Playing old games on new hardware.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by jbscotchman, May 29, 2020.

1. dezo

dezo Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080s
    Ghosty: BFG edition sucks with its ugly audio/video compression and gameplay changes. If you want to play original Doom 3, you should check dhewm3 source port:
    https://github.com/dhewm/dhewm3
    Just copy your base folder to that and you are good to go for your native display resolution including EAX audio emulation. Recently I created an experimental build for 144Hz monitors if you have one, so you can even try that. There are some minor glitches with physics, but nothing game breaking.
    https://github.com/dhewm/dhewm3/issues/250

2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3
    Tried that with a couple of differnt mods. Game crashes on startup. Sadly there are no Steam workshop mods either.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  3. dezo

dezo Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080s
    Does it crash even without any mods? Just the pak00x.pk4 in base folder? Doesn't crash for me on any PC I have.
    As for original Doom 3 mods, this source port works only with the ones without custom dll. Mods that require dll for gameplay changes must be recompiled before using with it.

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Try SikkMod.

It doesn't alter gameplay but allows running at any res. and you get a metric ton of added eye candy (all of which can be tweaked / disabled).

Though word of warning, there are some "easy installers" for it that also add lots of other crap that often alter the game.

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3
    Nothing works because of the Steam. It has to be verified.

6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    i got my disk version of doom 3. never got thru it got lost in some dark hall twisty bit at some point.