Played with some headphones last night! :)

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by N0sferatU, Apr 19, 2009.

1. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Old Radeon (not gamer)
    Had some fun with some nice audio equipment last night. Details to follow for those interested. Anyways used 4 rather upscale headphones, a pricey amplifier, and a really kick-ass CD player.

The players here were the Sennheiser HD595, the Sennheiser HD650, AKG 702, and the Grado SR-80.

They were amplified using the Benchmark DAC 1 Pre and played audio through a KAV-300cd. The Benchmark DAC 1 has USB connectivity (aka bypass the soundcard on the computer) so we did this as well to test out various MP3's and FLACs.

Simply incredible I'll leave at for a start. I own the Grado and HD595's and got a chance to try amplifying them! It certainly makes a difference compared to plugging it into an iPod or the like (but I already knew that). What shocked me was my custom audio setup on my home PC is very similar in sound (google Auzentech and LM4562 if you want an idea of what I'm talkin about).

About the LM4562'd X-Meridian, honestly that and my Auzen Forte's headphone amp make the HD595's sound eerily similar to that DAC1. Granted I don't have both in front of me at the moment (my friend has the DAC1, HD650's, and AKG's he will be returning). In the next few weeks he's planning on bringing over the DAC 1 to my place to A, B, C that DAC with the two Auzen cards and jam the SR-80's, and both HD headphones.

Anyways the best sounding of them all is the HD650 with that amplifier! Good God :eek: I've never heard sound so good before. The HD595's sound similar but lack the definition down low. They both have killer bass, killer midrange, and the HD595 has a bit more clarity up top. I'd keep either of the two in my house. The AKG 702's were a huge disappointment and sounded flat. They sounded great if you listen to them first but as soon as you switch to the 595's or 650's you just go wow the AKG's sound terrible.

The Grado SR80s I have are damaged a bit so it'd be an unfair comparison but they did sound rather nice. For $95 they definitely rule for bang for your buck...but hey we weren't going that route last night. ;)

ALL FOUR OF 'EM
    [​IMG]

AKG 702
    [​IMG]

HD595
    [​IMG]

HD650
    [​IMG]

Grado SR80
    [​IMG]

Amplifier :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Great stuff.

3. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Have you tried letting the DAC do the...DACing?

It might have better performance than the DACs in the CD player. Just a thought :)

Lovely setup though - very tasty!

4. opozoid25

opozoid25 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x BFG GTX 285 OC SLI
    Nice N0sferatU! I just picked up a P-51 Mustang amp for my Grado 325i headphones, but my source probably doesn't justify anything more expensive. I'm just using my Prelude analog out. I was considering a DAC of some sort - do you think its worth it?

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The Prelude is fairly good analog source.

6. HellsAn631

HellsAn631 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295 715/1250
    excuse the drool from my mouth sir. Must have been amazing

im thinking of buying a pair of 595's myself, along with the xonar essence.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  7. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Anybody know how the Audio Technica ad-700 compares to these cans? I'm trying to decide between those and the Sennheiser and Grados. I can't really go over $100 but I can go lower!

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The STX and HD595's make a great combo. I was using that setup awhile ago. Now, I am using the ST with the HD595's when I use headphones.

9. HellsAn631

HellsAn631 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295 715/1250
    well im waiting for the ST to come out so i can have my 5.1 hooked up via analog connection as well, before i buy it.

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 FE +130/+430
    I seen some Ultrasone HFI-550s on www.rmcaudiodirect.com for 75$ tho these are alienware edition of those same cans. There basicy rebranded Ultrasone HFI-550s but white and black. There one the and the same Ultrasone HFI-550s.

Also Amazon once had some Ultrasone HFI-700's for $29 new from guitarcenter, I dont know when guitarcenter will list them again.

I dont know how HFI-550 compare to AD-700s and Sennheiser and grados.

Last edited: May 2, 2009

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    If I had to guess, I would say the ST will be out in 2-3 months.
    Great sounding card for analog use...

12. Coolchris

Coolchris Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 512mb GForce 8800GT
    Ive got both the SR80s and the HD595s...dont ask, LOL>