1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

polygon tearing and "spikes""spears"

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by V_LESTAT, Dec 31, 2003.

1. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    arrrgg i typed out a nice thread of a problem i am having and now its gone ggrrr! man i dont even wanna type it again.

ok since cat 3.9's new games,, mostly deus ex and LoK Defiance, (that i have noticed) have a big friggin problem.

the game no matter what viewpoint or what your doing ingame will have LOSTS of polygon glitching and tearing and disappearing, and also the most annoying friggin part is that the game will start showing polygon spikes or spears. it looks like a part of the screen or character has a big elongated spear or spike growing out of them.

i know ive seen people talk about this problem from time to time, but dont know how to fix mine.

ignore my PC specs to the side, in the area of overclocking,, all my overclocking is gone, for now, everything is default. even the video card.

my card runs nice and cool with the extra 6000rpm fan on the back side and i also have the copper heatsink/fan and ram sinks.

ill post back if more games do this,, i dont think beyond good and evil does but ill check again.

tried 3.9 and cat 3,10 and still the same. im pretty sure the DNA 3.9's didnt do it, but cant recall.

if anyone has any thoughts,, throw them by me,, im pissed at my rig right now and will try something logical.

2. Elink7

Elink7 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 9800 GT
    Well a couple of weeks ago I started experiencing problems with my 9700pro with what I call video corruption on a non o/c card. This is what I did to fix it, bear with me this makes no sense, but it worked. I had to reseat the card in the agp slot and all of my problems went away. What makes no sense is that my pc has been stationary for the last 8 months. Just a suggestion.

3. NIB

NIB Master Guru

Hm. Did this problem started to happen suddenly, or it happened from the start but only on specific games? Try upping agp voltage +0.1 or so. My guess that either you have a bad memory and that you should rma it. Or cool it better.

4. Monrad

Monrad Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro =)))
    Check that your memory is OK with memtest86. Sometimes, those crazy polygons are memory's fault. I used to have those problems and I thought it was because of the video card, but I was wrong. My system memory was not working properly due to incompatibility with my P4P800.

Good Luck

5. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    it started all of the sudden.
    i thought it was the overclocking but never has the system went over 50 degrees even under heavy use. and it never locked. same with vifeo related stuff. no locks.

but now that i think of it, i have been having problems with random games causing the video to actually LOCK,, now the system wont lock,, just the video.
    its like the video locked or failed, but windows has not refreshed the screen so the last thing i have is whatever was on screen and usually this is in the game prior to the main menu,, if my memory is correct. like start the game and POP it locks,, the screen freezes, but windows is still running.
    sometimes i can mess around with alt tab and alt f4 and make the desktop come up,, but most of the tim not,, i have to do a hot shut down.
    i can start the game again and its fine.
    its random when it does it,, and what game it does it too.

the voltage.. when i had the system overclocked,, prior to this, the agp voltage was 1.6. its now at 1.5 i believe ill check when i shut down to reseat the card.

other than that it started RIGHT after installing drivers, i just might have to go back to CAT 3.7 as those i think ran really well for me.
    ill give those things a try fellas thanks for the input

6. tom9676

tom9676 Guest

Well I had the exact same problem I called it ripping textures I have a MortherBoard P4P800 Deluxe by Asus and a ATI 9800 pro. It seems to be a memory problem as I have dual channel memory and all I did was change the slots for the 2 sticks and it solved the problem 99%. I get ocassional tears but nothing like it used to be and it seems to only occur when I played opengl games. On tha Asus p4P800 I had the memory in the 2 blue slots so I removed them and installed them to the 2 black slots and problem solved

Hope this Helps

7. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    cool ill give it a try