Poll: Turing 4K+ Users: What is your preferred Scaling method?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by rewt, Jan 23, 2020.

?

Turing 4K+ Users: What is your preferred Scaling method?

1. Integer Scaling

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Other GPU Scaling

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Display Scaling

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. No Scaling

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. I prefer to game at my native resolution even if it requires lowering the graphics settings

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    Hi guys and gals. If you own a Turing GPU and a 4K+ display, please fill out my poll. Thanks!

In other words, which scaling method do you happen to use most often?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  2. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra
    Integer for competitive FPS games with low settings, normal GPU scaling for HDR games.
    Didn't vote because I mix and match.

3. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    Thanks Spets, I thought about making it multiple-choice, but I'm not sure that will get me the results I am looking for. I suppose I should ask which scaling method you happen to use most often.

4. Dan Longman

Dan Longman Member

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    Most of the time I am able to play at native 4k to get 60 changing a few of the high demanding settings (Shadows/Vol Lighting/etc) down from ultra to high without affecting PQ much, other times, I will usually run at a 90% resolution scale using GPU scaling, if there isn't internal scaling as I prefer that to keep the hud at native 4k.
    In the cases where games don't run great I will drop the res scale down lower.

If it's a game that is stuck at max 1080p for some reason or another, I use integer scaling.

5. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    I try to run native 4k. When i try to run under image gets to fuzzy for my taste in some games. Im still noob when it comes to upscaling, see some vite other gpu scaling. What and how? Is there a guide or something thats usefull?

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Native res always best for me.

7. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I use None as it has the lowest input lag.

8. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Zotac AMP!
    Have you got some numbers for this? Very interested.

9. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    No but I test how my mouse behaves after switching different modes. None has the best, followed by Display. GPU adds a bit of delay...very small.

10. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    1660 - 2130/10ghz
    A conventional flat panel display (can't say for sure about g-sync module displays) works with the least input delay when it's being fed a video signal with it's native video timings.

If you use display scaling (which only shows resolutions from what the display's EDID provides) in the Nvidia control panel, choosing any resolution from the list will send that exact resolution to the display. The display then handles how to stretch the image. Any image sizing like integer, aspect ratio, fullscreen, or no scaling, is disregarded with this setting.

If you choose GPU scaling, choosing any resolution from the list will send the specified resolution in a native resolution frame to your display. The graphics card then handles how to stretch the smaller resolution inside the native resolution frame, depending on what image-sizing option you chose (integer, aspect ratio, fullscreen, or no scaling).

So it's either GPU scaling that always provides a native resolution image (setting up a good start for reducing delay at any resolution), but possibly worse upscaling quality than display scaling, or display scaling that may provide better upscaling quality, but only provides low input delay if you specifically choose the native resolution of your display (which for old applications may not be possible).

Also, any custom-made resolutions/timings will automatically use GPU scaling as the display has no information on them in it's EDID.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020