PlayStation 3 for Spring debut

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by darknight909, Sep 26, 2005.

1. darknight909

darknight909 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    Chairman and CEO of Sony America, Sir Howard Stringer, has confirmed that the company plans to launch PlayStation 3 in Spring 2006, as expected.

The exact details of the launch still remain top secret, leading to some interesting media speculation. GamesIndustry.biz reports that, while no specific territory was mentioned in the statement, "indications are that a Japanese launch would be first - around April or May, with European and US launches following later in the year, or early in 2007".

While it is logitcal for Sony to launch in their home territory first, anything less than a near simultaneous worldwide release will be a severe blow to Sony's legion of fans outside Japan. Microsoft are doing it with Xbox 360 - an industry first - so why couldn't an electronics behemoth like Sony do it too?

If GI.biz's theory of a staggered release is correct, it will certainly make for an interesting 2006, for many reasons. The first generation Xbox very much struggled for market share in Japan, due to in part to the different style of games played there, but also an element of distrust of the western Microsoft console versus their hometown favourite, the PlayStation 2.

The relative lack of success in Japan hurt Microsoft, and they are using the clean slate of these next-generation console launches to target the average Japanese gamer more aggressively. They may only get four or five month's head start on Sony, but they will do everything they can to leverage that lead.

Meanwhile, Sony fans in the USA, Europe and other territories may be put in quite a predicament. The PlayStation 2 is already widely regarded as technically inferior to Xbox, and while the Xbox 360 vs PlayStation 3 fight is yet to be decided, the question is whether the Sony fanboys can last six or even twelve months longer waiting for PS3 to arrive when all their mates are enjoying lush HD gaming on their Xbox 360s?

If you're Japanese, the answer is probably "yes". In a recent survey of 1000 male & female console owners in Japan revealed that a whopping 72.3% said they would buy a PS3 when it is released. This figure is really quite amazing, given that SCE President Ken Kutaragi has stated that PlayStation 3 won't be cheap; deliberately price even. "We want people to feel that they want it, no matter what," he said.

Just 5.8% of Japanese gamers surveyed fancied picking up an Xbox 360 this Christmas. Team Xbox certainly has their work cut out for them.

2. dizzin9

dizzin9 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE
    i'll buy xbox 360 for sure on nov. 22. ps3 is crap and looks like some oven toaster with controller of a n64. just look at that bundle ($399) which almost has everything u need to play - it's worth it. ps3 could even go over $400 ... wtf.

3. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    if i frickin have to wait till 2007 for ps3 ill be getting an xbox 360. then much later getting ps3

4. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    I got a 7800GTX instead of either:D The hell with console gaming, I can't keep up with PC gaming as it is:p

5. top_gun36

top_gun36 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9800 Pro|MR9600 Pro Turbo
    That spring release date is for Japan.....as history has shown (with PSX, PS2 and PSP), Sony always releases its consoles 1st in Japan, then NA, then EU.

If going by the PS2's release.....it will be released in Japan March 06 and in NA by Oct 06

6. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Yeah, I'll think I'll just re build my rig when DX10 is released....

7. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    You will be lucky to see the PS3 by spring of 2007 here in the U.S:p

8. lIqUI[]

lIqUI[] Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680DCU II OC
    what is this based on? have you played a PS3 already or are you just guessing its crap? If so then whats crappy about it? the features, games or what?

9. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5700xt 8gig
    looks sweet to me and I like nvidia so i am supporting two companies.

10. Hamid

Hamid Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 7800 GTX @ STOCK
    Most likely every one would be getting a 360 this winter and PS3 in next winter. Also the media for the PS3 i.e a blu ray disc will be expensive and by the time it will start getting cheaper, people will tend to buy more PS3 and the more blu ray discs containing games.

PS3 is much superior than 360 in terms of technology but still microsoft would be able to sell a lot due to its earlier launch

11. solidsnake313

solidsnake313 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Albatron GF9500 GT 1GB
    2007?? you kiddin?
    then I guess I'll just spend my precious money on a 7800GTX and play Unreal Tournament 2007 by then! These guys are crazy... how long do they think they can keep people waiting? Microsoft's really getting the better of Sony on this; doesn't matter how better PS3 is when it'll be out when we're too old to play games!!

12. Hamid

Hamid Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 7800 GTX @ STOCK
    Yeah thats right. we cannot get our hands on the PS3 until 2007

13. BodyBag

BodyBag Master Guru

GPU:
    POV465 @ 470
    Well, Im tired of upgrading my pc graphics card, so I'm splashing out and going for an XBOX 360..............

"Just 5.8% of Japanese gamers surveyed fancied picking up an Xbox 360 this Christmas. Team Xbox certainly has their work cut out for them"

I dont agree with this statement, the last I heard roughly 23-25 % are interested....

Sony will have to play catch up for once.........IMO