Please help - Can't get IDE CD-RW to write from Win XP

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Yazuli, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Yazuli

Yazuli New Member

My IDE CD-RW drive isn't recognized by Windows for packet writing. In other words I can't select files and get the option to 'write to CD'. This started in January when I upgraded my motherboard to an ASUS P5 Deluxe. Prior to that I could write to the CD with XP's built in copy to CD feature. After I installed the new motherboard I would get 'drive not accessible' errors when trying to copy files. I upgraded DirectCD - no go. I then uninstalled DirectCD - no go. I can burn music CDs okay with things like Music Match or Windows Media.

I thought maybe my CD-RW was too old (it was an old Plexwriter), so I installed a new Memorex CD-RW today and still can't get Windows XP to copy files to the CD.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the JMicron controller or maybe a bios setting. This has been plaguing me for a year and I'd really appreciate some help.

Thanks,
    Yazuli

2. frisell

frisell Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 280GTX OC 1G
    old nvidia IDE drivers used to be troublesome, if you are using them try uninstalling IDE driver and let windows take care of it, worked for me.

3. Yazuli

Yazuli New Member

Using device manager I uninstalled the cd-rw drive, uninstalled both IDE Primary and Secondary channels and had Windows scan again. It reinstalled everything. Still same problem. Device manager says the drivers are provided by Microsoft.

Or am I doing this the wrong way?

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    why don't people post their specs?

The ide drivers are only for hard drives, not for optical drives.

Optical disks use the generic windows drivers,.

you say you can still write cd's?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007

5. mafia_boy

mafia_boy Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GeForce GTX 970 4gig
    what about the firmware om the drive??

6. Yazuli

Yazuli New Member

The problem occurs with old Plexwriter and the new Memorex so I don't think its a firmware issue.

This is an Asus P5B Deluxe, Intel 6700, Nvidia 8800 GTX, 4 SCSI Hard drives on an Adaptec 29160 controller. Toshiba DVD-RW (IDE) and Memorex CD-RW (IDE).

The CD-RW worked fine (XP would copy files to it) until I changed Motherboards and Video Card.

I vaguely remember reading something about one of the controllers on the P5 and SATA and IDE needing to be coaxed into allowing XP's packet writing (I hope I'm explaining this correctly). I've tried searching for post but could never find it.

The CD Drive will burn music CDs no problem. It will burn data if I use a cd-burning program like Nero. I just can't select files and tell XP to write them to the CD anymore. That is the capability I want to have back again.

I'm going to attempt to update the BIOS today.