PNY GeForce RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti Product Data Sheet Leaks - Reveals All

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 18, 2018.

1. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    rtx2070 will be faster or similar to 1080Ti. Just look at the history. Doesn't matter what "leaks" show, or don't. My claim has ~90% chance to be true, based on past 10 years of products.

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    xx70 "should be" > last gens Ti, but have feeling this time it wont. This release is a whole new approach on Nv's part, where I think they may be re-drawing the tiers. The xx80 could be the only card that beats the last Ti from now on. In which case I may have to bump up a tier or skip Turing 12nm for the next big 70% performance jump. Dont really have much faith in Turings 12nm longevity and wouldnt be surprised if a 7nm refresh comes out within next 9-12 months (or whenever AMDs 7nm is out).

Have a feeling Nvidias main intent with Turing 12nm is to showcase RT tech and to nudge game studios to adopt it as quickly as they can before the next RT 7nm release when things will be primed and ready for it.

HandR likes this.
  3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    What will be even more interesting will be the second hand market for 1070/ 1080 cards, what will be the going price for cards that might have had the guts ran out of them for mining 24/7........should be very interesting to watch.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Write down those GPUs down. For every generation which you base you assumption on.

Now, take each of those jumps in performance and find root cause. I'll help you with list, you can just place them as needed:
    - Previous generation was Limited by Power, next generation was on more power efficient node.
    - Previous generation had much fewer TMUs/ROPs/SPs/... and jump was allowed by better manufacturing node.
    - Previous generation had much lower clock, and next generation managed to get there via improvements in manufacturing process.
    - Previous generation had much less advanced architecture and new one overshadowed it per TMU/ROP/SP/...

There is way you can be right in your assumption. But you do not want to be right. Because 10x0 generation:
    - is not limited by power consumption
    - has quite similar TMU/ROP/SP/... count
    - has practically same clock

So, only advancements in architecture remain. And there are plenty, right? But that means 2070 will pull ahead of 1080Ti only due to massive use of effects/features which will cripple that 1080Ti.

I am sure everyone wants new HW to perform better, to deliver higher fps in already existing games. Not to show off by being drastically better in some tailored situation and show almost no improvement in existing games.

5. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I am not going to write down something you can see for yourself by looking through GPU reviews on guru3d.

PS. I talked about performance per performance, not performance per dollar, watt, duck, dog, amd, sick days etc.

it's not assumption, it's a fact.

start with series 4xx and work your way up.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Neither was I. I just wrote about cause for improved performance for each generation. If you think 2070 will match/outperform 1080Ti, you have to have reason for it.
    Performance has to come from something. And with all respect, I did ask you to write it down for yourself. I know perfectly what were reasons for performance jumps.
    It just looked like you go by "Statistics" and presumed that nVidia will deliver same improvement again, ignoring technological background.

7. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Some people will always argue performance per dollar or performance per watt because it's the only argument they have.

People who are spending $900-1000 USD on a 2080Ti do not care about those things, they just want the fastest card out there.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    airbud7 and gx-x like this.
  8. ivan

ivan Active Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080ti
    There is no competition, i dont see why Nvidia would compete against themselves. Considering that there is still a large PASCAL inventory available, I dont believe that these Turing cards are going to be 30%-50% faster over the Pascal cards(like in previous releases next gen architecture releases) . NVIDIA just blowing smoke up everyone's asses with the ray tracing and Tensor cores to make ppl pay the premium. I'm not sure why they even releasing these cards this early since no competition from AMD and now INTEL (their announced GPU for 2020). Only promising tech i see on these 2080 series is NV_LINK. Only benchmarks will show though, and i hope I'm wrong. And is there any game developers announced ray tracing in any of the upcoming titles? It will be like the legendary 4600ti release(even thought it did have a considerable increase over the Geforce 3 series), packed with new cool tech but not quite enough horsepower the run the games with it. (The card that was supposed to run doom3 well but didn't) and ATI followed up with the 9600/9700 release that dominated the Geforce 4 series. Hoping AMD has something similar up its sleeves to bring these outrageous NVIDIA GPU prices down, i mean $1000 2080ti.... seriously? But once again, doubt it:(

Luc likes this.
  9. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    What nVidia does is make xx70 to be faster than previous gen xx80(Ti most often) so that you would sell old and buy new. Tech has nothing to do with their money making policy at the final step when it comes to naming scheme. Yea, sure, you are correct in your assumptions, which only leaves nVidia with more headroom for price gauging. Like I said, there is 90% chance that history will repeat itself. It's all just about naming products so they fit the agenda.

