,boy some people will never learn.
    if that was me who had to take the stuff down you know i'd buy every wind chime,barking dogs,and start a compost pile right buy these asholes house

so to end its great (solar power)but some people in states are such dickwads
    that it runs into opposition

5. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 6870 MSI TwinFrozer II
    I'm from Portugal.
    I don't consider this country a poor country... it has is economical problems but it's a nice country.
    Portugal is investing in renewable energy sources because we have to import most of our energy (i think it's about 70%... not sure ) and we don't want to invest in nuclear power and i'm bot sure why either... if it's to prevent any nuclear disaster or something we have Spain in our side we already a few plants... if there was a big problem with any power plant in Spain i'm sure it would affect Portugal.
    Portugal isn't accomplishing the quioto objectives (nice example USA is giving by not even signing this) and to do so we have to find a away to produce energy without poluting... and since we aren't going to use nuclear power we have to use renewable energy sources.
    The politicians said they want Portugal to have about 40/50% of our energy to be produced from renewable energy sources (we are already building the largest aeolic park in europe). There other countrys that have similar or better weather then Portugal and they still don't invest in renewable energy sources.

6. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC 6800XT 16G
    Hey The Chosen 1, I'm from Portugal too!! I agree with your post, it's true, in our "big" country, reneweable energies are one of the government major bets, there is alot to be done yet but this is a start! theres a new neiborhood project already finished, I dont remenber where dough, but it has rain waters storage, fotovoltaic and water heating panels and walls that are almost temperature mainting! who needs oil right portugal?? about your question on nuclear, the major reason why, the nuclear project was abandone, is the scale of the project, it wold be necessary an almost rearange of our entire electric grid for acomodation for the central, because the best areas for the plant would be very remote, plus the cost of the central per se (has would say Cervat Yerli) would be too big (this and ota would bring the budget down)! and we need to contain public waste, you can tell by the ministers new mercedes!
    The important is to defend our fragil enviroment!

think green everybody :bounce:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  7. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Olha, um bacanal de pts, yay!

Well, Portugal had to be good at something. Thank god it's our environmental policies.