Poor performance with HD4870X2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Sinbadtheporter, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Sinbadtheporter

Sinbadtheporter Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870X2 2GB DDR5
    Hi guys,

I just bought a PC it's about 2 months old now. I'll give the specs right away:

I7 920 (not overclocked)
    GFX: Sapphire 4870X2 2GB DDR5 (not overclocked)
    PSU: Coolermaster Real power m850 (850watt)
    MB : Asus P6T-SE X48
    Ram: 3 Modules (Triple channel set) OCZ 6GB + 3 Modules (Triple channel set) GEIL 6GB

So I installed a couple of games to test the system, but i noticed really low frame rates.

Crysis Warhead: Everything maxed out and at a resolution of 1680 x 1050, i get around 12 / 15 fps (I dont know if this is normal or not)

Need for Speed Undercover: Everything maxed out at a resolution of 1920 x 1080 I get around 19 / 35 fps.

Mass Effect: Everything maxed out and at a resolution of 1920 x 1080 i get around 10 fps.

Now I already re-installed windows, and Deleted the drivers with driversweeper and re-installed the latest drivers, i also updated the bios, but I dont see any gain in performance. I think I really should get more FPS out of my computer.

Can anybody help me out here ? Could it be that the PSU isn't delivering the watt the video card needs?

Thanks in advance

2. fasteddy

fasteddy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    Probably need to overclock that cpu... be a waste not too really! :)

Welcome to Guru3D too...

NFS Undercover is really poorly coded.... nothing much can improve performance on that.

3. Sinbadtheporter

Sinbadtheporter Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870X2 2GB DDR5
    Thanks for the quick reply :)
    So you think the stock speed of the 920 is the problem ?
    When I look at framerate charts of mass effect, people with the same setup get arround 60 fps with mass effect while i get around 12 :wanker:

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    NFS Most Wanted was pretty buggy on release, patch fixed some problems and maxed at 1920x1080 i get an average of 40-50fps.
    Mass Effect i got about 40-50fps too, can't remember exactly as was while ago, but wouldn't of played if it went much lower.

Crysis Warhead only tryed on Gamer, but at 1920x1080 2xAA, around 25-35 average.

So something is definetly not right, and it wont be the I7, when i got the above results at similar resolutions, and with my E6750 at stock speed.

If you done a windows re-install and driver clean and re-install, then i'm thinking something is up with the card, have you any other video cards around you could use or ones you could borrow to test.

5. Sinbadtheporter

Sinbadtheporter Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870X2 2GB DDR5
    I do have a HD3870, but what do you mean by test, what should I test them on, check the fps on the games?
    Could it be that the motherboard isn't give the right amount of watt to the videocard or something like that?

EDIT:
    This is really weird, I re-installed the drivers just to double check, and Mass Effect seems to play perfectly fine right now, i get about 62 frames now.
    But NFS Undercover is still stuck at 12/20 fps.:wanker:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  6. northy84

northy84 Master Guru

GPU:
    sapphire 6970 stock atm
    i cant say for sure but best sudgestion i can come up with is make sure you have newest patches for all your games and newest drivers for your motherboard chipset.

fyi i have ASUS 4890 TOP with phenom 940 @3500MHz, "only" 4GB of ddr2@ 1040 and in crysis i get 20 - 50 fps lots of foliage shooting waterfalls (near 30 minutes into the game). all details are on high with 2xAA @1680x1050 res. motion blur set to custom slider left (no motion blur).

ur video card might be running in single mode or you might not be abel to run "very high" setting .. try dropping down to "high" there is not a lot of graphic detail change (to my eye that is) plus i would rather have playable frame rates. imo

7. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Providing you have hooked everything up ok hardware wise, then there is no reason there wouldn't be enough power for the card, unless the PSU isn't hitting anywhere near what its supposed to, but wont do any harm to maybe reset the boards bios to default values.