@ivan

There very well might be a 1000$ product xxxxx Titan. Again, history tells us, xx60, xx70, xx80, wait some months and xx80Ti comes. It is never the first card to arrive. It would make sense for the nV to release the slower(est, think GTX 960) cards at first until they get rid of as many of 1070/1080 as they can, at discounted prices.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    alanm and BangTail like this.
  10. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    We are now at a $900-1000 2080Ti and this will only increase as there is absolutely no competition.

Nvidia does enough market research to know what demographic will buy x product at x price and most adults can get a CC with a $1000.00 limit (in the west at least).

People constantly over extend themselves for the latest and greatest so it is no stretch that these will sell and that will pave the way for another price hike when the next iteration of cards releases.

I find it strange there is no mention of a Titan card, seems Nvidia is releasing the Ti/Non Ti variants simultaneously this time.

11. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    honestly, we don't know that yet. This article and what is going around now is speculation. Might be true, might not be. It's "wait and see" game at this point.
    On the other hand, there are far far more 1060 cards sold than 1070s, let alone 1080. They made much more money on low end.

Fox2232 likes this.
  12. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    No, we don't know but there has been absolutely no mention of a Titan card while 2080/2080Ti are both pretty much confirmed at this point.

Since the Ti variant is almost always within about 1or 2 FPS of the Titan, it would make little sense to release both at the same time.

I know, I know, Titans aren't gaming cards but I also know that many gamers buy them regardless.

13. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    I guess you missed the part where he said those prices look to be place holders.

And even if you dont factor in inflation, the top cards today are still cheaper than they were in 2007.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yasamoka likes this.
  14. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    Noticed that later after my post.

As for the 2nd part of your comment... well, not exactly.
    8800 Ultra was a sort of a Titan at that time, with an outrageous price, a halo product and nothing more.
    "Originally retailing from $800 to $1000, most users thought the card to be a poor value, offering only 10% more performance than the GTX but costing hundreds of dollars more."

The actual high-end card that people bought was 8800 GTX which had a MSRP of $600, in line with the rest of them... 400-500-650.
    8800 Ultra with it's $850 price should not even be on the chart... like none of the Titans are.

I just hope they keep it with the "500" for high-end x80 and "700" for the extreme Ti version in the future as well, and not create more anomalies like that 8800 Ultra. We have Titans for that purpose.

15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I'm interested in the reviews of the RTX 2080 Ti but I'm not convinced I need one, not when the GTX 1080 Ti is still a beast and offering high framerates at 2560x1440 (and often at 4K too using DSR) with 60+ fps in most games (well, those that are well optimised anyway... We Happy Few, yes, I'm looking at you!!!).

There are no new consoles due this year so all games will still be aimed at the base PS4 and Xbox One specs (with "up to" 4K enhanced ones for the Pro and X variants). That means that I would be better off waiting until next year for the 2nd generation Turing cards which would likely have a die-shrink meaning better power efficiency and higher clocks/performance. By then the PS5 and Xbox One successor will be on the horizon, if not released, which means that the extra power may be needed for multiplatform games.... or, maybe, not since I don't intend upgrading to a 4K display for a few years yet. As I stated previously, maxed out settings and high framerates are far more important to me than compromised settings at 4K and 2560x1440 does offer the perfect "sweet spot" IMO on a 27" 165 Hz display.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018

16. 350winder

350winder New Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 2X SLI
    RTX 8000 in SLI!!! Should be good for 4k at 144. Maybe even a buffer for years to come.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I mean at some point that was bound to happen.. it's not like they can keep shrinking dies indefinitely. I'd rather have a revolutionary leap in visuals than Nvidia selling +10% performance each generation like Intel. So yeah, new hardware needed - progress kind of "resets" here - but the alternative is what exactly? Plateaued visuals/performance as artists ram their heads into the proverbial wall of rasterization?

yasamoka likes this.
  18. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Unless this kind of tech is in the consoles (Ray tracing), Devs won't bother.

gx-x likes this.
  19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The raytracing tech is powered by Microsoft DX12's DXR - which will almost definitely hit consoles at some point (Khronos is building their own variant as well). It's up to AMD to support an acceleration method for it - they already partially can via RPM in Vega but it's significantly slower than what Nvidia is doing.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    Yea you're right, I think it should be the Ultra: it got released at MSRP ~800 (8800gtx was ~650) which in 2017 USD was close to 1000