Polaris vs GTX 1080/1070

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by mykemyk2006, May 20, 2016.

1. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    its a joke.

Its implying part of pascals new uarch contains circuitry to intentionally reduce performance when a new generation is released.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Oh yeah, I had forgotten about the Warhammer benches, I was actually impressed by them, the Fury X seemed to be holding its own. Am I mistaken or the only new API title that NVIDIA is faster per segment is Tomb Raider now? Which was incidentally the only title with DX12 support patched-in instead of developing from the beginning for?

3. bugsixx

bugsixx Member Guru

GPU:
    x
    I'm getting the 1070, even tho 480 is cheaper, the performance is way worse.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    1070 is almost double the price, ofc its faster. When AMD gives us a hint about RX490 then we'll have a real 1070 competitor.

5. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Playing fallout 4 on my 24" monitor and 1440p through vsr certainly gets used to pretty quick.
    Due to some fps dips I decided to play it at 1080p again, but 1440p sure plays and feels better at the proper fps, even on a 24" screen.

6. Brogs

Brogs New Member

GPU:
    390x
    I had to pick up 390x for $270. Few weeks ago..had Vive all setup in 12x12 area in basement but needed better GPU to run it...I'm going to wait to see what 490 brings to table..finally some interesting GPU happening between invidia and Amd***128515;

7. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    I looked at some early, supposedly benchmarks on the upcoming polaris gpu, very interesting as the price is very nice, in terms of price to performance ratio is concerned.

If you do 2 in X-fire mode, its basically a GTX 1080 performance and that's basically 2 polaris gpu's running @ stock speed, oc those bad boys, phew man and better yet, the card supposedly going to cost $200 dollars each, that's $400 vs $599, some FE is going much higher as demand on theses cards are sky rocketing.

Looks amazing, Can't wait to see benches, my eyes are on the hbm2 Vega and the 1080ti or the p100(big pascal), hopefully by then, the pascal drivers will be somewhat matured and much better performance will be expected as oppose to what we are seeing right now.

I think amd is going to dominate the med range arena, looking good.

Vega+Hbm2 = Going to be one serious contender to the upcoming 1080ti, I think Vega Will be quite a bit faster then the 1080 itself, despite drivers hasn't fully matured yet.

Still really thinking about stepping up to the 1080 through evga, Happy with the 980ti hybrid that I ordered, basically 1080 performance give or take at the oc speeds I have now.

UPDATE:

Get a load of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIazci2jHkw

Very very impressive(Price to performance).

Excellent, I think, On alpha drivers, very good

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  8. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    Yaks, i can't stand 60hz it so poor, 1080p 120hz at least that acceptable, but i want QHD long time ago, the MG278Q is good upgrade over s23a700d, so ye 1440p is the best middle ground today.

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    +1, Xfire is an absolute stinking pile.

10. yobooh

yobooh Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    Polaris VS 1060 :wanker:
    115% not so much faster anyway

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Sure. Failing that, Vega will destroy the big Pascal. Guaranteed.

12. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    2070 subpar RTX OFF
    Whatever AMD comes up with to counter the 1070/1080 will probably be +/-10% the performance with pricing to match, they aren't a charity. Too late to the party for me this time around, I'm grabbing a 1070 as soon as the one I want is in stock. Not even thinking about 1080ti or big Vega, as I know they'll be ludicrously priced.

13. Finisterre

Finisterre Member

GPU:
    NV
    The marketing spin will be that Vega in CFX will just be able beat big Pascal.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
  15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    780ti only had a 2.7% lead over the 780. You're making those numbers up, you know that big boy?

16. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    so you are saying the difference between -7.0 and +9.7 equals 2.7 ?
    roger that! :nerd:

lets go eclap, next possibility for you is codeword "what is the source?"

and if he really can provide source we just go over to strategy:
    "oh i was just making fun - the source is not trustworthy anyways, i know that because i worked there!"

PS:

calculating the difference between minus seven and positive nine point seven
    equals sixteen point seven.

teacher always said to us on the linear number graph: "if you walk from -7 to zero you have to make 7 steps. then if you continue to walk from zero to +9.7 you make additional 9.7 steps. that together is ? 16.7" hoooray!

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    My bad, I read the chart wrong, for some reason I saw both as plus. Dunno why. No need to be an ass.

Either way, the chart is made up. I can make one too and post it. Proves exactly nothing.

18. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    ? an ass ?

sorry i thought it was funny and you would see it as a joke.
    had the feeling language & humor is very rough here from time to time.
    so i tried being funny. if it didnt work, sorry.

just wanted to show you that 2.7 is wrong in this case.

lets see if onna has a source? you in the boat with me?

LOAD "OnnA",8,1
    waiting.... :pc1: :nerd:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  19. yobooh

yobooh Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    Nvidia stops improving performance on older architecture (in this example kepler), but in the past also amd has done that..and one year ago amd driver where pure crap compared to Nvidia!
    The advantage is that AmD uses almost the same GCN since 7xxx cards so the gain is solid for almost every amd user...this makes surely an AMD gpu more long lasting than a Nvidia one

20. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    Not sure on other manufacturers but Evga users can transfer standard warranty to second user, i recently bought a second Evga 980ti classified with 798 days left on warranty,i had to contact Evga`s customer support but was sorted on the day of emailing them