Pls help me "rearrange" my new hard drives

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by KevKiev, Aug 6, 2011.

1. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    Haven't been hanging around much lately... but could REALLY use some help. My 2 velocity raptors in Raid 0 finally died last week and I ended up upgrading my entire setup (work done by a local shop), including Windows 7 and 3 new hard drives including 2x Seagate Barracuda 500G 7200.12 in Raid 0 and a Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12. Also got a Asus Maximus IV Extreme Mobo, i7-2600k CPU and some other goodies. (It was like..." okay, might as well add that too." Then I'd think about it for awhile and phone back with another upgrade request... etc etc. Next thing I new I had a whole new computer:D... and a bigger credit card bill:rolleyes:)

The idea (I thought) was to use the 2x500gb Raid 0 HDD's for my OS and apps, and the 1TB for data and backups. (i.e. like the way it was before the crash.) However, it seems that only the OS was installed on the Raid setup and everything else was put onto the 1TB HDD. At least, that's my conclusion once I set everything up at home: I noticed that the C: drive in "computer" shows the 1TB drive (just going by the size of the C: Drive, 931 GB) but doesn't show the 2x500g Raid 0 set up at all - there's only the C: drive, and a D:drive which is a blue-ray unit. I poked around in bios saw an "0:" drive (like, zero? doesn't look like the letter O) which, again, can't be seen from my computer so I'm guessing only the OS is on there. But I'm not even sure about that - by the time I set up the PC the shop was closed so I couldn't talk to the guy who did the work.

So my question is: are my conclusions correct about my current HDD setup (how would I verify that?), and how can I get my Raid 0 to be recognized like my C: drive so I put steam, other games & apps on there (and still use it as the boot drive) and just use the 1TB for storage.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  2. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    2x500gb Raid 0 = 1TB, so sounds like the Seagate 1TB drive is not showing up. Have you contacted the shot that set this up?

3. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    Lol, ok, that would explain... a lot! For some reason I didn't think... ah, well, you get the gist.

*snip* All Fixed

though it does surprise me that, with a Raid 0 setup, my windows performance score on hard drives is 5.9/7.9 (It's 7.9 across the board other than the HDDs)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011