Plane crash, on my street.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by T1tan, Feb 13, 2009.

1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    it's like proFits said. plane crashes are more of a national news occurrence because they happen FAR less frequently than car crashes, and there's a nearly definite chance that anyone involved isn't gonna make it, or at least not without being seriously injured. That plane in the Hudson i guess is the ball that was kicked outta the fence on that one. But like it was said... there was absolutely zero panic by the pilot. even when he was telling ATC that he was landing in the Hudson, and ATC thought they heard him wrong, he still was completely calm. Panic is what get's people killed in stuff like that.

Not to mention car crashes aren't that interesting. We all know that there's a BOATLOAD of people out there that seem like they learned how to drive by playing Need for Speed or some other crappy driving game. The problem is they took the non-realism of whatever driving game they played.... and skewed it to their own liking. Probably why even pile-up's involving a few cars are somewhat lucky to make it to local news. Unless it involves someone popular, then everyone and their Korean aunt from their mother's uncle's side halfway across the world knows about it before you do.

2. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    Ive driven around without a license whats the big deal... if your a good driver why get put thorough all the hassle.

3. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Master means yeh ok its safer yeh but in a car or bus crash you are more likey to live then in a plan crashing at say 300 MPH

4. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    The one man in the house killed?

Donnie Darko!

5. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    airplanes are flying all the time above our heads, the odds of something like this happening is not as small as someone might think, it's not scary either, just surprising and of course sad considering 49 people lost their lives.

theoretically it is, statistically maybe, i still hate flying since i was a child but that's only because i hate altitudes even though i do not suffer from claustrophobia. :wanker:

you have the same probability as everyone else of dying from any cause, the blade of your mixer flying out and cutting your throat, electricution, car accidents, slipping on a banana and cracking your skull on the sidewalk, you name it.

with this said statistics are only half of the truth, i also believe airplanes are not really safer than any other transportation method.

a friend of mine once told me ships are the safest because you can jump in the water, i countered by telling him that waters could be infested by sharks and barracudas, you survive the ship you die eaten by a fish let alone hypothermia or drowning. :D

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  6. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Ok, Year.... i think someone's spent WAY too much time watching the Final Destination series (note: i REALLY hope they make a FD4). What's your next example? Driving down the freeway at 60MPH.... the drain plug for your oil pan falls out, the oil drains from your engine, causing it to seize, shattering piston rods, and sending searing hot shrapnel out through the valve cover, cutting the fuel line, catching the fuel on fire, which travels back to your gas tank, causing your car to go up in a ball of fire? lol

Let's put it this way.... if your pilot's not a moron... there's a GOOD chance that flying is basically the safest means of transportation. Think of it in this perspective. Very few things can happen in the very few hours it'd take to fly from one side of the country to the other. Even fewer that could cause the plane to have to land, or even worse, crash. If you're driving.... yes, YOU could be the best driver in the world, and say "i'll never get into an accident.... i'm not that dumb.". What you have to consider is the THOUSANDS of other drivers you'd pass along that drive cross-country that would take probably a day and a few hours not being the brightest bit in the tool shed. Also the animals you could hit, or failures with your car, that you'd have no control over, that could cause you to crash.

Just a lot less issues that could occur with a flight than with a drive.

7. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
  8. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    haha nothing to do with Final Destination but now that i re-read it does sound like it lol

nah i was just saying that you can indeed die of any cause and was encouraging him to not be afraid of aircrafts unless he suffers from a specific phobia. :)

i still don't believe aircrafts are the safest because nothing really is yet as you said less issues could occur during flight and if any happens can be dealt with most of the time because pilots are very well trained. ;)

but hey that's life, as long as you breathe anything can kill you, i still think it's no reason to lock yourself at home or avoid boarding a plane, that's for sure.

i wasn't wrong afterall. :grad:

9. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    In a plane crash you die in a horrific fireball at least in a car crash you get mangled possibly live ok ill admit heights scare me, but not being in control of the plane scares me what if the pilot is a looney?!?

Also you have the anticipation of crashing in a plane wheres in a car you don't really.

Hell i dont even trust buses since my school bus drove into an irrigation ditch.

Also when i was going on holiday to Ibiza the plane lost electricty this was like 3 years ago **** me that was scary...

10. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. XtcSkuLL

XtcSkuLL Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1060GTX
    unbelievable man. thats why i never get on planes and I ll never do. I feel sorry for the guys who made airplanes. All we have all the time is massive kills

12. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    Fruit of Gods lol

what cant they do- sex, killing power, whitening teeth, help the diabetic, used as a gun, potential boomberang....

amazing truly amazing

As for planes the potential for disaster is so high there's so much mechanical stuff going on if one thing were to fail your dead. One thing sucks ass im stuck to seeing Europe :( i love America would love to go back got some awesome cousins there also the theme parks there are sick.

13. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690

do like Christopher Colombus and sail :p if there's no ocean/sea, take a train to the closest country with one then take a ship and sail, you won't reach America in 8 hours, maybe 8 days if not more but you will eventually.. that is if you don't board the TITANIC. :D

14. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    lol Titanic sounds like a plan, i think ill make a boat and sail north :)

15. Pyro the Dragun

Pyro the Dragun Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M
    I believe it involved a buildup of ice on the wings? From what little I've heard the pilot started to angle the plane for landing and that ice caused both wings to lose lift, making the plane drop like a rock. I could be totally wrong though.

16. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    Alot of planes are aging and aren't being pulled from service and sometimes the maintenance is... so i can see more accidents happening more frequently... wish it wasnt the case though.

17. meran

meran Guest

GPU:
    sapphire 5850 2gb @850
    well thats their desteny if they dont die in a plane the die in a carbomb or something.
    6 years ago when US forces got in iraq a cruise missile exploded about 750 meters away.
    also i've seen two carbombs blast in front of my eyes and my dad survied a carbomb just 5meters away !! also ive seen side road bombs one 40 meters away from me and another 250 meters away and thats just me!

18. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    that's exactly what i've been thinking lately, aging planes and there's so much you can do about maintainance before the plane becomes beyond repair, i don't really blame em either because airplanes do cost a lot of money and companies go with "accident = possible but unlikely" so they gamble with the lives of the passengers. :frown: