PlayStation 4K SoC Could Feature 2304 Stream processors based AMD Polaris GPU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    These specs look good but way too low to be 4k capable at least for decent settings and frame rates.

3. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    This is very weak. My guess would be they will target a much lower resolution and then upscale it. Full HD or something bigger but not anything near 4K.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    They're going to be upscaling.

5. Ziggymac

Ziggymac Guest

GPU:
    Asus 970 Strix SLi
    Its all about getting games, ALL games, to run at a solid 1080p 60fps, which should be possible now they're putting in a GPU that is basically an AMD 390 class part.

4K is for Playstation 5.

CPU is still garbage though

6. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Interesting. It is more than a doubling of current graphics performance, if true. I wonder how that affects certain titles. Like that the order 18something, maybe it's not locked to 24fps and it'll lose its cinematic qualities :O

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So they did this just to be ready for VR?

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I'm not big into consoles, but even I know PS4 is over the xbone by a lot already... so I'm curious to see what "answer" Microsoft has for this.

9. Pixelize

Pixelize Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X
    new hardware ... double the effor for optimizing the **** , not very smart idea.
    they need to optimize it for PS4 and then for the new PS hardware and probably the only diff is that, detecting which hardware is running and change the resolution nothing more but again this is BS.
    it should be PS5 not 4 something... but if they do that and call it PS5 they need to stop developing some games for 4 and they will loose big part of the market its too early for 5.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I wasnt expecting this. This is much more powerful than "old" ps4. They gonna left them in the dust, not a good idea from Sony.

11. dmitrice

dmitrice Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 8GB
    Just bought a PS4, i'm pissed

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    AMD GCN architecture has shader count bound to TMU count.
    Basically 64SP => 1CU and that stands for 4TMUs as well.
    So, 2304SP = 144TMUs. SP count may feel too small. But it purely depends on shader complexity. And when you deal with just one architecture, it is easy thing to optimize for.

What really allows 4k natively are actually ROPs. ROP count is not bound to number of shaders in any way, only known limitation I have noticed is that AMD makes cards with ROP count in multiply of 16.

And reason why Fury and R9-390x perform about same in many scenarios is same ROP count.
    Since ROPs deal with per pixel work on final image and AA. Using heavy AA on High resolutions can put r9-390x at level of Fury X or even allow r9-390x to perform better (in case r9-390x has higher clock).

Now, Sony Original PS4 went with only 18CU = 1152SP + 72TMUs which looks bad, but on top of that they took 32ROPs (Tahiti level).
    And if they are doubling CU count to 36 = 2304SP + 144TMU, there is no reason not to believe they'll go for 64ROPs too. (R9-?90/Fury level)

So only thing which does not feel right for native 4k is move from 176 to 218GB/s on memory subsystem. But that can be controlled through resource optimizations too + They'll have newest compression.

Edit: And I would love to get my hands on 8C/16T Zen with 2048SP/128TMU/32ROPs iGPU paired with quad channel DDR4.
    Would be damn good miniITX system you can take anywhere.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    4K at 5 FPS?

That's must be one hell of an experience!

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I just love that quote : "Sony has no intentions of spliting the user base with the Neo, both consoles with share same store and interface. There will also be no Neo exclusive only games nor Neo users will be offered any exclusive gameplay options asside from running a superior version of the game, that is"

haha. :D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Take it this way: Main limitation for both old and new is now amount of shared memory = 8GB.
    You have all game code and resources there. And you will have hard time doubling texture resolution for everything due to this limitation.
    So, mostly Old PS4 will run 1080p or 900p upscaled. And New PS4 will run 2160p/1440p upscaled or 1920x2160 stretched. But there is really no big reason for making additional higher resolution set of textures.
    And considering that most people out there have 1080p TV... But I wonder about AdaptiveSync support on new generation.

Original PS4 does not support it as it is old GCN and does not even have DP. Will next PS4 have DP or will it come with that already demoed HDMI FreeSync (AdaptiveSync)?
    That would be huge nail in XBOne coffin.

16. Berke53

Berke53 Active Member

GPU:
    2x ASUS GTX 1080 Strix OC
    I don't think that will be the case if these specs are true. The CPU must be capable of outputting twice the framerate. Clockspeed increase is only 30%.

17. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    I'm kinda salty by the news. Way to **** on early adopters Sony! I for hope you have a good upgrade offer for people with the old model.

18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm not sure, but I don't think that any upgrades were possible with the older version of consoles, were they? Like PS2 - PS2 slim, PS3 - PS3 slim, was there such an offer? (I don't know never bothered...)

19. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    CPU is fine, we can really only compare on flops since benchmarks aren't really available, but it's roughly equal to an i7 2600k. Doesn't have the same single core performance, but also doesn't need it, since the developer has a lot more control and incentive to use all those CPU cores.

20. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    The revisions where for smaller dies size on the gpu and cpu so they could squize a few extra Mhz out, but the effect was not noticeable at all. This revision of the PS4 will leave the old PS4 in the dust. As mention in the VG247 article, they need to release two version of the games, one for the PS4Neo (4.5) and one for the old system.