Portable version for game developer intergration?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by frametimedev, Oct 28, 2019.

1. frametimedev

frametimedev Guest

GPU:
    rx570
    I have read the installers Eula, and understand that RTSS cannot be distributed except from official website or with permission, but seeing as not everyone has the desire to setup MSI AB for what should be essential information for every game, here is what i am proposing as a game integration OSD for FPS and the more critically important frametime:

-prompt user to opt in to download portable version from official website if they are not already using MSI AB etc.
    - in-game menu option to enable/disable OSD
    - pre-configured RTSS profile options so users do not have to set anything up
    - start/exit RTSS from game engine as a CMD batch file

I know this is possible, as I have tested the following:
    -extract files from RTSS setup with 7zip
    -delete all files used for video record features (reducing package to only 2.5mb: 6 folders, 2 exes, 4 dlls & 1 dat)
    -RTSS will run standalone without being installed if either RTSS is not installed on PC or same version of RTSS is installed. If older/newer version of RTSS is installed it will give "reboot to complete installation" error, but after reboot it has same error and only installed version works.

Indies like me who may only make a few $1000 after years of work is likely a waste of time, but maybe this can make RTSS more user friendly, instead of just for power users? As a tech savvy person myself i found initial setup of MSI AB for a simple OSD to be much more involved than i thought.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Initial setup of MSI AB for a simple OSD takes a few _seconds_.

3. frametimedev

frametimedev Guest

GPU:
    rx570
    Maybe for power users, but the OSD requires "hardware control and monitoring" to be on, which in turn enables overclocking features, which can be risky and intimidating for some casual PC gamers and novices.

2nd, they must enable frametime monitoring [assuming they even know what that is, many don't unfortunately] from a list of 30+ sensors.

I am thinking along the lines of FRAPS, where it just installs and works right out of the box but with added frametime stats in realtime, as just showing FPS onscreen is next to useless - i have seen games seemingly run at 60fps but getting 67ms frametime which means it's basically running at 15fps.

Anyway, I'll take that as a "no" for a portable version, but many thanks Unwinder for making these stats available to all, it is invaluable to devs and gamers, and i hope MSI pays you well for your efforts!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019