1. Silent_Takedown

Silent_Takedown Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 WF3
    Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a new TV as the sales and such are coming up and things. I've been having a look around for the last month and I keep putting myself off the more I read about the different techs and reviews of TVs that I've looked at, thought "Great! that's the one" then read a review of some major issues. I just don't know where to go anymore so I need some help please!

I believe I currently have http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-32LG5700-32-Full-LCD/dp/B001E1RKZ2/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324469387&sr=1-4

I'd like to know a few things, if you TV Gurus would be able to help.
    What do you guys believe is better, Plasma or LED?
    What would be better for gaming?, as I'll have the 360 hooked up to it (which I don't use all that much anymore but I will from time to time)
    Is the internet feature any good on TVs?
    and are the built in Freeview/Freesat HD sets any good?

I'd been pretty much set on the LG 42LW550T http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-42LW550T-Widescreen-Internet-Freeview/dp/B004WQNGYU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324470007&sr=1-2 and was waiting to see if would come down in price a bit but then read it had terrible ghosting when using the 360.

I also like the look of this Panasonic http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-P42ST30B-42-inch-Internet-Ready-Freeview/dp/B004TFDTMS/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324470360&sr=1-2 but can't help thinking whether I should go with LED or not?.

I know it's difficult, as quite often it's down to peoples own preference but would you have any recommendations? or TV sets you are currently using that are amazing. I'd be looking for the above features at 42" and between £500 - £700.

Thanks all.

2. Jayaitch

Jayaitch Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 460
    Doesn't matter what you have mate, I will still own you on Battelfield 3 regardless :p

OT: I personally think LED is the best choice, colours just seem alot more alive and richer.

But you have to check though before buying because some advetised LED's are just LED Backlit and not actually LED displays (Correct me if I am wrong)

3. Silent_Takedown

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 WF3
    Sup Jayaitch,

The deuce? I'm going to shoot you in the back of the head later!

Aye that's the problem, I've been doing a lot of checking and just can't decide. I know there are a few types of LED screens. You get edge lit, (or whatever the technical term is) which is LEDs down the vertical sides of the screen, which provide LED light across the screen, on the horizontal lines

Fully edge lit, which provides LED light along the vertical and horizontal lines and then fully LED backlit which is LEDs all over the place. Not the most technical of knowledge I know but I believe they are the different types.

I know you have an LED monitor at the moment, which I haven't seen but I know you're impressed with it.

4. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    you get plasma due to response time 0.001ms*. you may not get any LED TV/monitor because all TV's/monitors have LED backlight (not LED pixels but still LCD pixels).

I wait buy plasma Panasonic 42". :)

* - response time 0.001ms = almost no motion blur. :D while any LCD/LCD-LED 2-5ms = still motion blur after I tested. ;)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Make it short, plasma is the best all around. I have a Panasonic Viera 50in and it is just fantastic to say the least

6. Silent_Takedown

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 WF3
    Thanks for the replied ricardonuno1980 and Agent-A01.

Plasma is the way to go then.

So is there much of a difference between Plasma and LED? I know Plasma has been around for a long while now but it seems everyone is jumping up and down and yelling about LED tvs, is it much better at all?

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    LED tvs are just more affordable; thats why the are more popular. But plasmas are better; better contrast ratio, better blacks, better response times, higher refresh rates. The list goes on. Led tvs are thinner, use less power, and lighter but i wouldnt base my decision on those factors

8. Silent_Takedown

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 WF3
    Ah ha! I see.

Thank you Agent-A01, that's great. I shall have a look at Plasmas and possibly go with one of them. I've got my eyes on that Panasonic I linked. It might be the same as yours but the 42".

Thanks again.

9. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780ti
    There is one thing though.
    I am not sure about latest generation of Plazmas but few yeas back they were not good for gaming due to burnt in image on the screen. Example. If you play any game and you have mini map on your screen all the time next thing you know you will see image of this mini map when you finished playing and watching a movie. The LCD TV did not have that problem.
    Maybe new Plazmas are different now but maybe it is different.

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Yeah thats not an issue anymore, my last plasma from 2006 i think had that problem BUT at default it was designed to turn off if there was no reported activity for a while. Nowadays that is a non issue so i wouldnt worry about that at all.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Also yes that plasma is very good, you are right it is the same model just smaller.

12. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    i would get the plasma if wanted 3D altough both have it plasma has less 3D cross talk.

13. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Vivid colors doesn't mean "quality" Have you seen Vera's in THX mode? They look dull compared to other vivid displays. But when you're watching movies, you immediately thank Panasonic for THX color mode because it looks the most accurate to the real thing.

A lot of people pick a TV and say "it has better colors" because vibrance/saturation has been jacked up. That's a very good way to fail.

Panasonic Plasma. All you need to know about TVs.

14. FearFactory

FearFactory Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX570 X 4GB
    This :)

15. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I think there's alot of misinformation in this thread...
    Not all Plasmas have better blacks..
    Many Plasmas have average LCD blacks !
    Many plasmas also use similar auto dimming features to give out better blacks..
    Some plasma's have awesome blacks but many plasma's suck @ producing bright picture (producing a pale flushed out white image)
    Plasmas also suffer from producing blurry images (regardless of all it's claims for being faster) some plasma's suffer from judder issues too..
    Trailing also still exists..
    Also plasmas produce less crispier HD images..

Both have their pros and cons but it's not as simple as saying Plasma's are better or LCDs are better... matter of preference , model , location , use etc..
    Depends what TV ur pitting against which..
    I dislike many Panasonic Plasma's but there are some that are awesome..
    I hate most things by LG , I like Samsung but am a Sony user..

About accurate colors , latest LCD/LED's have very accurate colors , it also comes down to calibrating ur set.. by default most LCD's have very inaccurate settings

plasma's are cheaper actually !!!!!

16. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If I were in ur position , I'd get my self the Sony EX720 40''
    It's not a perfect TV for gaming but I'd still use it for that.. since the overall product is great..

The Panasonic Plasma you listed looks great also..
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL40EX723BU-Widescreen-Internet-Freeview/dp/B004S9DWW2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324585767&sr=1-2

But if ur willing to spend abit more on top and want something that is @ a cross between both worlds then try the Samsung D7000 40" better for gaming and 3D (brighter , tilt issue free) over the Sony EX720 ,tho the sony might still have a better 2d image for movies and cable )
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE40D7000-1080P-Freeview-Motion/dp/B004XKCBPK/ref=sr_1_59?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324586153&sr=1-59

17. Snarl

Snarl Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
    I just bought a Panasonic TCP55GT30 Plasma and the pictures awesome, sharp with excellent blacks. I originally went in the store intending to buy a Samsung LED and it also had an excellent picture, at first it appeared sharper and better than the plasma.
    Turned out the Colour Settings were over saturated on the Plasma, we set it to THX Mode and brightened it up a bit and Bingo it edged out the Samsung in Picture quality and the refresh rate when panning was superior (tried a Space Scene with Stars, stayed clear and smooth).
    I'm sure you could tweak the picture quality on both units continually improving the picture however at the end of the day the Plasma looked better to my eye and the blacks were definitely deeper.

18. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 1GB 5850@840/1140

a nice balanced reply and i agree

19. Silent_Takedown

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 WF3
    Hey all,

I'm still researching and looking at a few sets, also hoping a few might drop down in price after Christmas.

Marri, that D7000 is beauitful! I've seen them in store and they do look great but sadly I couldn't stretch that far for a tv but who knows, maybe I'll go nuts and spend a shed load.

I wonder if a store somewhere would let me try them out and I mean really try them out, as though I was using it at home. Play with the settings, set up a 360, watch tv, watch 3D, the works :p

Just wanted to say thank you all for the replies, helpful as always and I'll check out the tvs you have mentioned and make a decision at some point.

20. Silent_Takedown

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 WF3
    Hey all,

Just wanted to say thanks for all your replies and your input.

I visited a few stores and spend ages going round and round so I had a good comparison between LED/Plasma and some of the sets I had been looking at. I liked the Panasonic Smart VIERA TX-P42GT30B. It turned up on Wednesday just gone and so far I'm really freaking impressed. I was a little worried about what SD would be like on the TV as I'm certain I'd read some people say SD looked really bad but so far it does it well. Freeview HD is pretty darn nice and the 360 also looks great on there. Haven't played with everything yet but I will. Great TV.

So thanks again all for your assistance, great as always and helped me come to a decision.