Poor Video Playback Performance...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Lozeritis, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Lozeritis

Lozeritis Member Guru

GPU:
    (2x) ATI 4870 1GB XFire
    Recently I've redone my system.

I've noticed that the playback performance of my video is pretty damn bad lol.

Been' testing with those 1080p quicktime movie trailers. Different players and settings have done nothing to really improve things. I refuse to use the evil "official" quicktime player hehe, so I have been using real alternitive.

Any tips? Do I really have to break down and use the "real" quicktime player?

P.S. I'm using 90 series drivers, if that makes a difference.

2. Homeless

Homeless Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275
    I use quicktime alternative and media player classic for 1080p traliers and they run fine

3. Lozeritis

Lozeritis Member Guru

GPU:
    (2x) ATI 4870 1GB XFire
    Just tried the "real" quicktime player, no dice. I still get frame rate slowdowns etc.

This is very frustrating lol.

4. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I too am trying to find a worth while solution...since I dont know how to enable windows media player 10 to start using hardware accleration....through purevideo....

But other then being unsucessful with working a solution to the loads of unsolved purevideo enabling issues...

I use VLC,ZoomPlayer Pro,BS Player...
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc/
    To download BS Player
    http://www.filehippo.com/search?q=BS+player

VLC and BS Player seem to run things as best a normal player can...
    Dont download the latest crap ware version of BS player being circulated...get the standard old version which the link supports..
    BS is lighter and does a great Job with keeping things to sync...

I personally like BS player but it quite doesn't play that many formats compaired to VLC...

EDIT: Tweak your ram timings a tad bit more if possible through A64 tweaker (incase if you haven't already) or do it through your bios if you already have all the timings listed in A64 tweaker..it helped my HD playback performance..
    http://download.it168.com/pages/driver60583.shtml
    or from here
    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89827

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006

5. Lozeritis

Lozeritis Member Guru

GPU:
    (2x) ATI 4870 1GB XFire
    Yes but can you really make purevideo render while playing quicktime movies?

*shrug*

Wow, tried several things and no luck. Cannot get 1080p content to play smoothly =/
    Is it possible to convert quicktime HD to mpeg2 hehe. I can dream can't I! =P

6. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I honestly dont know...

EDIT: Why dont you try playing Quicktime HD movies through BSplayer or VLC with process priority set to high through VLC ?

I had horrible HD performance with my system....and now I can run two dual screen with out much jitter...
    You'll find a way....one way or another...

btw what card are you currently using..

7. Lozeritis

Lozeritis Member Guru

GPU:
    (2x) ATI 4870 1GB XFire
    I tried that VLC + Increased priority business. It seemed to work better-ish.

Instead of bogging frame rates, it plays smoothly for large spurts then drops a short and sweet frame rate bomb lol.

Six of one, half-dozen of another. :frown:

As for my card, 7800GTX. I might try different video card drivers...

8. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    lol...

Try setting the priority by going through VLC's -Preference/Advanced Settings/ then tick mark 'Increase priority of the process'
    instead of selecting High etc...

Tryied playing apocalypto h1080p through Quicktime 7 and everything was choppy from the start..

Tried doing the same with VLC which actully has better quality and everything was smooth from start to finish..

Thats a huge difference...for me..

If you try decreasing background services , it could help...

btw are you running your CPU @ stock speeds or is it overclocked...

EDIT: did you give A64 tweaker a go....If you haven't then your still a step behind... :)

9. TheGriffin

TheGriffin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    You need to use NERO ShowTime that comes with the recent version of Nero 7, the first builds dont support PureVideo but the recent ones do.

I know what you mean, but Nero worked with nVidia to deliver this.

10. Lozeritis

Lozeritis Member Guru

GPU:
    (2x) ATI 4870 1GB XFire
    Took a gander at the A64 dealy. Seemed pretty daunting; as I usually dont dabble in that sort of thing. I'll have to look up a guide im sure.

11. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TheGriffin

thanks for the tip...will try Nero...then again thanks alot..

Lozeritis

Get into it for the sake of your HD playback...trust me its worth the effort..
    Its not too hard to get use to...

