Poll: Will anyone move on to Skylake / Kaby Lake / Cannonlake?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by TheF34RChannel, Jul 1, 2015.

1. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    Poll type of thread without an actual poll lol that I saw elsewhere which led to some interesting discussions, as long as the answers are motivated. I thought maybe we could give it a go.

I came on here with upgrade plans but currently have none for the CPU and/or motherboard. I would only move to the first available CPU if my motherboard or CPU gives out. The latter is fine, the former its USB controller is getting a bit iffy very recently.

Yes? No? Maybe?

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Depending on what Kaby lake brings I might upgrade then but most likely after Cannonlake.

3. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Why make a poll thread without the poll? Seems pointless....

As far as upgrades, I'll look to see what the "Tock" in Intels Tick-Tock brings after Cannonlake. Slightly more refined, higher clocks, better prices, etc. Whatever they call the chips after Cannonlake will most likely be my upgrade.

4. TheF34RChannel

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    Because my phone is horrible with this forum.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Seeing how Sandy is still keeping up with the big boys i dont see a reason to upgrade. I was hoping i'll be moving to Skylake but meh, its not the time yet.

[​IMG]

6. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Yeah I am selling my apartment right now so I should make an okay profit. So of course I want to buy new gear while I have some disposable cash. BUT there just really isn't any where to go...
    My 2600K is still kicking but and even my 7970 is doing alright still.

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Leave the CPU upgrade the GPU. A fury X or 980Ti would be a huge upgrade for you.

I will be staying with my 2600K for a while longer it seems.

8. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Yeah I am rather curious about the "non-X" Fury and what it will bring to the table.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Similiar performance for 100$ less? Just like 290 did vs 290X, hehe... ;)

Let's hope.

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Late this fall or winter i must upgrade.
    Low power draw,maybe a bit more performance and able to run open source .
    Will see,i am not in a hurry to upgrade.

11. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    no,Sandy Bridge and upwards only upgrade if there is a super awesome new features on Z100 and forwards motherboards, as those CPU are totally legendary.

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    X58 is still rocking it for gaming so the for me its a No. Dont need to with what i have atm, i have too much power cpu wise for 2015

13. TheF34RChannel

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    Maybe Cannonlake - that is if AMD forces Intel to get out of the lazy chair by releasing a competative CPU. Nice graph! Shows how pointless generation after generation is for gaming. Also shows how 4 core parts fare against 6-8 core parts and how pointless they are in gaming, well, at least in this game anyway. Here and there I hear people waiting for more than 4 core parts but I'm not sure why; for a workstation (rendering, editing etc.) rig, sure! For a gaming system, no point to go for more cores and lower clocks than 4 core chips - which clearly have the upper hand in almost all game titles (until more cores can be utilized in games which I believe is far off).

I can see that making sense, sure. More (up to date) SSD features could be nice as compared to my current board, for example, and I imagine the chipset being that much better. Also lower power draw could be a reason to consider such a purchase, however it won't be much on a yearly basis.

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I upgraded from i7 920 so this 4770k has a good 4 years at least before I think about moving on.

15. TheF34RChannel

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    Excellent CPU you've got there, does it overclock well? Well, the 4 year old bit got me thinking about moving on when I first came on here; my combo just feels ancient ha ha! However, if it makes little to no difference (unless there're some chipset features on the board I'm after or mine simply dies), there's little point in moving on.

16. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I have seen no reason to upgrade but my mobo is getting a little flaky so might look at ebay to get another for this chip.

17. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Its an OK overclocker. It's enough for me though. I usually have it running at 4.2ghz. I see people getting it up to 4.7 and higher but what I have it set for is good enough. Maybe when I finally upgrade my GPU I'll try to push it higher.

18. Adil0n

Adil0n Active Member

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
    My quad core has served me well and I've never been happier than the first day I hold my GTX 470, that still it's alive and kicking, but not for the newest games on 1080p, so for me it's a yes, I'll upgrade to Skylake and then I'll probably wait for next year to get a new card, so I can get out the most from DX12

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Haswell isnt really a good overclocker (refresh is another story) but at average 4.2Ghz sounds about right. Some people have been lucky (like Tj) but 4.7Ghz on those CPU's is very rare. My friend is using 4670k at 4.2Ghz also, CPU just cant go higher before it gets to hot.

I mean i would rather use my 2500k at 4.8Ghz than 4670k at 4.2Ghz and still stay cooler than his. Sandy is a beast.

20. TheF34RChannel

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    Well now with Kaby Lake delayed, and Cannonlake probably as well, this thread is useless and I could better ask who's going to upgrade their motherboard, since that's where the only potential will lie, it seems.