Portal RTX DLC with ray tracing and DLSS to be released in December (for Free)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    mbk1969, chispy, AuerX and 1 other person like this.
  2. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I like the sound of this! Those two Portal games, Portal 1 & Portal 2 were really great, and it's been so long since I've played them that I've probably forgotten all the puzzle solutions, so it's likely to be quite a fresh experience again. I like the fact that the recommended specs for the ray tracing are quite high - points to the idea that they might have really gone to town in creating widespread & pervasive "high quality" raytracing. I wonder if they're gonna give the same treatment to Portal 2?

3. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Looking at system requirements table there are a few funny things there. First is that 3080 can only do 1080p 60fps (with DLSS). Second you need to use DLSS3 to get 4K 60 with a 4080. But as we know DLSS3 is intended for high refresh rate gaming. It feels atrocious at 60FPS with very high input lag. I tried DLSS3 at 60FPS and it felt like I was streaming the game over the cloud, maybe even worse than that. So what is Nvidia doing here lol?

At this point I don't ever see games using RT exclusively. 4090 can run Portal 2 native 4K at like 400FPS and with RT on it's 17 FPS. So 23x performance difference.

southamptonfc likes this.
  4. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    They originally said November, the promo video says November. And still waiting for CP2007 DLSS3 patch which was used to promote and review the 4090.

Anyway, really looking forward to playing Portal again.

[​IMG]

Netherwind likes this.

5. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    Yeah it's not free when you have to buy a 3080 in order to play at 60 fps.
    This game was a huge triumph even without rtx and it proves that good games gotta have an interesting gameplay gimmick.. they don't need realistic lighting.
    The rays are a lie!

Wault likes this.
  6. l0rdw00t

l0rdw00t Member

GPU:
    Vision 3080 OC
    Looks like a great excuse to play Portal again :D Does look good I have to say

7. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Hope they're doing both portal games!

8. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    It's looking like you'll need a 6090 to run Portal 2 RTX!

XenthorX and Kool64 like this.
  9. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    LOL

sigh....

So no free games are free? Because you have to buy a computer/console/phone to play them?

GoldenTiger likes this.
  10. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    I think he means everyone played and enjoyed this game 15 years ago and RT adds nothing to the game, definitely not something worth spending so much on a new GPU. I played a few of these RT conversions and after 20 mins you stop caring that it's RT. Often change in materials and lighting in these RT mods are ... questionable and even ruin original designers intent.

carnivore, Wault and illusiveman like this.

11. Locoyote

Locoyote Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    It will be interesting to see how this performs on average computers, like mine, I have a RX 6700 and a R5 5600. Quake 2 RTX runs at nearly 60fps so that's playable. Anyway, if it's unplayable it's still a good tech demo and it's free so who cares. I expect it will work with a bit of upscaling and maybe 30fps.

AuerX likes this.
  12. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    RT done now kinda reminds me of Tessellation done during its days, where nVidia got game dev to kowtow to them and go overboard, just to highlight how much better at Tessellation nVidia was against its AMD counterparts back then. I see a pattern here. But in this case, nVidia is deliberately making it so that RT support in the upcoming Portal DLC is such that it highlights DLSS3.0 over 'obsolete' DLSS2.

I know, it's just my take on the matter, but it seems like it to me. I mean, before RTX 4000 series, it seems that DLSS2.xx was good enough to get that extra boost in framerate with RT enabled, but now, it's just good enough for 1080P, 60fps......what a joke!

13. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    RT is an option, so is DLSS.
    I see all of this simply as new tech that can be played with if you have the gear.

If you don't have the gear, nothing has changed and players can go about gaming as usual.

Maddness and GoldenTiger like this.
  14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I'm making a note here:
    Huge success

On a more serious note, while I see where you're coming from, I don't entirely agree. I see Portal RTX more as a demo that can breathe new life into an old game without bringing the GPU to its knees the way a modern title with RTX does. However, where I do see validity in your point is that many people these days over-emphasize visuals as to whether a game is good or not.

Maddness, GoldenTiger and illusiveman like this.
  15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    For me, Portal was more a demo than a full game.

The concept is very cool but fades aways quickly and after that the puzzles are always the same.

The best part is the cake, because who doesn`t love cake?

16. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Demo for upcoming Half-Life 3 will come with RTX and VR/AR and then 500 USD GPUS will able to push it 4KRTRT Native @ 60FPS? In like 3 more years?

17. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Nothing in life is really free.

Anyway, I've never played Portal, might try it to see if its any good.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  18. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    I see it as Nvidia's advertisement for people to buy RTX 4080 and 4090 :D

19. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    This game runs on my mid range phone 60fps. Man RTX is reaching new heights!

20. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    Yeah it's a cool game. Worth playing if you like puzzle type games. Portal and portal 2 are all about solving puzzles with portals. I guess I'll play it again in a few years when sub 500$ GPUs will be capable of doing full path traced games at a decent framerate lol.

geogan likes this.