Just know what your ram is capable of doing and then push it from then onwards .....
    If you push a particular timing beyond your rams limits then it'll either crash windows or cause a reboot....which is totally normal for going through such settings...
    Remeber this isn't an overclocking software its simply a tweak tool....which Overclockers even get to use...
    Even if you dont want to push your ram further then its origincal spces you can atleast have it set manually to its company specs..
    Once your through such settings have your ram checked for stability through stress testing tools such as 'memtest' or 'Superpi' just for fun :D

I'm not making this up , it will help provide you with a smoother PC which includes smoother HD playback !!
    and also try Nero since that has Nvidia's support as 'TheGriffin' mentioned.......

12. Lozeritis

Lozeritis Member Guru

GPU:
    (2x) ATI 4870 1GB XFire
    Ok I've heard of that before. But what all can it play? We're talking .mov files here...

EDIT: FYI... Windows Media Video HD plays like a champ, smooth as butter. There is something about quicktime HD that makes it run like arse =/

13. vEpaR

vEpaR Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 8800GT
    most of the hd trailers in quicktime are actualy mp4. so you can install newest powerdvd7 (i think the trial will be enough) then setup media player classic to use cyberlink h.264 decoder

then just change the filename from *.mov to *.mp4 and open it with media player classic. it should play just fine.

you can also enable ffdshow to decode aac audio.

btw. powerdvd7 itself also will be able to play that just fine.

14. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    i downloaded media player 11 and its kinda slow, is it because of my PC or is it because its still a beta version?

15. TheGriffin

TheGriffin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Nero Showtime does support any format you give it, as long as you have the codec installed.

16. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    cv_salise : I haven't tried windows media player 11...but If the previous version played things better then its probably because it's beta...but if media player 10 plays things the same , it sould be considered as a general media player issue....

Try enabling hardware decoding in mediaplayer 11 , since I've herd it does wonders....dont ask me how because I too am having a hard time trying to find ways of enabling it....

But I'm sure the final version will play things better espically HD content..

17. Lozeritis

Lozeritis Member Guru

GPU:
    (2x) ATI 4870 1GB XFire
    Hey guys. Did some testing at work today (I work in consumer electronics, so I had rows and rows of differently geared PC's at hand) and got interesting results.

Put simply, it's all about the dual cores.

In my testing, it was shown time and time again that the dual cores (Intel and AMD alike) were able to play 1080p quicktime trailers smooth as silk. Any and all single cores wept blood as they sputtered and failed to render at par. It didn't matter what it was, the trend was 100% solid. I ran the trailers on several AMD 3500/3800/4000+ systems (solo core), all of which chopped like all hell. I turned right around and ran the trailers on the lowest-end Intel Centrino Duo's and it was smooth as silk (friggin mobile chips people, laptops!). From there, I tossed it on the full range of AMD x2's (3800 to 4400). All of which ran nice and smooth, no issues at all. And of course I tested the big ol' Intel Pentium D's -- nice and silky, as one would suspect.

And we are talking about systems that are at factory defaults, so it's a pretty even playing field.

I also talked to a fellow I work with that is a bit of a video buff. After he told me that I could have saved a lot of time and effort by simply asking him first (lol) -- he confirmed my findings. He also told me that the solutions available for single cores almost always involve lowering bitrate/dropping frames/etc. He said something about CoreAVC codecs and crap like that, as examples of such things.

So for me, this is pretty well figured out.

P.S. I used nothing more than Quicktime Alternative and Windows Media Player Classic in my testing. And again, on factory machines that in large part had integrated video.

18. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah I had that bit in my mind too but forget to mention it , Since thats the prime reason why apple computer run Quicktime movies the proper way from the start...

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    When using QT alternative you have to use Media Player Classic, otherwise video will stutter (i know it does in WMP).

20. Lozeritis

Lozeritis Member Guru

GPU:
    (2x) ATI 4870 1GB XFire
    Best single core performance I've gotten has been with VLC. Worst has been with WMPC lol.

Needless to say though, get a dual core.