Please help me to find out what is going on! Gpu usage issues!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by savannahmick, Aug 8, 2017.

1. savannahmick

savannahmick Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI OC GTX1060
    I have a brand new rig and I bought it prebuilt from IBUYPOWER and it worked fine until I changed the cheap Allied 500w PSU to a new Corsair CX550M! Now 90 percent of my games are wrecked unplayable due to GPU usage going from 100% to 0% during play and even in the menu! It is driving me nuts and I tried a normal driver reinstall with clean option also used DDU in normal mode! BUT no help at all! Please try and help me figure out how to fix this! Thanks!

2. Guru01

Guru01 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG STRIX 1070 OC
    I would go through each component and make sure it is seated right. i.e: your video card. Check the cables and also if all things fail, try to find out if you can take the rig in for an inspection from that place you bought it from.

3. savannahmick

savannahmick Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI OC GTX1060
    Still skipping

I just went thru every wire and connector and ran sfc but still no go! I have never fought anything like this thru the years so I am getting pissed! It only does it in fullscreen mode and when I run it in native res 4k. I know your thinking it's my fps but I swear I can tell the difference in this and bad fps! The MSI AFB graph for usage looks like a 90 year old mans EKG while having a heart attack! I guess I'll have to try a clean install this weekend! I do use HWINFO and Rainmeter also Cue. Oh yeah and classic start menu! LOL! Arggghh!

4. Apparatus

Apparatus Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 470 4gb
    It can be that the change of psu altered your windows power plan settings ?
    Never heard something similar, but its just a thought.

Check the PCI Express/Link State Power Management setting, and be sure that is set to off.

5. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+RX580 8GB OC
    Possibly a dodgy PSU I'd start with the PSU as this is when the problem started get it replaced

some seem to think the older models were crap check to see what version you have the newer CXM series are better made than the older version if it has Chinese made caps it's an older version whereas the newer ones now use all Japanese Caps and are a much better PSU than it's former incarnation designed for light loads and not much more

6. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI @ 2.025Ghz
    http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cx-series-cx550m-550-watt-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular-atx-psu-na

AC Input: 100V - 240V DC Output |+3.3V +5V|| +12V| |-12V| |+5Vsb|
    Current: 10A - 5A Max Load |25A 20A||45.8A| |0.8A| |3A|

Maximum Combined Wattage |120W| |550W| |9.6W| |15W|
    Total Power: 550W

GTX 1060 power requirements.

Minimum System Power Requirement (W)
    400 W

https://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-1060/specifications

You need to get yourself a nice 700 watt+ GOLD PSU for total system stability.

http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

If you have the time go here, be as accurate as possible. This will calculate. If you cant choose SSHD hybrid just go with IDE and whatever RPM. Power is what they are looking at. Either is close.

Going to ask some questions.

IBUYPOWER and other companies are known for "gluing" contacts. Did you possibly break or bend pins anywhere on the board while replacing the PSU?

I had a few friends a few years back buy from them to find connectors glued down to the board etc.

Id be patient, and look over every component, make sure 100% nothing is broken or bent. Check the PCIe slot.

Try seeding the card in a different PCIe slot if you have one free. If it works just leave it there.

I'm just taking a guess at your system by specs and I'm coming up with around 400 watts idle. That could be more.

I don't know the cooler your using...how many system fans you have...you'll have to fill that out then hit calculate.

You'll come up with a higher total then.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  7. savannahmick

savannahmick Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI OC GTX1060
    Hey everyone thanks!

I do really appreciate you all taking a moment to try and help me! I stayed up last night and put the old PSU back in same result exactly. I finally gave up and reformatted and reinstalled from scratch with new PSU (it is a newer version so hopefully it is a decent 80 plus bronze cx550m). Everything is working perfect again so it was Windows or driver conflict I guess! Whew! Happy happy joy joy!

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    CX550m is fine for that build..

You are not going to be using anywhere near 550w.

More likely 350w under load.

9. savannahmick

savannahmick Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI OC GTX1060
    Yeah even with 2 ML140mm case fans and 2 riing 120mm case fans, RGB case lighting it is right below 400w. Also I checked a bunch of reviews and customer feedback before I purchased the PSU. It is one the best($60) per dollar- per performance 80 plus bronze PSU you can be from what I have seen. Anyway I am going to reinstall it now that I know what the problem was (WINDOWS)! AGAIN THANKS EVERYONE!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  10. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    Yah the power supply you have should be fine. No need to upgrade that. I have a GTX1060 running on a 450W power supply on a 2nd PC and it runs just fine!

If the GPU usage is dropping to 0% that basically means the CPU has stopped feeding the GPU data to render. So I'd pin the issue at either memory or hard drive being the most likely cause. I had a bad hard drive do something very similar once where it was like the entire system froze for a good 1.5-2 seconds as the hard drive was having all kinds of read errors.

I'd grab PassMark's Disk Check up.. look at the SMART tab see if you see anything that is marked as a Warning. You can also run a disk self test from that app. If that app doesn't turn up anything you can run the Windows Error Checker utility.

https://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

11. Xul Aethyr

Xul Aethyr Member

GPU:
    1080TI MSI Gaming X 2ghz
    Ya that psu is plenty, my specs pull about 450 from the wall getting cpu/gpu to 100% in bf1, after efficiency about 400 watt output from psu, that said a psu could still be faulty, glad you have it working now :)