Poor Ethics In The Gaming Industry

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by blesner, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Good stuff with the refund, maybe if more people complain this will be standard practice.
    I miss when retail games came out and over time gradually got reduced, nowadays the price drops massively then shoots back up, punishing early adopters while also encouraging panic buying.

Not sure I consider it immoral though, but since this is common, particularly with Steam it means I haven't bought a full price game in over a year, and probably won't ever again.

2. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690

Reducing the price of a game while it is still on pre-order, punishing the “good Samaritans” that pre-ordered early is immoral in my opinion. If it was for example, two weeks after release I would understand but in this case, it borderline theft.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    50% off :p THey hate you, Bles :p

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I missed the other reply to this, but jeez, don't fuel it lol.

As to the immoral thing, still not convinced it's anything more than a business strategy when a game isn't selling well.

On that subject, is the game worth getting?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    :D

MP seems to be broken just like MK 9. I'd say no.

6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Was the same for test drive one the online stuff was crammed full of hack times, eden nor atari ever cared for all our posting about issues <------lifetime atari eu ban out of td 1.

The little i played of the second one the cars felt gawd awful to me were td 1 had a nice mix of arcade and sim leaning towards arcade, td2 the few cars i drove felt floaty and just plain bad.

Now rome 2 there is a good one, after ca saying the made games for meta critic, and seems to remove controls out of rome 2 so it would fit on the steam controller, we got a severely dumbed down broken, because they ripped stuff out of the game engine it seems, game that all these months later is still not in a working enjoyable state, yet they have the utter gall to charge for dlc.

Not shocking after empire, it was a mess at launch, was never properly or completely fixed in many ways, But that game at lest brought new stuff to the total war series, were rome 2 they seemed to do everything they could to streamline and dumb it down in the process and what game did they show off in demos? rome 2 does not look or play like the game they demoed.

But ca has itself done alot of this over the years, it is hard to lay the blame all on sega, rome 2 should have been the 3rd engine in the game engine that brought us empire, napoleon and shogun and all its expansions. It should have been the most solid and complete of the series after all these games under their belt.

But instead we got arguably the worst release of the series with CA nor sega showing much concern.

There was no excuse for rome 2 to be as bad as it is, none whatsoever if it was ca gutting content for a expansion pack sale, or sega rushing it out to beat a holiday rush ps4 xbone launch.

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Yep, the strategy from big name studios now is just to underpay your developers and set up a microtransaction farm/DLC machine to increase profits. It's a joke. Thankfully the indie scene is thriving and there's lots of fun to be had if you look for it.

8. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Well no it is not. It got a 1.5 gig update which fixed the empty rooms issue and there are many people playing online.

Have no idea about the net code though.

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That patch came out at about the same time I posted :p

10. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    LOL.

The game is worth it at that price IMO even without MP. Seriously loads to do in SP.

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
  12. exquisitev

exquisitev Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 WINDFORCE OC
    It's about the greed of the publisher. If the publisher sees the sells slowing, he'll say to Valve (go x% off). And they do just that because Valve takes a cut so more sales, more money for Valve and the publisher.