Please tell me I'm OK

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jthoov, Dec 17, 2008.

1. jthoov

jthoov Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX460 Sonic 1024MB
    Hey!

So my PSU on the left suddenly died on me last night. I was really disappointed since it got good reviews and was working great for a month. I still have no clue why it just died out so I sent it in for repairs but the response time is 6-8 weeks... wow... WOW~!

So I made a choice out of desperation while at the store and only had $130 CDN on me at the time and asked for a recommendation and the hardware guy told me to buy this

http://www.pcpower.com/products/description/Silencer_500_Dell/index.html

The PC Power & Cooling Dell 500
    After Canadian taxes, it cost me a total of $102 CDN.

Well it is powering up my computer right now but my main concern is that the NVIDIA site said that 525W was recommended for powering up my GTX 260 216.

But the hardware guy at the store said that it is because many companies lie about their wattage and some products in general just suck. He said that the power supply I got from PC&C is actually good since it is made by one of the better power supply makers.

I don't know about all this stuff but am I safe with this PSU? It really is just a temporary replacement and backup but I hope I made a good choice.

Thank you!!

*I also have 4 USBs connected, mouse, keyboard, web cam, printer usb*

Also, does anyone have any idea of why my PSU would just suddenly die?
    My case/temp is fine since all my other hardware is cool as a cucumber, I mean my apartment in general is really cool and it is winter time. And I haven't played around with any hardware/software.

... Did I just get unlucky with a faulty PSU?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
  3. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah it's safe...not a very good PSU but adequate. Sucks about your new Enermax. Are you using a UPS there?

4. jthoov

jthoov Member Guru

GPU:
    Yeaa

Thanks for the replies!

I had the option of buying some other power supplies for the same price that were 600-700W but the hardware guy was telling me that their efficiency was not as good and therefore were really only pumping at 400-500W.

Anyway, thanks! It's working well so far =]

5. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    well like most salesmen he doesn't know what he's talking about...efficiency doesn't work that way. Efficiency determines the amount of AC power needed to generate the 600w or 700w or whatever DC load...it doesn't decrease the output capacity

6. jthoov

jthoov Member Guru

GPU:
  7. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    erm yeah ok...nothing to do with efficiency there. The Silencer is a good budget unit and the Ultra is just a budget unit. But the Ultra is also actually a smaller power supply in real world use. It's 12V rating is only 36W more than the Silencer 500 but if the Ultra was rated at 40°C like the Silencer that 12V rating would be even less. So I'd expect to pay less for the Ultra.

8. TooRiski

TooRiski Banned

GPU:
    Asus EAH4870 @ 820/1100
    you are OK