please buy before it destroyed

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by dsbig, Jun 21, 2011.

1. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It was a simple test boat that only got famous because a 007 movie drew inspiration from it to make a sci-fi version of it.

3. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    The DeLorean should have been worth $195 million. ;_;

4. nodo

nodo Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT260
    This ship really is a stealth ship, while I'm afraid the DeLorean isn't really a time machine.

But yeah, the DeLorean is waaaaaaayyyy cooler! :nerd:

5. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    What bothers me more is that the military can spend almost 200 million on a 'test boat', then destroy it several years later. "Thanks for all the free money tax-payers, better luck next time!"

Then again would we actually know if they used it or not? hmmm

6. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The data they got while testing this boat is easily worth the money. Don't forget how many different things this boat was testing:

1)- New construction methods
    2)- New materials
    3)- New shapes
    4)- New propulsion
    5)- Computer systems
    6)- etc

It costs nearly 10 million just to come up with a new camouflage pattern, 200 million to test as many things as this boat did is a relative bargain.

7. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    Truth. It's probably too big to be put in a museum (or it could be the museum!)

A side note before I actually get back to doing work today, what kind of slip do you need to park this thing? Not too many neighbors would be too happy if you had this parked / covered in your yard :) My head is filled with too many practical questions this morning!

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I don't understand why they sell these "test" items. What's stopping someone from buying it who will then sell it or sell information about it to enemy countries?

9. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    There are maritime museums, we have one in Australia.

[​IMG]

10. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    I wonder why it costs soo much? 200 million? common, who has put all that money in their pockets? It would have been made of pure gold and diamond windows to cost that much.

11. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    from the yahoo page :

crash it into a somali pirate boat

lmao!

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You're think of material prices, not the research behind it. Look how much the Apollo program cost.

People don't understand Stealth, they think of it as some magic shape or coating that does all the work, this is only partially true.

I'll give you an example, the F-22. Now the F-22 is easily the most advanced flying machine in the sky today, and perhaps the most stealthy. What people don't know is that it went through several different stealth coatings alone in its life. It's engines and shape are specially in tune to avoid contrails which can actually show up on radar. Even ice crystals from cold temperatures can reflect radar if they form on a plane.

Also, with IR able to see planes out to nearly 70km-100km these days, the F-22 had to be able to be invisible to that as well. It flows cold fuel around the leading wing edges (the point of highest friction e.g., heat) and has thermal tiles around its engines to reduce heat signature.

13. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    I understand that, but how much money needs a scientist to research something like that?? 200 million sounds a bit excessive.. im pretty sure the whole thing cost them 50 millions if it ever cost that much, research included. Goverment fund projects are always over hyped and a big waste of money, "The side of a road gets broken by the rains, the hole is 10 meters long, and 2 meters wide, on the side of a dirt hill, repair cost? 3 million, when i read those things, I really think WTF, with 400.000 you could cover 100 square meters in concrete, and thats going High.

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Not necessarily overpriced. How many people do you think worked on this technology? I bet it was more than 100 and it probably took quite a few years to develop all this tech. That's just the man hours it took. Then add in all the materials that were used.

For example, the B-2 bombers in 1997 cost almost $2.1 billion dollars to research and develop, manufacture, and test. That was each aircraft.

15. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE

16. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    The Problem with this "military" research is that its not made entirely by the government, but by a commercial company, I don't need to go very far with this, but companies doesn't make discounts for the government, and they have their big benefits, doubling or tripling the amount of money needed for the job as benefits. The government needs something, the companies that can deliver it gets in contact with the government and expose their projects, and the best gets the money. Just take a look at everything from the arsenal of the USA, who build it and who sells it.

17. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  18. theimported1

theimported1 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti SLI on EK Blocks
    I have a delorean at my shop right now!

Needs new clutch+fuel injectors.

19. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X
    I am a big James Bond fan but.. That is one ugly boat.

20. The Michael

The Michael Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Yeah, let me just get my purHOLY MOTHER OF GOD 195 MILLION DOLLARS?

Aaaaaand a Fluuu... come on say it! :D

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011