Playing HD Movies on my RadeOn 4850

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by SoulSlave, Dec 11, 2008.

1. SoulSlave

SoulSlave Member

GPU:
    PowerColor Radeon HD 4850
    This might have been already asked before (i did not found anything though)...

How can I configure my RadeOn 4850 to play HD movies? Do I need a specific driver? Program?

Is there any tutorial around?

THX!

2. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    What do you mean exactly by playing HD movies, any drivers should run em just fine as long as your screen has the proper max resolution

What file type/format are you trying to view

3. SoulSlave

SoulSlave Member

GPU:
    Ok, let me clarify that...

My computer is the one on my profile.

And my situation is this:

I have two programs that I use for playing HD content, VLC and FFMpeg, but none of those seem to use my GPU, so there's a ton of load on my CPU wich is NOT the most energy efficient out there, and since 4850 already have a high idle power requirements, i thought I could use this wasted "power" to some good.

I generally watch high res *.mkv files using x264 codec ( I live in Brazil, so it's not a matter of choice to download movies, it's a matter of need).

And I currently have Vista X64 and Catalyst 8.11

If I am forgetting some info, please, let me know...

4. SoulSlave

SoulSlave Member

GPU:
    Oh, and my monitor is an 1680x1050 one, it is lower than 1080p, but I prefer to "downscale" a 1080p movie than upscale a 720p one...

5. bize

bize New Member

GPU:
    evga 8800gt 512
    i cant specially answer your question however i personally get alot more use out of MPC (media player classic) for playing hd files like mkv and etc..there are alot more plugin and filter options. most of the research ive done regarding to media players for hd content came up with mpc or cyberlink depending on the file type..i do use vlc for some files though