Play an instrument? Share your stuff here

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by The Kyle, Feb 14, 2006.

1. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    Very very good. I was waiting for vocals though til I re-read your post and saw the (instrumental). I wish people with actual skill (like you) would play at some of the places I goto see local bands. It's all talentless bastards like me :D.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  2. Chud Hammer

Chud Hammer Member Guru

GPU:
    His IceQ HD3870XT
    hey hey, thought i'd chip in on the instrument thing too :D
    Ive been plying drums <-- for about 3 years now and am currently working towards grade 5.
    Admitedly its not too hard, i just only got round to buying the book with the grade pices in!
    I also drum in a Local Band called "the brownies" we have a myspace, with some old recordings (before i was drummer) if you want to check it out (i wont plug the website!). I have yet to actually play any gigs with my band because we need to practice more, but we have some new songs under development.

and now you know a little more about moi :p

3. Damnit

Damnit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFI R9 390
    I might as well jump on the 'band' wagon.
    I play guitar and bass. I played drums for 2 years but dropped that after I did alto saxophone for 1 year. Ive been keeping up on guitar for 7 years now and I've gotten pretty good so far. My guitar teacher before i stopped taking lessons made me write and record my own song. He did the keyboard in the background which kinda made it sound a bit hoakey. Plus he dropped the temp to 150 which now it just sounds cheesy so I'll speed it back up and host it once I find the CD.

4. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9300M GS
    lol thnx. You're definitely not talentless though, you can sing while playing! No way I could do that except on certain songs that i know sooooooooooooo well i can play 'em in my sleep, heheh...

5. shrapnel22

shrapnel22 Master Guru

GPU:
    Chaintech 6800GT @ 400/1100
    Piano for 10 years - I play classical (grade 10 and AR level) and jazz - Kawai upright
    Tenor Sax for 7 years - Jazz and wind ensemble - Selmer Serie III
    Soprano Sax for 1 year - solo, basically just fool around - Yamaha Custom YSS-875 Black Lacquer

Saxophones are one of the more expensive band instuments, if you want to a good model. I'm just thankful for parents who support me alot when it comes to music. It blows my mind to think that I walk around carrying $10k worth of saxophones - and haven't been mugged yet!!

6. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9300M GS
    Imagine being able to put that kind of money in your PC ;)

7. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    My gf's sister plays sax and she says that you are one lucky sob for having such nice stuff.

8. SorrowsSong

SorrowsSong Member Guru

GPU:
    2x8800 GTX 625/2000
    I've been playing for around 6 months. Right now I have no mics nor band, and I'm currently playing Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin, with all the bells and whistles, solos and stuff.

Ah, my equipment :

An Epiphone Flying-V Goth with 2 Gibson Humbuckers. Gotta love that axe!

EDIT: When I have the opportunity I will upload some pics to show the beauty :)

9. Dr. Vodka

Dr. Vodka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
    I meant, like learning to play the simple guitar only parts of some songs.. not the entire songs. That's what I'm doing. Also, I'm taking guitar lessons, I'm not learning on my own :)

10. YurAnus

YurAnus Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobile Radeon HD 5730
    I have been playing guitar for 11 years. I Worked in a guitar store while in high school, studied classical guitar/voice in collage. I have played in several bands over those 11 years so I have alot of stuff. I am not into guitar as much as I use to be. Due to the fact that I am a singer in a group that goes allover the world so when I am home I don't mess with music much. Gaming is my way of relaxing for now. Here is some of the stuff I own.

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL,
    2x12 Fender cabinet,
    Roland Micro Cube practice amp,
    Yamaha AES electric
    Ibanez RG-220 B electric
    Yamaha CG-171S classical Guitar
    2 Yamaha acoustic guitars FG335II/F-310P
    Fender P-bass
    10 Pedels+
    Roland JV-30 synthesiser/keyboard
    Tascam PortaStudio 488 8 Track
    Sure sm-58 volcal mic
    Peavey volcal mic
    Cool Edit Pro 2.0 syntrillium software
    Bags and bags of accesories/crap. lol

I have a few guitars that I am "building" I have been building for several years. I will Never finish them because I am too lazy and never get around to it. When I have money to blow I use it on my computer or car. I played the cello in High School and was in the Drumline in the marching band. I do play the drums pretty well. I am no Mike Portnoy but I am good enough to have played for several churches.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006

11. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    I used to play the keyboard back in Grade 8 but I was never that good at it. Completely self taught though.

I do DJ my RC club's annual airshow.

12. YurAnus

YurAnus Master Guru

GPU:
    Here is some pics of some my stuff.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    Completely self taught over here. Been playing since December of 04. I learned some easy Linkin Park, Rage against the Machine, and punk covers. Now I'm working on some hard songs mostly by JerryC. Anybody here who hasn't seen him play needs to. The more you know about guitar playing and techniques the more you appreciate and envy his skill lol.

14. Opty

Opty Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Gecube x1900xtx
    Guitarist here.

I like your Iba their YurAnus :) I'm a RG series owner too.

15. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9300M GS
    You *****, you stole my JCM! ;)...

I soooooo wish I could afford one of those right now, heheh... mmmmm tube! *melts*...

JerryC? never heard of him... If you're looking for amazing skill, look no further than paul gilbert... learn technical difficulties and you'll have most of the skills (including more than enough speed) you need to play in a decent rock/metal band, hehehhe... As for amazing showmanship - Matt Bellamy (Muse)... that dude is soooooo fun to watch onstage, so much emotion and energy. I wish I could do half the stuff he does while still playing guitar and singing at the same time, lol...

16. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    You should really check out some songs be JerryC man. He is so good and he does a sweet rock version of Canon in D along with other cool songs.

17. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9300M GS
    SOunds good, I'll check my local record store tomorrow :)... better be good!

18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Played Piano for over 4-5 years then quit. Currently playing guitar for less than a year (Acoustic).

19. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    JerryC reminds me so much of the music in Sonic the Hedgehog for Dreamcast.

20. YurAnus

YurAnus Master Guru

GPU:
    Do any of you listen to dream theater? I love there style and creativity.