Never owned a HD3870, but heard it was similar to 8800GT, so even with the older card and the I7, i'd expect you to get more 10fps in Mass Effect.
    Plus video cards are not too much hassle to swap over, and will at least give you a start to finding out where the problem lies

8. Sinbadtheporter

Sinbadtheporter Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870X2 2GB DDR5
    I'll try to switch the videocards as soon as i can, but isn't there something else I can check in the meanwhile? I dont think it's a hardware issue too be honest since Mass Effect started running good after the re-install of the driver(I could be completly wrong though). But the other games still have crappy fps. I tested Mirror's Edge too, maxed out, and at the very start it gives me about 25 fps max.

9. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Well could see if you have all the latest patches for the games, and that you dont have the driver forcing high levels of AA.
    Maybe check you have the latest version of DirectX , or even try Windows7.
    Mirrors Edge usually runs better on Nvidia cards, but not by that amount, and i get 60fps for most of the time, so something definetly up.

Possibly try 3D Mark or Vantage, and compare you CPU and GPU scores with people with similar hardware, might give you a clue to where the problem could be.

10. Sinbadtheporter

Sinbadtheporter Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870X2 2GB DDR5
    Turned of the AA settings in Catalyst Control Center, Mirrors Edge gained like 10 fps more, getting up to 35fps, but still mostly at 25fps. Tried Need for Speed too, This time it ran arround 40/50 fps, this is really frustrating. Maybe the CCC settings are messing up the fps in some games (or shoudn't that be a problem), do you have any tips on setting up the settings in CCC ?

11. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Those are extremely low frames you are getting, for your system.

And this
    could be the problem. 2 Different triple channel set's on same board ? never do that.

12. Sinbadtheporter

Sinbadtheporter Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870X2 2GB DDR5
    I deleted one of the sets, and fired up a game, and still the same frame rates.
    This is really getting annoying, i just want to toss the whole thing out of the window

13. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Check if maybe PCI-express isn't stuck at something lower then x16 2.0
    Check if your card isn't maybe stuck in 2D clocks even in 3D.

14. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If you gained some frames from changing the CCC settings, then possibly a good place to start, i honestly couldn't recommend anything as i've not used an ATI card in 18months and have forgot, but this guide may, or may not be of any use.
    http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html

I still recommend trying out some Benchmarking stuff so you can have a look at what part of your system is struggling when it shouldnt be.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Is this guy for real?

16. Sinbadtheporter

Sinbadtheporter Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870X2 2GB DDR5
    I Played around with the settings in CCC, and i'm getting a almost constant 62 fps with Mirror's Edge. Could changing the settings in CCC effect the fps so much ?

How do I check those 2D and 3D clocks ?

what ? what did I do ?

17. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Well yes, as the settings in CCC and the ingame options for AF, AA, etc... will conflict, though by defaut they shouldn't be that bad, but i have no idea what the state of ATI's drivers are these days.

62fps is the max you can get on Mirrors Edge as its capped, think its something to do with Unreal Engine3, remember Gears Of War had the same thing.
    So your definetly heading in the right direction.

I doubt your clock speeds are in 2D settings, but your speed should be in CCC somewhere.

18. Sinbadtheporter

Sinbadtheporter Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870X2 2GB DDR5
    I Think the problem was with CCC, but I'll use some benchmarking programs and change the videocard just to be safe.
    Crysis Warhead runs arround 30/35fps right now, guess that's normal.
    I'll try to play arround with the settings a little bit more to see what really kills the performance.

Thanks everyone.

19. Camster

Camster Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4890 OC
    Download GPU-Z to see your if your PCIe is 16x. http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Download http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/ & run it in a window with ATI Overdrive in CCC open. You should see your GPU speed go from say 24o up to 750 or whatever your card runs at. My 4890 runs 240 in 2d & 901 in 3d as its a factory overclocked Sapphire.

20. lenne

lenne Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 GTX Gainward
    how did u "delete" one set ?