Poor performance with Crossfire in COD Black ops

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by blesner, Nov 9, 2010.

1. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    The Good news is that Xfire is supported
    The Bad news is I am getting shocking microstutter with Xfire enabled

Anyone else having this problem ?

2. Pey

Pey Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX @ SLI
    I´m getting 2-3 second freezes. It´s really annoying.

3. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    How is performance with single gpu then, if its good, just disable xfire until it gets fixed?

Edit: If you are using the p2p crack that just been released, it also could be the crack!? If the cracker doesnt know what he is doing, he could be taking shortcuts that sure makes the game start, but not working as it should?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  4. Pey

Pey Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX @ SLI
    Performance is great with one gpu, it´s a game problem.

5. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    I'm getting random freezes for 3 - 5 seconds with a single 5850, otherwise the performance is perfect. It seems to be a common issue, if anyone finds a fix let us know.

6. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    its a problem with the game. its happening for everyone, in singleplayer and multiplayer.

gpu load isnt high enough for it to be caused by the gpu.

strangely enough, the game seems to put a lot of stress on the CPU. its pushing all 6 cores to 40-60% load on my setup, but its nice to know it can take advantage of hexacores.

part of it may also be because theres no crossfire profile for it yet.

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I played the single player for an hour last night, the Zombie min-game and a couple of practice combat rounds and only noticed some unusually low framerate dips to 40 fps in a few places otherwise the game ran at 60 fps (v-synced) for me and was perfectly playable throughout. Considering that Modern Warfare 2 ran at 200+ fps I'd say that there is no CrossFireX profile for this game and what I'm seeing is the usual negative scaling that you get with unsupported games and multi-GPUs. I suspect that if I run the game on one GPU I'll get a constant 60 fps. I have not enabled triple buffering yet though.

I didn't have any freezes either although the videos suffered from some stuttering at times which affected the audio too but the gameplay was absolutely fine.

I'm using the 10.10d Hotfix dirvers with the 4th November 2010 Catalyst Application Profile.

Since Modern Warfare 2 has a CFX profile it may be possible to use RadeoPro to create a custom CFX profile referencing the CoDMW2 executable and force that for Black Ops. Haven't tried it yet though.

8. xXx_Fess_xXx

xXx_Fess_xXx Member

GPU:
    Hd5850
    not driver problem cuz SP works fine

9. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    My 5850 is spiking to 100% usage while in the menu and when the screen freezes my FPS drops to like 2 then goes straight back up. It's a common issue so I hope it's fixed today :/

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Yes just finished the single player... It is the best COD single player ever imo.

Performance here on a single GTX480 could be better, most missions are between 80 - 91fps (91 being the lock they put on it).

In some missions I getting really stuttery fps for a few seconds in certain places, but I think this is either the game loading the next scene, a driver bug, or a steam bug. As I get slow downs when SHIFT+TAB to bring up chat windows in steam whilst in game, then when I re-enter the game my fps is at 25fps and then goes back up to 91fps.

Otherwise, its a great cod game, took me 6 hours on regular mode. Story is great (FINALLY!) its well put together, and it epic from start to finish :D

Zombie mode is hilarious (loving the new characters lol)

Going to give MP a try now :D

11. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    for those of you who are having issues. go into steam/common/call of duty black ops/players and edit the config.cfg and config_mp.cfg

look for the following strings

seta r_multiGpu
    seta r_multithreaded_device

if you have multigpu, set the number after multigpu to 1 (although for some reason, its set to this by default, change it back to 0 if you only have one card)

if you have a multicore cpu (who doesnt in this day and age), set the number after multithreaded_device to 1 (god knows why it was disabled to begin with).

in my case, setting the multigpu to 0 (i sold one of my 5850s a while ago so im not running crossfire) and multithreaded to 1 reduced the amount of 'freezes' dramatically. havent had any freezes in a while.

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    So isn't Black Ops multi-threaded then? I find that hard to believe...

13. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    Those 2 commands also reduced my freezing, it rarely happens now.

14. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    it is multithreaded, but for some reason its not enabled by default which is quite unusual in this day and age. i was expecting it to have something like the older cods where it would analyse your hardware and enable what needs to be enabled, but apparently not.

15. nexus_711

nexus_711 Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1080 Twin X2
    Thanks Sever for tip off!

16. Vehicon

Vehicon Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 970
    Tip didnt work for me, but thanks for sharing the info. Still horrible performance in MP ONLY. SP and Zombies works great.

17. nexus_711

nexus_711 Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1080 Twin X2
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  18. Enmity

Enmity Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FE SLI
    theres a 91 fps frame limit? weird, i've enabled vsync ingame only - but it caps to 120fps - i have rare slowdowns to 80ish but it doesn't seem like the frames are that high - seems more like 40fps. Not sure why its vsyncing to 120fps since my monitor is only 60hz - Might try the trick sever posted later and force vsync in radeonpro to see if it syncs at 60 - that should yeild better results for me i think.

19. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    there are two config files. one is specific for multiplayer. you need to edit both.

i think theres a console command you can do to change the framerate cap. mine's stuck at 90fps, which is pretty decent since im only using a single gpu now XD

20. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I have great performance with xfire in this game?! 60fps steady!