Please help with this laptop...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Eat The Rich, May 9, 2009.

1. Eat The Rich

Eat The Rich Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX OC2 626/2000
    Hey everyone! I've just got my uncle's little Advent 8212 from him as he said he was having problems. I thought it would be something or nothing but I can't sort it.

Basically, it won't turn on. It's been on charge for ages so it's not that. When I press the power button the battery light comes on at the front but then goes off after a few seconds, there's no noise of fans or anything.

I've had a look if any of the memory has been knocked loose and it's not that. After a bit of fiddling I actually pressed the power and heard the fan kick in for a few seconds then it just went off again.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much, as always :)

2. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Pull the battery and run on the mains only.

Could be a dodgy power connector on the mainboard, try GENTLY moving the power connector when its plugged in while switching on.

Otherwise its likely to be a mainboard failure

3. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    Which is common & then there is nothing you can do :(

4. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Well you could get a new board off ebay and rebuild if its worth the effort :)

5. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    But it's usually not & the prices are usually insane, even for old laptops.

6. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Yeah It can be, but if you look hard or buy spares/repair on a machine with a different fault you can get lucky, I got a brand new sealed board for my X31 for £50

7. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Well if it was a dodgey connection be it mains/battery with some patience and solder he'll be up and running again.

Checking the CPU and screen connection may be worth a shot.

8. Eat The Rich

Eat The Rich Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX OC2 626/2000
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the power socket on the edge of the laptop. Basically, I can't seem to get it to charge. I managed with another charger, i.e. orange charging light for a while) but still nothing. I tried just using the power cable with no battery and it still doesn't work. I've taken the fan out and had a look at the CPU and it all looks fine, as do the two 1GB memory sticks.

I'm out of ideas now. I press power and the battery light comes on a for a few seconds then goes off; no HDD noise, no fans and nothing on the screen. Is it completely totalled then?

Thanks, as always :)

9. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Maha Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    The power switch could also be faulty. I.e. it my stay pressed, that way the lyppy would turn on, then after bout 5-6 seconds turn off. Much like if you were still pressing the power button. If you can, try overriding the power button.

It could also be a faulty power brick. There are universal ones that deliver the voltage/power needed for most lappys. Maybe worth checking out. While you did try another power brick, doesent mean that one could handle the laptop. Carefuly read the specs.

If its the power connector that is loose, there are manuals for dissasembly all over the net. Might want to give it a try. Its not overly complicated to dissasemble things and put them back togheter (with a manual). Then you could resolder that power connector.

GL.

10. Corndog

Corndog Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 702/1728/1913
    If it's not the battery or power connector, I'd have to say it may be the motherboard. I just observed the same thing from a computer I was trying to fix and it was the motherboard.
    BTW, airlcool: is it possible that a faulty CPU can cause a computer to behave like that?

11. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Possible a bad CPU could stop it POSTING, no? It could be on and no that audible, such as the hard drive spinning.

That said it probably would be the motherboard or something on it, power button or power input. Its harder to say on a laptop, its harder to diagnose.

12. Helpful

Helpful Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Listen to the boot carefully. If you, faintly, hear a "peeuuu" sound, it is likely a
    failure of one of the mosfets ( power controlling transistors) on the motherboard.
    They can be replaced. Some fellow on Ebay was doing this for ~ $125.