1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll... how many y'all folks streaming TV now?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by airbud7, Jul 30, 2019.

?

Stream vs Cable box vs other?

1. streaming

15 vote(s)
    78.9%
  2. cable box

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I have hulu+live /netflix and amazon prime member.....I can literally walk into the living room headed for the kitchen to get my coffee and speak...."Alexa" give me my daily brief an I get my local news/weather stuff....

We have come a long way in a short time...Cool stuff I tell ya...

So, how many y'all folks streaming TV now vs cable/OTA?

2. kbozz71

kbozz71 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    airbud7 likes this.
  3. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I have a Netflix subscription, but that's about it. I watch a lot of YouTube as well but don't have premium membership. The only thing I want to watch on cable TV is sports (specifically hockey) but cable companies insist on bundles, which I refuse to pay (no way am I paying for channels which I would never watch). I depend on the NHL streams subreddit for my hockey fix.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Don't have a box. Don't miss it. Everything I need is easily found on streaming platforms.

airbud7 likes this.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    im still on a cable box, well c+ card.
    not gonna replace it since im happy with it.

airbud7 likes this.
  6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I like the idea of it but is not good chioice if you have 4+ streaming tv 8+ hours day with shitty isp router, it even worse of idea of people have less then 50mbit internet

airbud7 likes this.
  7. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I use You Tube TV .... works fine and has the channels I want. I dumped my cable TV and just kept the cable internet, saves me a couple bucks but still paying too much really if you ask me.

airbud7 likes this.
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I even don`t understand what are you asking about...

9. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    mostly fill my nas up and stream from them.

airbud7 likes this.
  10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    quadro K6000+Tesla M2090
    The only reason i still have TV (well... it's a 40" 4k monitor in fact) is for my girl, and i use only iptv for this.
    I have a Nas as many one, with video if i need something better to put on a screen.
    Lot of streaming provider aren't capable of maintaining UHD as Netflix does.
    And when you have tried once it's hard to go back to less.

airbud7 likes this.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Netflix, Amazon prime here, and I still do watch cable TV as well.
    Cable TV for the sole reason of putting something on TV I don't have to wonder / think about what I want to see, most of the times when I don't want to follow a program too closely and just come down from work or smthg.

But I have to admit, cable TV consumption is dropping significantly in the last year, program's crap, only 2 stations I watch: Arte (French - German "culture" TV with stuff like art, documentaries, and European news instead of national ones), and occasionally stuff like comedy central Germany or WWE's non-pay TV programs.

airbud7 likes this.
  12. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080FTWdt
    Never had cable (living on the countryside), but i did pay for channels trough satelitte for many years. Now i sometimes watch some of the open channels (sky news, al-jazeehra international and china news television are free and open on the thor satelite, along with a ton of christian channels :).
    But my main has been iptv for the last years. Our national broadcast (news, sports etc) is free and i pay for netflix and curiosity stream. (also got a 30tb plex server that i have made playlist with all the the best shows in different categories, that just play in the background. Either Seinfeld/Friends and all the other sitcoms i like from the past 30 years playing randomly or full Star Trek extravagance)
    This in combination with a nvidia shield (darn i love this wonderful box, just got upgraded to pie) on my 4k tv and chromcast dongles on my other tv's .

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    airbud7 likes this.
  13. SweenJM

SweenJM Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 590 nitro
    I got a TCL 55 inch 240hz TV with roku built in. Built-in 2.4/5Ghz wifi. Was pretty darn cheap, but screen really looks pretty good. I have hulu/netflix/amazon, but i find myself using some of the roku channels too. I like Pluto TV, and i probably watch stuff on it more than anything. Lots of channels ( even 24 hour classic MST3K!!!!)

airbud7 likes this.
  14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Since we pulled the TV ariel out of the TV 6/7 years ago and have not allowed any live UK terrestrial Tv to soil or home since, we have happily used that what would have been wasted Tv licence money and jumping between Netflix and Prime, but the Tv in the living room is a 7 year old 60in plasma, still working great, but it does not have any smart features, but i have the Ps Pro hooked up to it and use that for streaming and the odd box set or BR movie.

Of course here in the UK we still have to put up with Tv licence berks appearing at random at your door because you dared not buy a Tv licence to fund the joke that is the BBC, but a quick shut the door in their face does the trick nicely, a thing i don't think i will ever grow tired of. lol

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    airbud7 likes this.
  15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Proper way of doing that is registering yourself as not requiring one here
    https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/telling-us-you-dont-need-a-tv-licence

I did it about 5 years ago, it's a very simple couple minute form, name and address pretty much, and have not a single officer at my door since (prior to that paid license just to get them off our backs)

For my own media it's about half Netflix and half sailing the seas

airbud7 and insp1re2600 like this.

16. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    I cut my cable in 2006 when I damaged my TV while moving. It was kind of annoying having to download everything I wanted to watch, but TV in general was garbage by then so there wasn't much to miss.
    Right now I use my mom's Netflix and I swap between HBO, Amazon and Viaplay depending on what shows I want to watch.

17. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    Same here haven't had one in 10 year. Never had a visit

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Tried that, pillocks still appeared, so it seems it is luck of the draw if it works or not, but saying that just before xmas i bought a little sticker and stuck it on the wall next to the door, and about two weeks later another capita berk appeared, so with phone in hand recording me pointing out to the cold calling sign and then removing implied rights of access from them.......he walked away quickly grumbling, and no one has been back since, nor have we recived any more letters......so i can only assume this at last has worked. :)

airbud7 and scatman839 like this.
  19. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 G1Gaming
    Amazon Prime. Which i hardly use for TV because ain't nobody got time for that.