PlayStation 5 Tech Details - 8x ZEN2 cores, RDNA2 with 2304 shaders (16GB GDDR6) + 825 GB (5.5 GB/s)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 18, 2020.

1. haste

haste Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    PS5's 2.23GHz is only available if the CPU is not utilized at all (running on the lowest voltage). That will not happen in 99% of cases. Realistically, the sustainable GPU frequency will be under (or close to) 2GHz. That makes XSX's GPU@1.825GHz up to 30% faster.

2. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    So Xbox has the best hardware but PS5 is probably going to have better games so i think the winner is clear...

fry178, SpajdrEX and Fediuld like this.
  3. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Member Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Xbox One X had a pretty good setup, the CPU was nice too. Yea, it was slower than "it should be" (compared to cpus) but definetly wasn't bad or a bottleneck.

4. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Light
    I'm trying to see where on the video this was even mentioned, i only saw was they capped it as 2.23 for it to run i assume without artifacts and alike. he even says they will be running at this and some games might need both to run this high, saying that worse case they might need to drop power to downvolt by 10% for a few mhz if that. And i'm assuming this is a game running 100% on gpu and cpu, how many games do that even on PC? and assuming the drop to 3.4ghz all core and maybe 2.175mhz on gpu would be a more minor dip in performance. Cause the only thing i saw was him saying this is where your gpu will normally run or close to it.

Aura89 and Fediuld like this.

5. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    Overall, I am happy with Sony, but still not sure I need this atm with my backlog. For 500 or so this is a great deal.

I also will never understand the need for PS1-3 games. Emulation will always be far better on open source platforms, and quite honestly I am not buying an expensive machine to play games from the past outside of PS4.

It's about what I expected, but all that matters is the games and VR to me.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    fry178 likes this.
  6. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    thought both consoles had SSDs ?

7. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    I apologize lol. I thought you were talking of a PC. I was just in a convo with someone saying they could do this for around 6-700 on PC and that the consoles were not that great.

Yes, of course the only other option is high-end PC to beat these things.

XenthorX likes this.
  8. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^^Yeap, vr is all that interests me on Sony consoles, it is great on the pro so with this ps5 being twice the power of the pro, plus RT and a new PSVR 2 on the way, it is going to be a very nice vr console based system......but my one worry now is will Sony have all my present vr games available on the ps5 for the psvr 2 seeing as we now know ps4 bc is not native on the ps5, and this might just opened a whole can of licensing issues and rights if the games need to be altered or patched, and who will do this, Sony or the games devs........and will it cost and who will pay......so much up in the air with bc we still don't know about. :(

Fediuld likes this.
  9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    It was still Piledriver based, running at a very low clock.

10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    Nvidia better make competitive priving on its next generation otherwise people will go for console without hesitations (wishful thinking)

jbscotchman likes this.

11. Fediuld

Fediuld Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    The difference won't be that great, however personally I find this is my best selling point.

If anyone played Thief on Mantle with AMD GPU, the TrueAudio worked wonders. Same applies to the PS3 and to a lesser extend on PSVR.

What we going to get now is a 1.9Tflop AMD GPU based soundchip to do the job. Many times better than Dolby Atmos the Xbox would have and without requiring expensive hardware to do so. Just some normal headphones.

Fox2232 likes this.
  12. Fediuld

Fediuld Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    I am with you. PS5 will have the better exclusive games.

Also seems everyone looks the tree and missing the forest, because most have in mind PCs performance in metrics like TFlops.

Lets not forget the Xbox will use DX12.1 with all it's overheads etc, while Sony will be using the new low level API made with AMD.
    It won't be using generic DX12 or Vulkan. Thats something that made the less powerful PS4/Pro using Gnmx & Gnm API have some truly spectacular and beautiful games, that on PC require a far more powerful systems to come close.

Look at Horizon Zero Dawn. I bet more than half of the GPUs would struggle to hit the same quality and FPS at 4K, it does with the pitiful 4.2Tflop GCN GPU on the PS4Pro. (is slower than the RX570 and GTX1060).

And also need to factor is the 1,9Tflop AMD GPU based soundchip. If MS tries to create same quality sound re-purposing some of the GPU grunt power it would result to lesser GPU performance than the PS5!!!! But seems those things are getting lost in translation.....

serbicu likes this.
  13. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC
    It won't be feasible in this current market north of $500. Especially considering the past few weeks.

Maddness likes this.
  14. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    It seems to me that this generation the bottleneck will be memory, as opposed to CPU with the last one.

I get that they're using a virtual memory setup with the new SSDs but that's quite far from DRAM and GDDR6 speed/latency still, even with a propriety PCIe4 interface.

Obviously I could be wrong but as 16GB (+6/8GB VRAM for most of us) isn't feeling particularly future-proof on the PC today it's not encouraging to see both new consoles limited to 16GB total memory. I'm curious if AMD has made some improvements to texture compression with RDNA2, an area where Nvidia has been doing better for a while now, as texture quality plays a big role in overall image quality and real 4K textures would be large chunk of those 16GB.

15. SniperX

SniperX Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080S Trio
    I see some headroom there for the PS5 Pro :cool:

K.S. likes this.

16. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    I am a bit hesitant to be dropping a wad of cash on a PS5. I have no use of the X, but it looks pretty solid. I just don't know. My backlog is treacherous, but I really do just want a PS5 to replace my Pro at this point so I can continue the games I left off on. No word on saved games, so that could be an issue with the games I quit waiting for better hardware.
    I really hope PS4 BC is not some shitty beta form when it launches. That would be ridiculous.
    Overall, audio stuff looks amazing, and I love the SSD. Sadly, I am just getting used to 2TB of SSD SATA storage, and my Pro is already hamstrung at 1TB. I don't know how I will deal with it, but fewer games will be installed that is for sure.
    Should be an interesting gen to say the least. PSVR2 I am there for when it comes out.

17. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Member Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    No, it was enchanted Jaguar on xbox series x. On the rest it was normal jaguar. By the time it was really optimised, and that 8*1.7x GHz wasn't bad at all.

18. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Yeah PC games are really crippled by still using ancient APIs like DX11.

When you see the draw calls per second performance difference between this and even DX12 it is sickening that we are still stuck with that old API just because most PC game engines were originally written using that.

Way too much shitty Windows overhead on PC... and they just expect PC users to throw $$€€ at it in hardware to compensate.

K.S. and Fediuld like this.
  19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I feel the PS5 may end up being the cheaper to produce. $499~$599 is reasonably priced for this. The XSX I feel will be $599~$699.

I wonder if in 6 months time if we get a 1.65TB PS5 for an extra $50-$100 price premium.

20. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Jaguar is built off bobcat, which was bulldozer without CMT. The only "enhancement" the apu had in the One X is clocked at 2.3 ghz instead of 1.7 ghz, still very low for scaling on AMD hardware.