Playstation 4 Neo Arrives End September

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 13, 2016.

1. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    For sure ps2 games collection would fit one big hdd. Unless one owns of course round about 500+ games for it. ps2 has some 3874 released for it. I would maybe buy max 150 :D

2. Luka_Aveiro

Luka_Aveiro Member

GPU:
    GTX850M
    I think this makes much sense as long as the VR support is top-notch.

4K support and higher framerate are good but not game changing, proof is that Sony doesn't want original PS4 capabilities to be overlooked at.

About cartridges and stuff, that is not a bad idea, but they would have to go with a proprietary solution cuz piracy.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The Vita was designed in an era were rewritable memory was expensive. It is not the same now. Seriously, look for prices for UHS SD cards, and you'll get what I mean immediately. Price is no longer a factor on that.

This is true, but with a fast cartridge you don't need to install. You never need to patch, just once, and you have no seek times which is something that no clever programming can alleviate.

I agree completely that they are here to stay, but for specific categories only. Virtual console games are a good example, but I could see Sega for example sell all of their Genesis strategy games in a cartridge, and charge $30-$60 for it, in addition to whatever Virtual console downloads you might have.

The console hard drive is a concession to how bad optical discs are in playing games these days. With cartridges that are based on fast nand, the console hard drive is no longer needed. A cartridge-based console only needs a bit of fast nand for app/OS storage (16-64GB) and that's it. No moving parts, no extra power. It's a win-win basically.

4. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Let's go over this one more time PR;

a) look at this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Me...1463414195&sr=8-42&keywords=microsd+card+64gb

This is a consumer card, hence, higher price, but, we'll go with it for now. Let's call it £9. Let's assume ordering a million of them cuts the price down by 2/3, which brings the price down to £3. Now compare to full-size blueray which is around ($2) £1.39. Let's call it £1.50 rounding-up. Let's assume ordering a million of them costs £0.50.

Using my BS maths, the SD is still 6x more expensive. It's also slower to manufacture. Now, an extra £2.50 per card isn't a lot, but, from the company perspective that 6x cost soon adds up (2.5x1million extra cost vs 0.50x1million normal cost). Result? Doesn't make sense from a business perspective. Not for big consoles...yet! This will eventually change, but, you won't see it this generation for PS4 or X1. Maybe next-gen will be more viable.

b) Seek-times of 0.1 is obvious advantage of ssd tech. On the other-hand, no patches? Let's test this. We take any of the recent games, let's use The Division. This game on SD will NOT negate patches. They're actually two different things. Even PS Vita games have patches. For big console games, yes, guaranteed there will be patches. Also, if such a device has a storage drive (even if it's just another memory card) and devs decide that a swap-file on this drive makes sense, then, yeah, there's going to be an install. Two "drives" are better than one, afterall.

c) I don't own a PS4 or X1, but, on PS Vita it's all categories of games. Anything you can buy retail, you can get as a digital download. I assume it's the same for those two consoles.

d) Let's look at Wii U. Biggest size is 32GB. Highly limiting and affects services Nintendo/3rd party can offer. Considering consoles are moving into the whole "home entertainment" sector, then, a small SDD on big consoles isn't going to work.

Infact, if Sony or MS do this for their next consoles, then, it's actually a step backwards. Now, also consider costs involved to change that drive to be big enough to do all those media things (films, music, pictures etc) which are taken for granted now. The situation is now the SSD-based system is too expensive, especially if we consider 1TB+ to be a likely standard on next-gen consoles (using current prices).

Might work for Nintendo, though, for a "pure gaming" system. Nintendo would be the exception to prove the rule, though.