Poor performance 4850

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by atomicskis5, Jul 24, 2008.

1. atomicskis5

atomicskis5 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi 4850
    Not lookin that cheap, and the good thing is i can swap out a q6600 from my dads comp, cuz he doesnt need a quad core for browsing the internet and playin spider solitaire, and then i can jus buy a decent comp, like the 1 u mentioned, and i was looking at an asrock p45 wifi for 130 from zipzoomfly(out at newegg) which did extremely well in reviews, supports ddr3, and is crossfire. Then looking to pick up 4 gig gskill ddr2 100 for 80. Any opinions?

2. abtomat74

abtomat74 Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    No dude, you need a C2D :)

As for your B-day upgrade...Intel has some goodies coming out in 2-3 months I think(new CPU's).

I read an article a couple weeks ago comparing the difference between 2, 4, and 8GB system ram. here:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/07/08/is-more-memory-better/5

Look what 8GB does for Crysis minimum fps, 50% more than having 4GB...Crysis apparently loves ram if that article is correct. Make sure you have at least 4GB for your b-day build.

I played through in 1280x1024, 0xAA, 8xAF with the system in my stats(only 2GB then). With the exception of the snow level, I thought it played fine...certainly well enough to NOT justify spending the additional $350-500 a new mobo, ram, and CPU would have cost! The longer that Opty holds you, the better the replacement CPU will be.

If you can hold out until Intels new CPU's...you'll have something better than a C2D and we'll have the same guys coming in saying you can't use X video card without one, which you will now have :)