1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please have a look at this RE:PSU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by fordfalcon460, Feb 3, 2004.

1. i just bought an Antec True Power 480 watt power supply. I am happy with it so far, even though i just installed it.

I am concerned however about the voltages. Please tell me if this looks normal for a high quality Antec PSU:

+3.3v = 2.61v
    +5v = 4.92
    +12v =11.73

Thanks, your time is much appreciated.

2. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
    they look a little on the low side, although i dont think its anything to worry about, Antec generally make excellent PSU's. I take it you have had no stability problems since you put it in.

3. no, but could you please read my post in the "Die hard overclocking" forrum,

Thanks

4. NIB

NIB Master Guru

The 3.3v line shows some serious undervoltage i think. The other lines are ok. But then again i know nothing about psus.

5. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    That's odd. Its undervolting quite a bit on all the rails, especially the 3.3v rail is low. Hmmm... What's the specs on that psu? How many amps on the different rails? What was your old psu like?

6. my old psu was a cheap 400 watts, and it to was way undervolted.

Could it be because i am running my power of a powerboard with 4 other things pluged into it?

7. NIB

NIB Master Guru

Nah his other lines are ok. I have a friend with a 550w antec cpu and his 12v line is around 11.7(but then again he has raised voltage on cpu, ram, agp and has like a trillion fans/lights). -+5% is acceptable i think.

Well english isnt my mother language, so what is a powerboard? You mean that your psu's powercable is connected to a plug where other things(like monitor, speakers, etc) are connected? This shouldnt be a problem. Unless you have connected some serious equipment there. If it is an aircondition, it could cause some problems(the guy that installed our ac suggested to have it plugged on a different circuit than other devices) but then again i know nothing about electronics.

8. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    No, I don't think that's acceptable for a high end psu like the one he has. Overvolting a little bit is completely usual, and not as crucial as undervolting. A litte too much voltage is better than too little.
    Anyway, have you tried unplugging some of the things you have plugged in? Just to see if it does any difference.

9. Badfish

Badfish Guest

I agree with Headshot those voltages sound too low for a high quality PSU from Antec. I'm using a Kingwin 450W power supply in my system with 3 hd's, 2 cathodes, fx5700u, 5 case fans, etc and full overclocking my voltages very rarely drop below the 12v, 5v, 3.3v, 1.5v. When they do its for a short period and a small amount ie 1.488v, 3.28v. Also read your post in the overclocking forum and sounds like these low voltages could be an explanation for the low vcore voltage you are seeing. If you also had low voltages with your old power supply I would try both with limited components running off the power supply and see how the voltages are. If both PSU runs low voltages with minimal components it would seem like the problem would be with the way your motherboard regulates the voltages from the PSU or the reading your motherboard gives back for the voltages are just inaccurate.

10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    my +5 reads 4.89...is that bad?

11. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Na, that's ok. The 5v rail shouldn't affect the cpu stability much anyways, as the cpu gets its power from the 12v rail..